Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 04:43 AM

Default Sonarworks and HDX

Anyone using Sonarworks and HDX? I like what the calibration did to my monitor system but I'm concerned about latency while tracking.

I use an older Aviom system for headphone mixes which gets its feeds from sends to my HD|IO. I've had situations where a heaving hitting native plugin on the master caused issues in headphones.

All feedback welcome!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 03-26-2017, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Sonarworks and HDX

People with Trinnovs turn them off I believe whilst tracking, so I would have thought the same would apply to Sonarworks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 AM

I have the sonarworks as plugin. I leave it on while tracking. There is a setting of how the process is applied. There is 3 settings. 1st is low latency which seems to satisfy tracking requirements. 2nd setting is what they recommend for mixing and mastering. 3rd setting has highest latency but I'm not sure what it is used for.
My cues are fed via 192 outputs as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I have the sonarworks as plugin. I leave it on while tracking. There is a setting of how the process is applied. There is 3 settings. 1st is low latency which seems to satisfy tracking requirements. 2nd setting is what they recommend for mixing and mastering. 3rd setting has highest latency but I'm not sure what it is used for.
My cues are fed via 192 outputs as well.

Yes, the lowest latency setting in Sonarworks is useable. But for the lowest latency while tracking, what I do is insert a DSP EQ that mimics the Sonarworks curve and disable Sonarworks. It's not perfect, but with 7 or 8 bands, it's fairly easy to get it close.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
Yes, the lowest latency setting in Sonarworks is useable. But for the lowest latency while tracking, what I do is insert a DSP EQ that mimics the Sonarworks curve and disable Sonarworks. It's not perfect, but with 7 or 8 bands, it's fairly easy to get it close.
That's a great idea.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:16 AM

Would it be possible (and how) to shoot an Impulse Response through the Sonarworks and use that IR in Space (AAX DSP)...?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Duemmler View Post
Would it be possible (and how) to shoot an Impulse Response through the Sonarworks and use that IR in Space (AAX DSP)...?
So put the room into a aax dsp plugin to eliminate the latency.
I love it.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:12 AM

Hiya,

Reviving this thread! So I've been using Sonarworks on my master in low latency mode while tracking. All is good until I am overdubbing into an evolved mix with a combination of native and DSP plugins. Talent is listening to a headphone mix derived from sends from individual tracks and I of course am monitoring through the master.

Headphone mix i'm assuming is fine ( no one complains) but listening in the control room I'm feeling like the live overdub track sounds delayed or late while tracking and then sounds better in time on playback (or I've just been tracking some bad players).

Haven't done a controlled test yet, but I'm wondering if its because the plugins on the master are not delay compensated? If that's the case then maybe if I route all my tracks to a stereo AUX first and put Sonarworks on the aux if maybe the latency of the Sonarworks plugin would then be delay compensated.

Whaddaya think?
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 12-22-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
All is good until I am overdubbing into an evolved mix with a combination of native and DSP plugins. Talent is listening to a headphone mix derived from sends from individual tracks and I of course am monitoring through the master.

Headphone mix i'm assuming is fine ( no one complains) but listening in the control room I'm feeling like the live overdub track sounds delayed or late while tracking and then sounds better in time on playback (or I've just been tracking some bad players).

Haven't done a controlled test yet, but I'm wondering if its because the plugins on the master are not delay compensated? If that's the case then maybe if I route all my tracks to a stereo AUX first and put Sonarworks on the aux if maybe the latency of the Sonarworks plugin would then be delay compensated.

Whaddaya think?

I always preferred having sonwarworks on an aux and using even another aux as a master when I was using it. This way you can create a bus that you bounce from and out SW after that bus and not have to worry about disabling SW when you bounce. And I'm guessing that that if the master isn't getting compensated, that is your issue here- but keep in mind that the actual latency in that scenario is 50ms for the plugin plus 2x your host buffer setting. The downside to doing it with an aux is then it will be compensated for.

Of course that is an issue across the board with DSP + native...anytime the native is after any DSP it's 2x the host buffer to go out and back in to the cards.