Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Tell us What you Don't Like About the Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
That would be Awesome as Using Neyrinck Pro V Control at the same time as the Artist series makes V control metering stop working

Not a great thing there but if you made a docking station for ipad .. Now that i would buy in a heartbeat
A universal docking station. Not every one uses Ipad :P

Wave-T.com
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Avid

I can't talk about what we are or are not going to do in the future but I'm definitely encouraged by your input and excited to share when I can.

Here is what I'm really looking for right now:

1. Any input specifically comparing C|24 and Pro Control workflows vs Artist.

2. Any input on improving current Artist

3. What you like/don't like about current tablet applications - either DAW specific or DAW agnostic.

If you have really lengthy or in depth ideas, email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
JC
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Well let me see (takes a look at his mix)

Specifically on the artist mix at least, I would love to see:

the automation write to start, write to end set to the fader strip 1 shift+solo and shift+on (the big one) buttons.
Fader strip 2 shift+solo to create groups from selected tracks.
Fader strip 3 shift+solo activate/deactivate Pre roll, shift+on (the big one) activate/deactivate post roll
Fader strip 1 trough 5 shift+SEL (not SEL y) to toggle between zoom presets
Fader stip 1 through 4 shift+on (the small on button not the mute) for the following commands: Save, save as, Undo, Redo.
Fader strip 5 shift+on (the small one) to display hide the transport window.
Fader strip 6 shift+on (the small one) to create a marker, when the marker creation window is open the solo and on (the big one) button from fader strip 1 to 5 becomes numbers from 0 to 9
Fader strip 7 shift+on (the small one) for clear peak indicator
Fader strip 8 shift+on (the small one) for clear all solo

Oh yeah.. and please.. create new soft button to replace the big ON button for Mute.. much easier in a conversation since there's two on buttons...

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I'm starting to run out of buttons

Also if you decoupled the lower right button from being shift, you could double the amount of functions of the board.
Cool ideas for using gestural modality to access multiple functions.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Programming macros with more than just one eucon command would be nice.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Tell us What you Don't Like About the Artist

1. Any input specifically comparing C|24 and Pro Control workflows vs Artist. - PASS (not qualified!)

2. Any input on improving current Artist - PRICE ... reflect better value in light of new competition/alternatives ... maybe bundles?

3. What you like/don't like about current tablet applications - either DAW specific or DAW agnostic. - SEE BELOW

Don't like -

(i) Installing proprietary networking protocols on my Mac. I use DAW Remote HD and AC7 Core - although V-Control has greater functionality (in particular the plugin window), Neyrinck's Ney-fi (apparently related to bandwidth/performance - not an issue with the others) puts me off.

(ii) Having to reconnect iPad to Mac/Pro Tools each session

(iii) Dependence on battery life - docked tablet should charge

Like -

(i) Not used it myself but V-Control's attempt at a plugin window (not perfect but seems a good attempt) ... but an 'extension' to the AAX specification to allow plugin developers to add an iPad-specific GUI (I specify iPad due to its prevalence in music/audio world), using the full screen and designed to scale to different current/future screen resolutions ... now that would be awesome! Imagine guitarist with iPad control of e.g. Amplitube or Eleven at arms length ... which reminds me - standalone Eleven Rack iPad app :)

(ii) Ability to arm tracks, start/stop, view counters, etc, remotely, possibly laid out to mirror layout of associated Artist hardware ... needs to work wirelessly/undocked too

(iii) Anything done best with a touch interface e.g. edit MIDI, draw automation, cut/paste clips, etc. (like Auria) ... as bigger touchscreens become the norm and possibly start to displace laptops, this could become the main interface (not a supplementary one like we are discussing initially for iPad ... bit like what Slate is doing) ... although at some point, these devices will inevitably be the DAW (like Auria), not just a controller

Hope my imagination isn't running wild?! :)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post
I can't talk about what we are or are not going to do in the future but I'm definitely encouraged by your input and excited to share when I can.

Here is what I'm really looking for right now:
1. Any input specifically comparing C|24 and Pro Control workflows vs Artist.
2. Any input on improving current Artist
3. What you like/don't like about current tablet applications - either DAW specific or DAW agnostic.

Thanks,
JC
Missing from eucon vs digi ethernet surfaces=
- Vca masters/spill (known)
- Plugin mapping is a huge one. I want my parameters from all my goto plugins laid out consistently. Every manufacturer has their own ideas, the only way to make your rig fast like an icon is for plugin mapping like on digi ethernet surfaces.

In eucon but not PC or C24
- snapshots, previously icon only
- newer automation controls on control
- layouts, but they cant be imported and exported in session data
- open targeted plugin follows track selection, VERY handy in small rigs

- eq mode filters werent swapped in 3.1 and should have been, same as main page eq mode
- dyn mode needs output level on front page
- both eq and dyn mode need a menu layer on entering to select which eq or dyn plugin you want on the surface, same as plugin mode. Mentioned in the manual, still not implemented.

Neyrincks app positives = Reliability, stability, os and version compato, regularity of updates all somewhat better than eucon has been to date.
Cant stand lack of faders, I need to watch my screen while I mix, relying on touch and tactile feedback which is missing from touchscreen based solutions.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioartist View Post
Programming macros with more than just one eucon command would be nice.
+1

like -punch automation preview- followed by -write automation to selection- in a single command

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 AM

- Improve custom soft key editor: clunky process - like if you enter the button name first, set the key commands, close the key command window - name for button is now gone.

- Copy and paste of individual soft keys and of pages of soft keys.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Avid

Thanks for all of this great input guys.

Keep it comin

JC
Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 PM

The biggest area of improvement the Artist series needs is their surround pan modes. They are totally useless with Pro Tools at the moment.

As far as accompanying tablet software goes, I use both Neyrinck's V-Control as well as Maggot's Spanner and they both have good useful functionality. But what I would REALLY want is the S6 touch-matrix screen ported to an iPad. That would be the ultimate tablet solution. At a bare minimum I'd love something like Spanner that works with the default Pro Tools surround panners (which wouldn't have to go through an external plugin).

Surround panning is my biggest focus right now, as the Artist series are currently useless for surround panning, V-Control is a little crippled in terms of smoothly interfacing with the Pro Tools built-in panners and windows (can't see the dots, can't easily control both sides of a stereo pan in a surround space), and Spanner is a WONDERFUL app with kick-ass functionality but I hate having to insert and route it through a separate plugin when I want it on literally every single track in my feature film sessions. I truly wish Avid had something that worked like Spanner for their built-in surround pan windows.

So that would be my minimum wish, my pie-in-sky wish is the tablet S6 touch-matrix. The power it would give to be able to pop that off the S6 and carry it from session to session or facility to facility would be tremendous.

Otherwise I'm loving my artist series. Between the programable soft-keys and the custom fader/track selections I can fly on them for post work.