Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 vs. Mbox 3 Pro Preamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Yup, the premium mod, along with their Micro Clock. Good stuff!!
I might BE FORCED to go with this BLA mod for my Mbox 3 Pro even though Eric is the only person I have found who has actually done it (doesn't make me super confident). Why?

Well, BE WARNED MBOX 3 PRO USERS, apparently the Mbox 3 Pro's line inputs are WAY too hot when using an external preamp (which I had planned on using when I bought the interface).

I have to say, this makes me extremely disappointed in Avid's design specs and I feel like I have been fleeced. This will limit my creativity very much as I like to implement different preamp flavors on my recordings.

Has anyone heard if Avid is offering to attenuate the line input gains INSIDE the unit (as they rightly should)?

I do not want to get into using SPIDF or gerry-rigged resistor pads or Shure's separate pad. All are just a half-way patch job compared to what I want to do and what the Mbox 3 Pro PROMISED to do.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 AM

Mbox3 came out in 2013 didn't it? If not 2012. I would assume Apogee's conversion is top notch nowadays (inside avid's corporate box obviously)

And that ought to say something that they are not developing a further hardware line for the mbox crowd. They sourced Apogee to do that
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 AM

I bought Pro when it came out in 2012, yes. Intention was to use stock preamps until I saved for a good external pre. Conversion by Pro is good. Was hoping to use it for an interface for years to come.

It's strange to me that the mic inputs are too LOW and that the line inputs are too HOT. It makes one wonder if during manufacturing Avid switched/botched the specs. It would have made more sense to set gain other way around, no? That's my guess anyway.

They should offer in-house adjustments in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Turkey View Post
I bought Pro when it came out in 2012, yes. Intention was to use stock preamps until I saved for a good external pre. Conversion by Pro is good. Was hoping to use it for an interface for years to come.

It's strange to me that the mic inputs are too LOW and that the line inputs are too HOT. It makes one wonder if during manufacturing Avid switched/botched the specs. It would have made more sense to set gain other way around, no? That's my guess anyway.

They should offer in-house adjustments in my opinion.

Do you know that pulling the gain knob out engages a pad?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Mbox3 came out in 2013 didn't it? If not 2012.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM

2010 further proves the point that the jive bird was not fleeced.

Most interfaces that you purchased 5 years ago would not be suitable for your use today as you grow and change and add hardware
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 PM

Top Jimmy: I am referring to LINE not mic inputs. Avid claims line bypasses preamps, but my signal is too hot. Is there anything I can do in CP I don't know about?

YYR123: You might want to take a course in logic. My not remembering the exact year the interface came out has nothing to do with the FACT that Avid has a hot line input. I am not the only one with this issue:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ine+inputs+hot

By the way, if you have something CONSTRUCTIVE and PROFESSIONAL to say which will help me, I would appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Turkey View Post
I might BE FORCED to go with this BLA mod for my Mbox 3 Pro even though Eric is the only person I have found who has actually done it (doesn't make me super confident). Why?
BLA still offers it, so someone other than me MUST be doing the mod. It made sense for me because I picked up the Pro3 on eBay from some kid who never opened it, but wanted to keep the software. No problem for me as I already had PT9 or 10. I paid $500 for the Pro3 and $890 for the full mod and MicroClock. The mod alone is $550. For me it was a no-brainer since I didn't pay full pop for the device.

You can certainly ask BLA how many of those mods they've done, if you're worried about it, but they do stand TOTALLY behind all of their work, so it shouldn't be an issue, in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
2010 further proves the point that the jive bird was not fleeced.

Most interfaces that you purchased 5 years ago would not be suitable for your use today as you grow and change and add hardware
Another reason to have BLA do the mod. Chances are, they've made substantial improvements on THEIR upgrades over when I did it in 2013. They can bring your old Pro3 'closer' to current technology, IMHO.

As far as using external pres... my thought, especially after doing the BLA mods, was to get a pre that had SPDIF out for two more good sounding channels, giving me a total of 6 with the Pro3. What I have externally is the Audient Mico http://audient.com/products/mico-dua...e-preamplifier which is a great addition, especiailly when using the Mico with a single-point stereo mic.

Good luck with your shopping...
Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 PM

Thanks for advice Eric. I briefly considered the BLA mod, but I really want to use my Neve 1073 LB.

I'm no pro engineer, so explain to me why Avid would put four line inputs in the Mbox 3 Pro without bypassing the preamps.

Also, I replied to a guy on GS who apparently records analog to channels 5 and 6. Do they not have preamps? Would that be a viable way to connect an external pre?

Appreciate your help.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM

Absolutely! My option gives me 4 improved internal pres on the Pro3 and an external with great AD conversion, and send wordclock from the Pro3 to the Audient to sync it all. For me, this is a great option. You do what you need to do.... it's all good.