Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Re: John Lennon...Do You "Get It"?

DDP Ever listen to She's Leaving Home?

I think that whatever music we listen to as teenagers will always have special signifigance.
I was lucky enough to be listining to The Beatles. I get the special signifigance and the added bonus of truely great song writing.
Who's on your list?
Lets check back in 20 years and see if those on your list are still remembered.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:44 AM

john lennon was incredible. i recently read "the lives of john lennon" - very interesting and disturbing. there are many "classic rockers" who i do not "get" - i don't like hendrix, clapton, steve miller, skynyrd, zepplin etc, etc... but john lennon speaks to me.

to the guy that doesn't get lennon, the dead or nirvana... what do you get? funk?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundsurfr:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">to me, he is nothing but a stoned-out dude who had the attention of the media.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah. Now lecture us about closed-mindedness.

You don't have to like Lennon or the Beatles, but if you can't recognize what they had as talent, then all I can say is....clearly, you don't "get it".
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">soundsurfr- don't get me wrong, i'm not lecturing anyone. if people think john was visionary, that's great. i didn't and don't see what all the fuss is about. i was just stating how he comes across to me personelly. and it's not to say that i dislike the beatles or john lennons songs. and there's also nothing wrong with being a "stoned-out dude". but to me indiviually, he/they are not the "prophets" (for lack of a better word) that they are made out to be.

live and let live [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DDP:
not to be a jerk, but for the same reasons you think they "don't get it", they think you "don't get it"- a little closed minded on both sides but that is STRICTLY my opinion. it has nothing to do with how "far we've come", has to do with personel tastes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I understand that some people may not like a picture of John & Yoko in the nude. And I'm not saying that you have to like a picture of anyone doing anything. But when these people walk into a gallery with a huge sign out front advertising the works of John Lennon, just know ahead of time that you may be leaving your world. You are being invited into his world. Respect it. Respect the fact that it is different than your world. Isn't that the point of art anyway? Age has nothing to do with that kind of respect.

I've never hated art that I didn't understand. And I especially wouldn't be so upset about it that I would curse it. I think it is fine to like some art/artists more than others. But why hate any art? What's the point?

Teach yourself to listen/view art the way a child does. Leave your tastes, misconceptions, opinions at home. You may see something new.

There is a song lyric from Victoria Williams this makes me think of: "Once in a while you open-up just like a child, see things fresh and new, I wish this for you, I wish this for you."

Okay, I'm stepping down from the soapbox and getting back to trying to make some music.

Take care,

-Jay
Old 01-11-2003, 05:56 PM

Hey DDp I would be interested in knowing who you think is talented.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:55 PM

Sometimes you get shone the light,in the strangest of places if you look at it right. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Hi DDP,
First, as I've mentioned to you, I admire your own unique style and your stuff. And your opinion of Lennon is fine with me, too.
But man, his body of work alone is massive. If you aren't familiar with 'She's Leaving Home'(though written by McCartney), then odds are you have only heard the tip of the iceberg of what he did in his lifetime. Yes, he had the media's attention, because had he not gotten with one song, he would have with hundreds of others.
Believe me, I can see how it's possible, if you're 'introduced' through the media to an artist for the first time, or the first few times, simply by only one song, or by one seemingly negative film clip, to say, 'What the ****'s the big deal about him ? I don't get it at all' I've done the same thing myself with a few artists. But, John Lennon's contribution to great music was incredible... at least to me.
Now again, I say this with all due respect to your opinion, because this is a big-ass, diverse world, and we all see things differently. But you know, not many artists could ever actually say they changed how the world thinks. But, I swear to you, John Lennon did. He really did.

All my best, Roy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 07:39 PM

note to self: never discuss religion, politics or john lennons talent in public...... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

the last thing i will say here about john lennon is that his fans are still a loyal, passionate and vocal bunch. his legacy will live on forever.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:13 PM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I would like to personally thank Canteenboy for bringing up John. I just listened to a whole whack of Johns' songs and they really helped me get through a creative block. I now am ready to write again. Thank you very much.
[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Kris
May the music move you