Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Default Re: What A Freaking Joke.. Come on AVID it's time you worked some of this junk out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Dan View Post
All the issues that people have reported with how terribly buggy Eucon has been with the Artist Series and the apparent total lack of interest and effort by Avid in making them work properly, is the ONLY reason I have never bought any Artist Series controller. And now that I've moved from Pro Tools to Cubase, I probably never will.
Avid is their own worst enemy. They could build bridges by taking Euphonix products and supporting the heck out of them - but instead they have turned the promise of the Artist series into (for some) wasted money that do nothing but reafirm the complete disdain they have for anyone outside of their ecosystem.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:55 AM

Default Re: What A Freaking Joke.. Come on AVID it's time you worked some of this junk out

Basically good people, Avid don't give a toss about anything customer related. I say this with no more bitterness, I am over that. They took my money for years and gave me very little for it. Certainly nothing that worked properly. They could not and would not support their product with anything other than impatient and dismissive messages that clearly showed that they did not KNOW how to support their own product. I never thought I would see myself in this particular place, but I have divested myself of most of my Avid gear and am now working with other solutions that are just as robust and productive, in fact more so given their artist stuff never works. The S3 is another borderline joke. I can now only wait for Avid to realize they bit off more than they could chew and divest themselves of these products so that this once untouchable range of products can be remade into something that is worth buying. Most trusted? Rubbish, provably incorrect and a borderline lie, but it's just marketing isn't it so you can cay anything and get away with it. Most reliable? Puhleeeeeease. Avid, just go bankrupt will you, so someone with a grain of a clue who knows how to do proper market research and get their faithful user base to stay faithful - meaning that we get a product we can actually use. The company wins, we win, music wins. Avid, for the loss. Anyone looking to purchase, look elsewhere, you are absolutely wasting your money. International education institutions, music schools and professionals alike are moving away from Avid - so can you.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:58 AM

I don't know how long you have used it, but S3 is great both live and at studio. My only gripe is that they put the meter leds to wrong side of the fader (IMO)
Old 04-04-2015, 10:50 AM

The new Artist software that has Yosemite compatibility is available now. Version 3.2.2.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=366479
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbieoz View Post
Basically good people, Avid don't give a toss about anything customer related. I say this with no more bitterness, I am over that. They took my money for years and gave me very little for it. Certainly nothing that worked properly. They could not and would not support their product with anything other than impatient and dismissive messages that clearly showed that they did not KNOW how to support their own product. I never thought I would see myself in this particular place, but I have divested myself of most of my Avid gear and am now working with other solutions that are just as robust and productive, in fact more so given their artist stuff never works. The S3 is another borderline joke. I can now only wait for Avid to realize they bit off more than they could chew and divest themselves of these products so that this once untouchable range of products can be remade into something that is worth buying. Most trusted? Rubbish, provably incorrect and a borderline lie, but it's just marketing isn't it so you can cay anything and get away with it. Most reliable? Puhleeeeeease. Avid, just go bankrupt will you, so someone with a grain of a clue who knows how to do proper market research and get their faithful user base to stay faithful - meaning that we get a product we can actually use. The company wins, we win, music wins. Avid, for the loss. Anyone looking to purchase, look elsewhere, you are absolutely wasting your money. International education institutions, music schools and professionals alike are moving away from Avid - so can you.
Well said! And, as for v3.2.2, it offers way too little, way too late. And, thus, it's time to bail out of Avid, altogether.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 AM

My personal opinion on the artist series controllers is this:
For the money they are a great controller and have featnures you can only get in large format controllers like Icons/D Commands and even S6.
There are definitely flaws . One of which is the surround panner not fully functioning. Then there's the Eucon Software that talks to these puppies which has some serious issues....
Personally I think Avid are concentrating all their resources and marketing into the S6 and S3 and treat all other products as lower priority. Let's face it, an artist Mc Control with the Mixers is a pretty powerful solution...I've worked on quite a few avid controllers and to be honest the Artist series pretty much does what the bigger boards do and more in some cases. From a business/economic point of view it's not viable for AVID to sink tons of resources into this product. They'll do what they can but it's not priority.
Case in point; I was pissed off that the surround panner feature on the MC Control was not fully functional and sent in a tech support ticket asking what the heck was up with that...the response was very clear....they will not be addressing the issue claiming that the panner in protools is Square while the Panner on the Mc control is a circle and could not be made to fully work properly.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Avid

Hi Guys,

We know there are frustrations around the Artist product line. Bugs that interrupt your workflow and drive you crazy that we have yet to resolve. It’s not what we want and we’ve been working hard to fix that. In the last 6 months, we’ve had 3 EuControl releases: 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2. We’ve improved overall connectivity and reliability with each release, which was the #1 user complaint about the product line. We also fixed a bunch of bugs:

3.2 (9/29/14)
  • Improved Connectivity by Requiring Network Interface Selection (EUCON-3119). A dialog in EuControl providing a pop-up menu allowing you to choose a network interface is now provided.
  • Improved Connection Reliability by Detecting When Selected Network Interface is Not Available (EUCON-3086)
  • Location of LPF and HPF EQ Controls Now Appear in the Proper Order (EUCON-3083, EUCON 2892). High-pass filter (HPF) controls now appear to the left of the low-pass filter (LPF) controls when an EQ knob set is spilled to the encoders.
  • EuControl Settings Menu Now Provides “Restart EUCON Applications” Option (EUCON-3056)
  • You can now restart all EUCON applications, including EuControl software, by clicking the EuControl (E) icon in the Task Bar (Mac) or System Tray (Windows) and selecting “Restart EUCON Applications.” Use this to troubleshoot any connectivity issues you may be experiencing between your surface and your workstation computer.
  • EuControl No Longer Crashes on Quit (Mac) or Exit (Windows) After Reassigning a Surface (EUCON-3042) Previously, moving a surface from My Surfaces to All Surfaces then quitting EuControl could cause EuControl to crash.
  • If your surface is not connected or powered-on when EuControl launches, it may take up to a minute to be notified by EuControl that there is no network connection found.
  • EuControl No Longer Crashes on Exit While Connected to Pro Tools on Windows (EUCON-3040)
  • EuControl No Longer Crashes After Restoring Default Soft Key Assignments (EUCON-3027). Previously, restoring a surface to its default Soft Key assignments (EuControl Settings > Soft Keys), then accessing a Soft Key on the surface caused EuControl to crash.
  • “App Nap” in Mac OS X 10.9.x and Higher No Longer Causes Sluggish Surface Behavior (EUCON-2978). Previously, the “App Nap” feature in Mac OS X 10.9.x and higher caused connected surfaces to exhibit sluggish response after a certain amount of time.
  • On Artist Control, Keyboard “Shift” Modifier No Longer Interferes with Pressing Knob Display Area on the Sides of the Touchscreen (EUCON-2893)
  • Attentioned Track No Longer Cycles Through All Selected Pro Tools Tracks When Selecting Multiple Tracks (EUCON-2870)
  • VCA Name as Assigned in Pro Tools Now Appears in EuControl Settings > Layout Page (EUCON-2857)
  • DAW No Longer Fails to Populate Surfaces on Power On of Workstation Computer (EUCON-2744)
  • Pressing SHIFT + Rec (A) on a Surface Now Properly Cycles Through Automation Modes (EUCON-2676)
  • Previously, pressing SHIFT + Rec (A) to cycle through automation modes stopped at Write and would not cycle back through the available modes.
  • EuControl No Longer Prevents a Mac from Shutting Down (EUCON-2645)
  • Attentioned Fader No Longer Becomes Blank If the Selected Track is Hidden (EUCON-2588)

3.2.1 (11/14/14)
  • EuControl 3.2.1 supports co-installation with Pro Tools® | S6 WSControl version 1.3 on the same workstation computer.
  • (Mac Only) Network Connection Not Found dialog now shown if no connection to an Artist Series or S3 control surface exists
  • (EUCON-3205)
  • In certain circumstances when launching EuControl without a surface connected to the workstation computer (such as after updating to
  • EuControl 3.2 from an earlier version or after disconnecting a surface and relaunching EuControl), the Select Network Interface dialog
  • pop-up appeared blank.
  • (S3 Only) Pressing Surface SHIFT + Top/Back now correctly returns Channel Control to the top-level Knob Set (EUCON-2969)
  • (S3 Only) When using Logic, channel strip meter levels now match meter levels on-screen and in the corresponding S3 channel
  • displays (EUCON-3265)
  • (Mac Only) Restart EUCON Applications dialogue box now comes to the foreground when another application is focused (3249)

3.2.2 (3/31/15)
  • Yosemite support
  • S3 Soft Key Editor
  • For Pro Tools 12 and higher, preference for Mix and/or Edit windows to follow surface bank selection is now working
  • (S3 Only) Random faders no longer become unresponsive (EUCON-3522)
  • Option to auto-launch Studio Monitor Express is now removed from Mac System Preferences panel as Studio Monitor Express is no longer supported on Mac (EUCON-3518).
  • S3 Channel Control EQ parameters now refresh correctly after auto-inserting a default EQ from the surface (EUCON-3505)
  • S3 Channel Control EQ parameters now display correctly after hiding/showing certain tracks on the surface (EUCON-3305)
  • S3 Channel Control Input parameters are now assigned to the proper encoders (EUCON-3461)
  • S3 Channel Strip LEDs now light correctly when the Channel Encoders are in Channel mode (EUCON-3024)
  • Improved EuControl icon in the Menu bar on Macs with Retina displays (EUCON-3381)
  • When editing a plug-in from the surface, the corresponding plug-in window in Pro Tools is now shown (EUCON-3263)
  • When quitting EuControl, you are no longer asked to save soft key assignments if no changes were made to the soft key assignments (EUCON-2830)
We are committed to the product line and I hope the above shows that. Is it perfect? No. We still have more bugs to fix. But, we really do strive to make your experience better with each release.

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyssl View Post
I finally upgraded my rig to PT 11.3.1 (from 10.2) and now I'm lucky if I can get the Arti$t Mix to stay connected for 20 minutes... Keeps going offline and I have to reboot my whole system and the Artist Mix before it will come back online. Never had this problem with PT10 / Eucontrol 2.

No to mention the fact that I'm on my 3rd Artist mix in barely 2 years because they are so poorly made the internal power supplies keep burning out..

AV!D It's time you worked this crap out.... but instead you expect us all to go on PAID $UPPORT PLAN$ and upgrade to NEW HARDWARE instead of fixing the issues. I don't think so.

Artist Mix / latest firmware
EuControl 3.2.1
Mac OS 10.9.5
Pro Tools HD 11.3.1 / HDX
Sorry to hear about this experience. How are you connecting the Artist Mix to your Mac? Switch or Router? Static IP or DHCP?

Will you install 3.2.2 and upgrade your firmware to see if that improves reliability?

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 04-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
3.2 (9/29/14)
  • Improved Connectivity by Requiring Network Interface Selection (EUCON-3119). A dialog in EuControl providing a pop-up menu allowing you to choose a network interface is now provided.
3.2.2 (3/31/15)
  • Yosemite support
  • S3 Soft Key Editor
  • For Pro Tools 12 and higher, preference for Mix and/or Edit windows to follow surface bank selection is now working
  • (S3 Only) Random faders no longer become unresponsive (EUCON-3522)
  • Option to auto-launch Studio Monitor Express is now removed from Mac System Preferences panel as Studio Monitor Express is no longer supported on Mac (EUCON-3518).
  • S3 Channel Control EQ parameters now refresh correctly after auto-inserting a default EQ from the surface (EUCON-3505)
  • S3 Channel Control EQ parameters now display correctly after hiding/showing certain tracks on the surface (EUCON-3305)
  • S3 Channel Control Input parameters are now assigned to the proper encoders (EUCON-3461)
  • S3 Channel Strip LEDs now light correctly when the Channel Encoders are in Channel mode (EUCON-3024)
  • Improved EuControl icon in the Menu bar on Macs with Retina displays (EUCON-3381)
  • When editing a plug-in from the surface, the corresponding plug-in window in Pro Tools is now shown (EUCON-3263)
  • When quitting EuControl, you are no longer asked to save soft key assignments if no changes were made to the soft key assignments (EUCON-2830)
We are committed to the product line and I hope the above shows that. Is it perfect? No. We still have more bugs to fix. But, we really do strive to make your experience better with each release.

Thanks,
Kyle, the above does not show that Avid is committed to the Artist Series. Quite the contrary. In fact, it's almost insulting.

Removing the S3-specific improvements in v3.2.2, we're left with:
  • Yosemite support
For those of us not on ProTools and who have no use for Studio Monitor Express, we're left with:
  • Yosemite support
Yosemite was released to developers, back in June 2014. Yosemite was released to the public in October 2014. If Avid is so committed to EUCON, why did it take 5 months after the public release to finally support it?

Those of us without retina displays are thrilled for those who have them. I'm sure the nicer EuControl icon was worth the wait.

Last, but not least, we no longer have to lay awake at night, worrying about being asked to to save soft key assignments if no changes were made.

Meanwhile, back in v3.2, quoted above, you guys "improved" connectivity by specifically preventing EUCON from connecting to anything but the most basic, dedicated, hardwired, network. Claiming that's an improvement is like GM claiming they've improved auto safety by limiting transmissions to 1st gear and reverse!

There are a lot of us, out here, that have been holding our breath for the next release of EUCON/EuControl. We sincerely hoped Avid would hit the ball out of the park. Instead, you guys didn't even make it out of the dugout.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-WYO View Post
Kyle, the above does not show that Avid is committed to the Artist Series. Quite the contrary. In fact, it's almost insulting.

Removing the S3-specific improvements in v3.2.2, we're left with:
  • Yosemite support
For those of us not on ProTools and who have no use for Studio Monitor Express, we're left with:
  • Yosemite support
Yosemite was released to developers, back in June 2014. Yosemite was released to the public in October 2014. If Avid is so committed to EUCON, why did it take 5 months after the public release to finally support it?

Those of us without retina displays are thrilled for those who have them. I'm sure the nicer EuControl icon was worth the wait.

Last, but not least, we no longer have to lay awake at night, worrying about being asked to to save soft key assignments if no changes were made.

Meanwhile, back in v3.2, quoted above, you guys "improved" connectivity by specifically preventing EUCON from connecting to anything but the most basic, dedicated, hardwired, network. Claiming that's an improvement is like GM claiming they've improved auto safety by limiting transmissions to 1st gear and reverse!

There are a lot of us, out here, that have been holding our breath for the next release of EUCON/EuControl. We sincerely hoped Avid would hit the ball out of the park. Instead, you guys didn't even make it out of the dugout.
Ok, obviously we disagree here. I think delivering 40 bug fixes/enhancements and new OS qual in 6 months shows a commitment to the product. Yosemite support was later than we expected and I do apologize for the extra time it took to get that release out.

Also, I know that you are unhappy we are not supporting LAGG. If you'd like to create an Ideascale Suggestion to be voted on, please do so. If its something that a lot users want, it would be great to know. However, I have only counted 3 users that have had an issue with LAGG and 3.2+. And, as I have mentioned before in other thread, a USB or Thunderbolt Ethernet adapters provide a supported solution.
Berkeley, CA