Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-25-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Share your tricks on Comping

Everyone has their own way of doing things, and becomes fast and efficient in their own meathods, I'm wondering how others out there, would comp together multi passes of a lead vocal for example.

I've seen some engineers record several passes in several different tracks, and comp using the solo buttons, this seems bizarre to me, but the work was getting done... Others use the "Spot" feature to drag different performances into the same place to audition.....to each his own.

Updated Post - with NEW comp workflow for Both Platforms (HD AND LE)
I
Quote:
Here's the Workflow From the Original Post

In HD... I generally record each new pass on a new track, but all sharing the same voice. My comp track on top, I highlight the region area I don't like, and Cmd+E & Cmd+M - to mute it.

The top performance "Flips" to the next track over that muted region - I continue muting tracks, listening through the "Hole" in the Comp Track, and when I find what I like, I paste it in the comp, and move on.

Trying to bring as much work home with me from the studio, this doesn't work at all in LE, I'm guessing the best workflow, is really to just "Flip Playlists" and paste on a top, comp playlist? I'm still thinking it might be a better workflow to just keep all the vocal takes on separate tracks, turned down or channel muted, and just navigate up and down, copying lines, and pasting them on the "Top" un-muted comp track to "Hear it" in context.

What do you do in LE?

Pro-Tools LE 8 has come a LONG way - I came across this thread in some bookmarks, and considering I've completely evolved my Comping workflow, that now, does not differ from LE to HD - I thought I'd post a link here to the new workflow, NOT stating "This is better then ANY other Workflow" - just a very speedy, Viable option.

I have literally doubled speed and productivity time, comping vocals this way, maybe even cut it into 1/3rd of what it was from Voice Stealing - and unlike my original post, this workflow IS completely compatible with LE.

Here's The Blog Post That Started this Workflow for me - which since then, has become my main workflow.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 01-25-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Share your tricks on Comping

I like the method that you described with the solo buttons. Seems to work for me. I usually record to individual tracks...then I create a new track...call it "VOXCOMP" and drag the best takes, line by line, to the new track. I like to have a second set of ears in the room with me. I write up a chart with columns for each take and "grade" each take secretly, while my second set of ears does the same thing. After listening to all eight takes (or whatever) of a line, I'll reveal which ones I liked best..like takes 3,4 and 6 and my partner reveals which ones he/she liked best. If they say 4,5 and 6...we'll listen to 4 and 6 again and decide on a winner. We do this line by line and usually end up with pleasing results. It's time consuming, but well worth the effort. Crucial to have a second set of ears to avoid second guessing myself. I have been fortunate to work with some great singers and musicians with great ears and that makes it even easier. But for this process, it's helpful even if you have a non-pro or novice set of ears....still helps to eliminate the second guessing.

To each his own...I thought the solo button thing was a bit tedious at first, but I've gotten so used to it that the mouse just goes right to the spots almost automatically at this point!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:11 PM

David,

I used to do it the first way. Now it's always done via playlists. You don't tie up additional tracks that way. Also by highlighting and using "C" and "V" in key command mode you can move very quickly without concern about the sections lining up properly. I used to always consolidate tracks. Now I don't really worry about that too much. This seems to work best for me.
Matthew 11:15
Old 01-29-2004, 12:21 PM

what do you guys do to double the vocal after you comp one?
do you just wrtie the comped version to track and then shift it?
do you construct a new track (via comping the rest of what you have) as a double?
do you have the vocalist do six more takes and then comp those to make one?
or just work with the one final track and add chorus or delay if you want a doubled sound or leave it without if you dont?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:51 PM

I always find when i'm going for the "Doubbled vocal" Thang, I just use a pair of decent passes, you never really want to use the same performance shifted, you'll just get wierd phasing.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 02-01-2004, 01:44 PM

I've been meaning to try the multiple playlist method for a while, that seem like the way to go.