Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-30-2002, 03:40 PM

Default RAT Pedals

Hey I'm looking at buying a RAT pedal, but I don't know whether to get the RAT 2, the TurboRAT etc, nor where to get one in Australia!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] the Pro Co doesn't ship o/seas! Maybe some aussies know? or maybe you guys know of elsewhere in the US that sells them and DOES export?
Thanks!

Ps. I want a tube sounding dist that i can change a bit depending on overdubs etc! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2002, 03:57 PM

Default Re: RAT Pedals

Check out www.ebay.com.au
Theres one on there now, located in sydney. It looks pretty new too! I am lucky enough to own an original, sounds awesome but looks like its seen one too many gigs!

Just remember, there are many different flavours, don't limit yourself to just one!!
Old 01-30-2002, 04:24 PM

thanks dude I'm checking it out.

What model do you have? I'm looking at trying to order a Rat 2?
Old 01-30-2002, 04:39 PM

Not sure of the Model... It was given to me by my father in law along with a Fender Concert amp and an old Boss Chorus/Ensemble. HELLO!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Am I lucky or what? It looks like it's at least 15 years old.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Emo King:
Hey I'm looking at buying a RAT pedal, but I don't know whether to get the RAT 2, the TurboRAT etc, nor where to get one in Australia!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] the Pro Co doesn't ship o/seas! Maybe some aussies know? or maybe you guys know of elsewhere in the US that sells them and DOES export?
Thanks!

Ps. I want a tube sounding dist that i can change a bit depending on overdubs etc! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rat is a fuzz box, i sure wouldn't suggest it if you are looking for a "tube" sound. its kinda like the old big muff distorion pedals. i know some folks here like them. i personally do not. unless, of course, you just want a big wall of fuzzzzzzzz.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:18 PM

ok thanks for that dude. I'm told a Big Muff is rad too. A whole bunch of ppl on my Guitar Distortions thread have raved bout the rat, think i'll give it a go... it's only 100 bucks.

thanks.
late.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:24 AM

I still have mine from 1985. Sounds great.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:32 AM

There are 2 versions of the Big Muff.
The Big Muff Pi is the more expensive model. It comes with an AC Adapter, where as the regular Muff takes a 9v battery.
They are both decent distortion/sustainers. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 02-01-2002, 12:59 AM

Emo- I got my big muff pedal in 1980- the original electro harmonix brand. i think they are made in russia now. it was great when i wanted to make a lot of noise. i was given a rat pedal about 10 years ago and its been sitting in a drawer since about a week after i got it. i just dont see the attraction- at least not for your "main" guitar tone. maybe occasionally for a background track or for some wierd "fuzzy violin" parts, but not as the main sound. It sounded to me like you were looking for a pedal for your main guitar tone, which is why i have been steering you away.

Actually it does depend on what style of music you want to play. maybe you do want a big fuzzy guitar sound on all your tracks. There is a band called "fluf" from san diego. "o" the guitarist uses a big muff and carvin amps for this big, mushy, guitar sound. it works for them, being a 3 piece. i always found that tone to get lost in a 2 or more guitar band. its not very present. i'd give you my rat pedal, except i know i can sell a "vintage rat pedal" a few years down the road on ebay for more than its worth!