Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default Is there a way to have "AUTO TALKBACK" engaged WITHOUT "Dim" happening?

I love the Auto Talkback Feature on the C/24 but I would prefer that the "dim switch" not be applied so I don't have to struggle to hear, for example, a vocalist talking to me while we're working on things.

I am wondering if the only way to "get around" this issue is to have a "listen-back" mic in the other room so that I'm not dependant on my recording mic in order to communicate with my artist . . . . ?

Any ideas?? Thanks!
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to have "AUTO TALKBACK" engaged WITHOUT "Dim" happening?

hi jhon, i have a pro control not a c24 so i hope my reply can still help.
actually i've used this same workaround going back to my toft and neotek consoles as well.
i just leave my dim button on all the time and set my monitor volume to work with that setting.
that way you don't get the annoying volume drop every time you want to communicate back and forth.
also, a tweak would tell you you're more likely to be in the pot's sweet spot anyway which is better for your monitoring
hth,
e
Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Avid

Default Re: Is there a way to have "AUTO TALKBACK" engaged WITHOUT "Dim" happening?

You could set the dim amount to be less - on the C|24 it goes to as little as -6db...

To set the amount of Dim gain reduction:

1 Hold the Dim switch until the switch flashes.
The Dim amount appears in the right side of the
LCD displays.
2 Turn the Control Room encoder to adjust the
Dim amount.
3 Press the flashing Dim switch to confirm the
change, or press any other switch in the Moni-
tor section to cancel the change.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

I will try both suggestions and see what works best . . . I think the latter one would worry me less, I always worry that some massive BOOOM!! is gonna come through when I'm not paying attention and blow out my monitors . . .

For example, if you have my beloved BFD2 on "bypass" while you're doing something (for example, letting somebody jam on V Drums in the studio room and you don't wanna hear BFD2's rendition of what he's playing) and then you FORGET to mute the track before you "un-bypass" it . . . ALL the drums make this really loud BOOM and it seem very possible that it could destroy your monitor system . . .

Love the BFD2 though, it's almost my favorite thing I've ever had!!
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Allright, I tried BOTH and neither one really is that thrilling . . . here's why.

1. The "dim" value oughta be able to be diminished completely to NOTHING AT ALL instead of "just to -6db" Why in the world wouldn't Digi provide you with the opportunity to go "all the way down" or "all the way up"? It's like the job is half finished.

2. Keeping the "dim" selected seems to steal some of my volume . . . as in, my headroom is diminished, so that I can't get it as loud as I'd like, even though I spend most of my tracking time with the volume fairly quiet, so I don't tire out my ears too early (in the session, or in LIFE in general) . . .

So I do appreciate your ideas but I'm currently just doing it like I was before . . . I'm gonna just keep "dim" as loud as it will go, so when I do press talkback, it's as loud as it will allow. I wish I had better a better option . . . I feel like it would have been NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER, since they'd already put energy and effort into the whole "dim button" idea in the first place. Ah, I do like the board though, so it is what it is.