Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 AM

Default What's the fastest and most stable CPU/Motherboard combo right now...

I'm done with random buffer errors and constantly adjusting my buffer size to try to make it through a bounce without an error. And now that I'm switching to 88.2K, apparently, my Q6600 on an Asus P5B isn't enough to handle a decent sized session with plugins. So it's time for an upgrade...

My first priority is stability/compatibility. I want to know the tried and tested motherboard that has NO issues. My (close) second is speed. I need to be able to handle 32 tracks at 88.2 with plenty of plugins.

So, what CPU/Mobo combo should I be getting? Btw, price is not a major factor. I'm not looking for the best "value". I want stable and fast.

WATYF
Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 AM

Default Re: What's the fastest and most stable CPU/Motherboard combo right now...

The only significant upgrade on PC platform would be to go for core i7 system. There is a dedicated thread (do a search). Best motherboard I believe is Gigabyte X58 UD4R. and reports are that it is a killer.

If money is no issue you might consider 8 core MAC pro that will preform about the same as a core i7 of the same clock. (though the i7 can be overclocked...:))

Have you considered OCing your current system? a slight overclock can go a long way in terms of plugin count
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Default Re: What's the fastest and most stable CPU/Motherboard combo right now...

Here is the i7 thread
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 AM

It is slightly overclocked right now, but I don't want to push it too much.

Thanks for the input... I will look into the i7's and the Gigabyte board. Any other recommendations?

WATYF
Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 AM

It may not be the latest. But your system should handle some big stuff. What does your DVERB test look like.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
It may not be the latest. But your system should handle some big stuff. What does your DVERB test look like.
I'm not too concerned about a benchmark. After converting to 88.2, I opened an actual session from a client and the thing slowed to a crawl. I was in the upper 80% system usage.

The speed is a concern, but my main issue is compatibility. I'm sick of dealing with random buffer errors and sessions where I can't get through a bounce without it throwing an error right before the song is over. I want a motherboard that is known for being rock-solid with PT LE.

WATYF
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

My P5Q is rock solid. Huge sessions all day wih fussy clients.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
My P5Q is rock solid. Huge sessions all day wih fussy clients.
Yeah... I was pretty shocked. A Q6600 isn't exactly a wimpy CPU, so I'm not sure why it can't handle it.

The last straw was today. I had some clients in and couldn't even press PLAY on a session with 8 tracks armed and two tracks of scratch (no plugins). The click track kept getting disabled because it couldn't handle the "processing power" needed to run the click plugin. It made no sense, since the system usage was at about 9%.

So I'm gonna look into the i7 and the gigabyte board, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

WATYF
Old 03-14-2009, 04:42 PM

I'm also having severe performance problems...on a new setup with: Asus P5-WS, Q9550, ATI radeon 4650, Corsair Dominator 4g TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF. I'm getting near the point that I suspect the mobo...but I have a few more things to check.

TOM - which interface are you running? Glad to hear your setup is solid. If I change Mobos I'm going to try the P5Q Deluxe.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
I'm not too concerned about a benchmark. After converting to 88.2, I opened an actual session from a client and the thing slowed to a crawl. I was in the upper 80% system usage.
Doing a benchmark gives us an indicator that your system is on spec and up to speed. I run massive sessions on my Q6600. 60+ tracks easy. If the average Dverb benchmark is around 275 and you're doing 150 for example, then that tells us there is something wrong right there.

My first suggestion before spending money on a new rig is benchmarking your current system. If the system isnt set up properly, you could possibly bring those same problems to your i7 build and have no resolution.

Benchmarking is a measurement tool that also lets one know if a system is on par with everyone else. It should be done for that alone in my opinion.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit