Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2003, 11:21 PM

Default protools 6.1 frequent crashes

Hey there, will briefly outlay situation. Have just had a HD3 / 4 X 96 I/O system installed to upgrade our mix plus. New G4 single 1.24GKhz computer/1 Gig of Ram, ATTO SCSI card running 2 X 36 Gig H/Drives. OS 10.2.6 running PTools 6.1. Sync IO has replaced USD. Problem as follows: protools constently crashes without providing error message or prompt. Cant find a routine as to when the crash will happen for we can be mid record playback or editing while cursor is stationary? Anding every now and then a slight digital click comes thru...kinda like the 96K boxes aren't resolved to their superclock properly, yet their loop from the Sync box is all connected solid. The Sync IO Box is looking at it's Internal clock for a reference. Another ?.. my hardware setup in PTools is only seeing one core card and one farm(processor) card,,yet I have 1 core card and two farm cards. The second farm card isnt connected to any of the 96K boxes. just for DSP power...
Old 08-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Avid

Default Re: protools 6.1 frequent crashes

Hello,

What did you use to format the drives?

Make sure all drives (ATA, Firewire, and SCSI) are formatted Mac OS Extended (HFS+) with OS X’s Disk Utility. Pro Tools can not use UFS or HFS volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with any other application, backup the drive and reinitialize it with Disk Utility.

Since you are running a supported ATTO card make sure you install the ATTO Configuration Tool. It can be found on the Pro Tools 6.x CD installer. Aslo, make sure you update the firmware on the ATTO card. The two supported SCSI cards are the ATTO UL3D and the ATTO EPCI-DC.

Mike
Old 08-06-2003, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Make sure all drives (ATA, Firewire, and SCSI) are formatted Mac OS Extended (HFS+) with OS X’s Disk Utility. Pro Tools can not use UFS or HFS volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with any other application, backup the drive and reinitialize it with Disk Utility.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So you are saying that if a client brings a hotswap to your studio to do an editing session and it is HFS, you have to tell him that the drive must be backed up, reinitialized, and restored before you can work on it with Pro Tools 6 ? What if the client does not want to do this?

I have not had a problem with HFS drives from clients. Pro Tools 6.1 could read them just fine.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:02 PM

I just had a bloodbath because of this very issue. I worked on 8 songs without a problem (HD3 6.1), then backed up to a client FW drive (not HFS+ formatted). From that point on, none of the session files would work at all (DAE 9037 errors). I then transferred the files to another computer running 6.1 LE (002R) and had similar results.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:06 AM

Think I have sorted it, was recommended to remove the last of our 512 ram chips and the crashing has ceased, but has introduced a new problem. Suddenly the computer justs goes to sleep,, mid playback??, then comes awake for say half a minute then quits protools and crashes the whole computer with only a bright chequered yellow screen remaining....?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Avid

Tweakhead,

"So you are saying that if a client brings a hotswap to your studio to do an editing session and it is HFS, you have to tell him that the drive must be backed up, reinitialized, and restored before you can work on it with Pro Tools 6 ? What if the client does not want to do this?"

No, I would suggest you copy the session onto one of your HFS+ volumes that is formatted with Disk Utility. HFS volumes may work some of the time. However, to avoid problems I would use HFS+ volumes initialized with DIsk Utility.

Mike
Old 08-07-2003, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:

No, I would suggest you copy the session onto one of your HFS+ volumes that is formatted with Disk Utility. HFS volumes may work some of the time. However, to avoid problems I would use HFS+ volumes initialized with DIsk Utility.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But you said that Pro Tools can not use HFS volumes. This is patently not true.