Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 AM

Default Re: New PT Prefs helper

Pete - I just wanted to tell you that this app has saved my ass SO many times. I just can't thank you enough for creating it. Do you have any donation site set up? If not you should.

Thanks again!
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:58 AM

+1 Thanks!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM

Hi Pete
Firstly thanks so much, this has saved me numerous times. Just a question. I have 10/9/4 running on a new pac pro with PT 11.2. So when I delete prefs, and restore. it doesnt restore to the right I/O Settings. even if I select it, it just goes to default i/o settings, and I manually import them from the I/O settings option in protools. is this normal?
thanks
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Hi,
Can you describe in greater detail what's happening? I've just tried it here and it's performed as I'd expect. It copies the I/O settings files back to the correct location, you do have to Import I/O files and it gives you the list, that's how Pro Tools does it, I'm not aware of any other way. May be wrong though...

Pete
Old 08-04-2014, 03:22 AM

Thanks so much for the rply.
So I runs PT 11.2 only on 10.9.4.

I set up all the prefs plus the I/O settings as desired, I then backup all the settings via your app. Then when I delete prefs and restore it ( ticking all the boxes ) then when I open PT, all the prefs are right, but the I/O Settings are set to default. so I then have to go to I/O Settings and manually import the saved I/O settings.So the app doest restore the I/O settings
Makes sense?
Thanks
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisenslinproduce View Post
Thanks so much for the rply.
So I runs PT 11.2 only on 10.9.4.

I set up all the prefs plus the I/O settings as desired, I then backup all the settings via your app. Then when I delete prefs and restore it ( ticking all the boxes ) then when I open PT, all the prefs are right, but the I/O Settings are set to default. so I then have to go to I/O Settings and manually import the saved I/O settings.So the app doest restore the I/O settings
Makes sense?
Thanks
You could do what I do for the I/O settings - make a preset and save it. That way you can have your old setup whenever you want it. A lot of people don't realize you can make and save custom presets for this section.

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM

This isn't directly related to the PT Prefs app, but I will probably start making backups more often due to a thing that has happened a few times in the last year. Today I opened Pro Tools 11.2.0 and all my preferences were cleared for no apparent reason. I didn't reinstall anything, update anything, or do anything else I can think of to cause them to clear.

I tried using Time Machine to restore the folder user/documents/PT Prefs and the results were the same, everything was zeroed out like a fresh install. For me, the only major bummer is redoing all the favorite plugins I have saved shows in the attached screenshots.

I've been trying to get a clear answer as to where this info is stored because I really dislike having to redo it which has happened a few times. Can anybody tell me why my prefs may have been cleared and where to specifically archive the file that stores my favorite plugins as shown in these screen shots.

Also, if there is a way that the PT PREFS app can help me, that would also be good to know.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 9.18.42 AM.jpg (43.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 9.18.46 AM.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 AM

1.6.8 up.

Pete
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Pete, many many thanks for your great software. I will offer to pay for it again so please let me know if i can donate somewhere.

I have a feature request, which is to add a way to add custom backup folders. For example, I love that you've added the plugin setting folder, but not all plugins store their settings there. So it would be great to be able to add other folders to the backup/restore feature so i can backup my customized SoundToys presets. Or any other developer. Or my Audio/Midi Setup folder. Or any other for that matter. Another major one that comes to mind is my AAX plugins folder. I know that's a big one, but i'm considering using your software to help me keep two different rigs in sync. If i had a one-stop-shop to consolidate all the far-flung folders associated with my main rig, it would be so awesome. PT Prefs is already on its way.

Again, I am willing to pay you.

thanks much

cha

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Hmmm, it's not really set up at the moment as a 'robust' backup/restore system. It was written just as a way to get back to a usable 'square one'. I can see why you want to do what you're suggesting and I'll have a think about how best I could implement it. The way the folder structure is at the moment could get a bit messy, I need to investigate...

Pete