Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-26-2003, 08:30 AM

Default Greetings and a question from the "other" side

Hey guys, I'm a long time (3 and a half years) Mac 001 user, currently at PTLE 5.1.1. Don't get me wrong, I have no great love for the Mac. I don't think anyone should have an emotional attachment to their operating system. My Mac is aging, and I'm considering converting to the PC for my music, simply because I already have a pretty nice PC.

What I'd like to know is what problems I may face in this transition and how much truth their is to the rumors that PTLE is more problematic on the PC. Let me also say that as the CTO for a publishing company, I have extensive knowledge of PCs' software and hardware. I can pretty much install or fix anything PC or Mac related. Here is my current PC config:

-Asus P4B-533e mobo with RAID and Firewire built-in and 512MB DDR RAM
-Celeron 1.7Mhz (I know I have to upgrade to P4, no problem, but what speed should I get?)
-dual 80GB Western Digital SE HDs mirrored together via RAID 1 (mirroring) via onboard Promise RAID
-80GB Seagate barracuda system drive
-Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI card to run my DLT backup drive
-Matrox Millennium G550 AGP graphics card
-onboard sound option
-Internal IDE ZIP 100, CDRW and CD-ROM
-Antec TruePower 430w PS

1) Will such a system be problematic?
2) Will I be able to run a dual monitor setup (the G550 supports this)?
3) Do I need more RAM?
4) What processor should I buy?

What I want is a ROCK-SOLID solution, but I'd really rather not buy a whole new mobo. I must say that my old PowerMac G3 (blue and white) 350Mhz while no speed demon, NEVER crashes and has served me well. Can I get that kind of reliability with my PC? I'd like to continue using this PC as my email, internet, word processing computer as well (right now my Mac serves as a PTLE computer only--I do NOTHING else with it.)

Any help and advice is much appreciated! Thanks,
-DS

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 03-26-2003, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Greetings and a question from the "other" side

There are lots of answers to your questions in the VERY first topic of DUC for Windows click

and it was just updated!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 03-26-2003, 09:09 AM

Nukmusic, thanks for pointing that out. I had seen that topic in the past, but at 37 pages, there's an aweful lot of unrelated info to weed through. I wish I could easily print it out and read it on the subway. Additionally, I don't want to be turned off by reading 37 pages of nothing but problems. What I'm also interested in hearing is that there are lots of people using PTLE with their PC having no problems whatsoever. There are people like that, right?

Thanks again.

Old 03-26-2003, 09:25 AM

All you need to do is read this part of that thread listed above. These are the three best P4 systems posted so far for 001. YOu may even be able to get by with your current processor and the 002. As far as stability goes, I've worked on a G4 800Mhz this past year and the new WinXP with PTLE 5.3 is more stable and far faster. Some people ran into P4 problems with the Dverb bug. There are also some that have never gotten over certain errors. So they are not as consistent in performance as the AMD setups. As far as your motherboard goes, as long as it has the 845 or 850 chipset you should be fine with 001.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote:
The Quickdraw Pentium 4 System (Digi approved)
For those die hard Intel fans like our friend and P4 technician Mike (Quickdraw), here are the best performing systems for the P4s and yes they are some of our best performers now.

System 1: Scored 32+24 on PT Performance test
MSI 6580Gmax motherboard(845G chipset) 88.00
Intel P4 2.26Ghz 533Mhz Northwood Processor 166.00
PC2700 512MB DDR SDRAM 62.00

System 2: Scored 32+23 on PT Performance test
Intel D850EMVRL motherboard 90.00
Intel P4 2.8GHz 533Mhz processor 365.00
512 MB Samsung 850-40 Rambus memory 156.00

System 3: Scored 32+16 on PT Performance test
Intel D845PESV motherboard 100.00
P4 2.4Ghz Northwood 533Mhz CPU 365.00
Corsair PC2700 DDR SDRAM

Go with the fastest Northwood processor you can afford and get the retail version that comes with its own heatsink/fan. You will not use the Volcano 9 heatsink/fan above then. Everything else is the same including the DDR PC2700 ram unless you go with the Rambus memory as in system 1. For system running PC2700 DDR, set the FSB to 333MHz and be sure to turn off Hyperthreading in the bios for all P4 systems.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 09:27 AM

Check out the first page, first post. Allen updates that regularly.

The other option would be to search that thread for your components.

Good luck

Old 03-26-2003, 10:03 AM

Yikes, this Dverb bug sounds like a bad thing (I just read all the posts). The last thing I want to do is spend my time troubleshooting instead of making music. Are most people out there with P4 systems NOT seeing signs of the Dverb bug? If I have to switch mobos to get this working reliably, that removes any incentive for me to switch. I'd rather just buy another Mac at that point. Ideally, I'll switch my 001 to my PC without having to invest too much time in swapping out components.

I have an extra 001 system on a shelf not being used. I think I'll install it in my PC, setup a virgin WinXP partition, install PTLE 5.3.whatever-is-the-latest and then test it all out. What would be my best course of action to test this setup correctly for compatability and the Dverb bug? I'd like to try and make sure it's going to run reliably for me. Maybe the Dave C test? Is there a PC version of the demo session that installed on my Mac? That thing was pretty complex and might be a good indicator of things, right?

Thanks again,
-DS

Old 03-26-2003, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dans:
If I have to switch mobos to get this working reliably, that removes any incentive for me to switch. I'd rather just buy another Mac at that point.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow, I'd personally rather spend 140 bucks on a MOBO instead of over 2 grand on a Mac... but hey... depends on how much cash versus time you have I suppose. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 10:30 AM

Gary, I hear you, definietly. But swapping out MOBOs is such a pain in the butt. Sure, it usually is easy, but it always takes a while. And then if something goes wrong, it can be a nightmare. Every had a bad motheboard but not realize it until about 20 hours of tedious troubleshooting? No fun. And I would never buy a $2,000 mac. I'd get the low end for $1,500. The good thing with that is that you KNOW it will work and work well and be more compatible with what most of the "pros" use.

I'm not trying to start a debate here--not at all. Like I said, I really don't care what I use so long as it works. I just don't want to screw around with it forever. I was originally looking at a new Mac, but thought, "hey, I have the PC, it would be great if I could just use that." I'll wait and see what others think. Hopefully there are more happy P4 users out there, maybe ones with my MOBO.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:32 AM

I have to admit it I get a little frustrated when Mac users try to convert to PC with an unsupported PC only to be dissapointed and then go back flapping to the Mac crowd about what a piece of **** the PC is for PTLE.
This goes for anyone taking the plunge into PC land. Take a **** or get off the pot. I would hope that you wouldn't run your company the same way. In other words do it right or don't do it at all. My friends and I have spent a great deal of time testing and configuring the sytems on the "Best System for PTLE" thread. If you would rather spend $2,600.00 upgrading to a Mac G4 dual 1Ghz and get half the performance of upgrading to a supported P4 or AMD system for under $200.00 then go for it. If I were migrating to a Mac I wouldn't start with a Mac G3 Lamp Looking IMac and then figure out if it will work with PTLE.
If it were me I'd stick the 001 in your current system and if it didn't work I'd upgrade to a proven chipset and processor. If you want to avoid the Dverb bug then I'd use Waves Rverb or get the A7V333-X motherboard and XP2100+ processor or higher. If you already have DDR ram the upgrade will cost under 200.00 depending on the processor you buy.
Getting to your question: The Davec test doesn't use Dverb so it will not test this problem. I'd just play with Dverb plugs on various tracks and see if you can reproduce it. Yes the PC version of PTLE comes with a demo song. YOu can download it from the download site.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 10:33 AM

Gary, I hear you, definietly. But swapping out MOBOs is such a pain in the butt. Sure, it usually is easy, but it always takes a while. And then if something goes wrong, it can be a nightmare. Every had a bad motheboard but not realize it until about 20 hours of tedious troubleshooting? No fun. And I would never buy a $2,000 mac. I'd get the low end for $1,500. The good thing with that is that you KNOW it will work and work well and be more compatible with what most of the "pros" use.

I'm not trying to start a debate here--not at all. Like I said, I really don't care what I use so long as it works. I just don't want to screw around with it forever. I was originally looking at a new Mac, but thought, "hey, I have the PC, it would be great if I could just use that." I'll wait and see what others think. Hopefully there are more happy P4 users out there, maybe ones with my MOBO.