Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 with 2 audio interfaces connected

Hi there,

I'm using Pro Tools 8 M-powered with a M-audio FireWire Solo. I got here with me a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, and I'm was wondering if I can connect this interface to Pro Tools through the second Firewire Port in the M-Audio Firewire Solo, leaving the Solo unit the one that connects directly to the PC so Pro Tools would recognize it.

Do you think this is possible to work? Will Pro Tools recognize both interfaces?

Thanks for your time,

RodWall
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 with 2 audio interfaces connected

Pro Tools will not recognize the second interface. MP8 will only recognize M-Audio Interfaces - and only one of them.

Pro Tools 9 on the Mac will support something called Core Audio Aggregate Devices, but each interface would need it's own Firewire port. But PT9 on Windows (using ASIO) does not have a similar capability.

What you *can* do with your Focusrite Pro40 is the following:

a) Upgrade to Pro Tools 9:
http://imsproav.com/main/AVID99206500300.html

b) Sell the Firewire Solo and use the money towards a Focusrite OctoPre:
http://imsproav.com/main/FOCUSROCTOPREMKII.html

You can connect the ADAT output of the Octopre to the ADAT input of the Pro40. You'll then have 16 high-quality simultaneous inputs into Pro Tools with Focusrite mic pre's across the board.
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 with 2 audio interfaces connected

Thank you very much for your answer and advices!