Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 with Mac OS X 10.7 LION

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
There's a thread over on GS about this.. and one or two fellows that have PT9 working just fine on Lion... after a lot of folks said it wouldn't.
I found this thread on Gear Slutz: "Apple Lion 10.7 Will Not Run Pro Tools". Only one guy says it works with PT8 but everyone else says it doesn't work with PT9.

Dp you have another thread?

"Originally Posted by work2do
i'm no programmer but on the duc they say lion is dropping carbon support. pt is currently written in carbon."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
I found this thread on Gear Slutz: "Apple Lion 10.7 Will Not Run Pro Tools". Only one guy says it works with PT8 but everyone else says it doesn't work with PT9.

Dp you have another thread?

"Originally Posted by work2do
i'm no programmer but on the duc they say lion is dropping carbon support. pt is currently written in carbon."
I'll see if I can find it again... There were a few people saying that it wouldn't happen, and one or two guys chimed in saying that they had it going.. I thought it odd but passed on it as I have no plans to go to lion any time soon..

If I find it I'll post it here.. If I can't I'll be quiet and everyone can think I'm a pot-stirring knob...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM

<------ Pot-stirring knob.

Though I haven't really looked all that hard, I haven't come across them again either. Avid has just put a Tech Note up saying they were NOT compatible with Lion so I guess it really doesn't matter. They state that they are working with Apple to get PT9 working with it however.

It really would have been nice to see them say something along the lines of "Avid is working to ensure that PT users can use PT in the latest version of OSX due to be released soon.." Then we could all speculate on a new version of PT..

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Here is the quote from Avid, "As of this writing Pro Tools 9 and all earlier versions of Pro Tools software are not compatible with OS X Lion."
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Avid should really just stop selling Mboxes, Digi003s, and software aimed at consumers. People that casually record don't have a dedicated recording machine and can't wait 8 months to update their OS every time an update comes out. they shouldn't have to really. developers have access to updates and new versions of OSX months before they come out. there's really not a very good excuse for why pro tools is always months and months behind versions of OSX.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
Avid should really just stop selling Mboxes, Digi003s, and software aimed at consumers. People that casually record don't have a dedicated recording machine and can't wait 8 months to update their OS every time an update comes out. they shouldn't have to really. developers have access to updates and new versions of OSX months before they come out. there's really not a very good excuse for why pro tools is always months and months behind versions of OSX.
Months? That's not true. Until the Golden Master is released, you don't know what is in the Final Candidate. The GM was released just a couple of weeks ago on July 1.

Anyone can partition their disk to add the new version while still using the old OS with PT.

However, be warned that PPC apps will not run. Rosetta is not supported.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 PM

I didn't get a chance to read all the posts but a quick thanks to the few who weren't [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s and were capable of just simply answering a question. anyways, I was able to downgrade to Snow Leopard with NO PROBLEMS and it took less than an hour too. Pro tools 9 has no issues so far, at least with daily actions and I was able to re-install all of my Waves v8 plugins with no issues. If anyone else made the same mistake I did, you're not screwed.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmackensen View Post
I didn't get a chance to read all the posts but a quick thanks to the few who weren't [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s and were capable of just simply answering a question. anyways, I was able to downgrade to Snow Leopard with NO PROBLEMS and it took less than an hour too. Pro tools 9 has no issues so far, at least with daily actions and I was able to re-install all of my Waves v8 plugins with no issues. If anyone else made the same mistake I did, you're not screwed.
Steven,

Are you making clones or images of your drives? If not, you should. ALWAYS back up a fully working system before making any major changes. That way, if it tanks, it only takes about 20 minutes or so to get you back to your last known working configuration.

I use Super Duper! myself. Acronis for PC.

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Any particular reason to actually use it with Lion?

Just testing?

cheers,
rich
Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolmat View Post
Any particular reason to actually use it with Lion?
Pro Tools on Lion sounds 2000 times better than it does on Snow Leopard. Also, it guarantees you a record contract with one of the majors where you get to keep all your own publishing.