Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Default need help please - new Windows user from Mac

So now I'm running LE 7 on my new IBM Lenovo laptop. Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 1gig ram. Well it definitely starts faster than my old Mac Mini, BUT I never had problems with just general recording! here's a picture of the error.

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hwbuffsg3.jpg

i have tried changing the hw buffer size from 512 and up or less and still nothing. Maybe it's something within the windows world I'm not aware of? Please any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: need help please - new Windows user from Mac

Quote:
Intel Core Duo Processor Models

Please Note: Models that offer Intel Core 2 Duo laptop processors (codename Merom) are currently not officially supported or qualified with Digidesign products. Currently only the Intel Core 2 Duo desktop processors (codename Conroe) have been qualified.
There could be further compatibility problems depending on your chipset and whether you are using a qualified firewire secondary drive or not.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Intel Core Duo Processor Models

Please Note: Models that offer Intel Core 2 Duo laptop processors (codename Merom) are currently not officially supported or qualified with Digidesign products. Currently only the Intel Core 2 Duo desktop processors (codename Conroe) have been qualified.
And this should be their number one priority right now.

Get Core 2 Duo working.

IMDB Credits
Old 02-11-2007, 11:45 AM

thanks so much fellas. Well then I guess I'll have to wait. I had no idea that there'd be problems with mobile Intel Core 2 Duo chips. not to offend you guys, but from the picture I posted, does that refer to non-compatibility? Seems like it's just hw/buffer. Nevermind then, I'll take your word for it and just follow up on updates.

Second, how come my Sony Sound Forge 8 records with my M-Box 2? I thought digidesign hardware was exclusive to LE software. Hmm, well I guess this will do for now. I also have a MOTU ultralite. It just sucks because I want to upgrade to 7.3, and it was a good thing I ran into this. OR, does 7.3 support the Intel Core 2 Duo chips? thanks again
Old 02-11-2007, 12:21 PM

It's a hard call. You could have multiple issues working against you.

With a compatible computer, the error you posted could be drive related. Recording to the system drive, or anything but a qualified external firewire drive can cause this indication.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Second, how come my Sony Sound Forge 8 records with my M-Box 2? I thought digidesign hardware was exclusive to LE software. Hmm, well I guess this will do for now. I also have a MOTU ultralite. It just sucks because I want to upgrade to 7.3, and it was a good thing I ran into this. OR, does 7.3 support the Intel Core 2 Duo chips? thanks again
Digi hardware is not necessarily exclusive to PTLE, it is however required if you wish to run PTLE - the hardware acts as the dongle for the software. SF8 supports ASIO drivers. When you install PTLE you will notice that there is a digidesign ASIO driver that installs which allows you to use your harware with 3rd party software... even windows media player

Marv
Old 02-11-2007, 01:20 PM

.... and another thing... i just took a look at the picture you uploaded... according to your system tray you've got a bunch of stuff running at the same time as PTLE including blue tooth, wireless, an email notifier, and windows automatic updates + more. Digidesign recommends that all of this stuff is turned off when running PTLE.

This may well not be contributing to the problem but it might be a start.

Go through the troubleshooting guide - a post at the top of this forum, it tells you how to turn this stuff off... and see if you can find out which processor you are actually using (merom or conroe).

Also... you may be eligible for a free update to 7.1

cool

Marv
Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 PM

The Core 2 Duo incompatibility is specific to the interaction of Pro Tools LE and the Digi hardware.
That problem won't necessarily effect the interaction between the Digi hardware and 3rd party software.

Just to clarify Dr. Marv's information.
A Digi ASIO driver and a Digi Wave driver are installed along with Pro Tools installation.

The ASIO driver is a multi-track playback and record capable driver useable only with ASIO compatable software.
(Sonar, Cubase, etc..)

General Windows applications such as Windows Media Player and iTunes utilize the Wave driver which is a 2 track playback only driver.