Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Default DIGI-002R S/PDIF not working

I used my Roland MMP-2 mic modeler with my DIGI-002R via S/PDIF for several years with no problems. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and Pro Tools LE 8.0.3, and my S/PDIF connection no longer works. I've searched the forums and have tried some of the things suggested for other S/PDIF devices, to no avail. I'm only sending data, not receiving, so I only have one digital RCA cable in play. The bit rates on both devices match. I'm using the default I/O settings in PT. I've looked at the hardware options, but no change seems apparent to make. I've also searched the manuals for both the Roland and PT for anything S/PDIF related, but haven't found a solution.

The Roland is my only S/PDIF capable device. Is there any way to check the connection to see if the RCA jack is functioning properly (an LED somewhere or something)? I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting this problem.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Avid

Default Re: DIGI-002R S/PDIF not working

First, you may want to update to 8.0.4.

Next - try a loopback test. Connect the SPDIF out of the 002R directly back to the SPDIF input, then create 2 new tracks - one with the output set to SPDIF, the other with it's input set to SPDIF. Mute the 2nd track so you don't get a feedback loop, then put a signal generator on the first track (or use AudioSuite to print SigGen to the track...or use and audio file) and record enable the 2nd track.

Do you see input on the 2nd track? If so, the SPDIF output is working and the fault would lie with the Roland.

If you don't see input, try repacing the SPDIF cable, trashing prefs and restarting, then test again.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I just discovered 8.0.4 when I was searching for solutions, and am downloading it now.

Quote:
Next - try a loopback test. Connect the SPDIF out of the 002R directly back to the SPDIF input, then create 2 new tracks - one with the output set to SPDIF, the other with it's input set to SPDIF. Mute the 2nd track so you don't get a feedback loop, then put a signal generator on the first track (or use AudioSuite to print SigGen to the track...or use and audio file) and record enable the 2nd track.

Do you see input on the 2nd track? If so, the SPDIF output is working and the fault would lie with the Roland.
Wow, I never would have thought of this, and didn't even know the Signal Generator existed! Here's what I've done:

- Plug the digital RCA cable into both S/PDIF input and output on the 002R
- Create a new blank session
- Create two audio tracks
- Set input of track 1 to Mic/Line 1
- Set output of track 1 to S/PDIF Left
- Insert the Signal Generator plugin on track 1
- Set input of track 2 to S/PDIF Left
- Mute track 2
- record enable track 2

With these settings, the S/PDIF choices are gold in the I/O dropdown, which tells me they're viable and active. However, though I can see a signal on track 1's meter, it's not reaching track 2.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
...However, though I can see a signal on track 1's meter, it's not reaching track 2.
Same here

Pro Tools 8.0.4 / mac os 10.5.8
Old 07-23-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
...trashing prefs and restarting, then test again.
sorry to ask, but... what prefs should I trash?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 AM

General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE and HD on Mac OS X
Help us help you - READ THIS before posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Is it a post, a bug, a spam??... ah!!! a joke! LOL
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM

Delete Pro Tools preferences.
-Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences
-Delete 'com.digidesign.protoolsLE.plist', 'DAE Prefs' (folder), 'DigiSetup.OSX' and 'Pro Tools preferences'.
-Empty trash, then restart the computer.

You can also use the Pro Tools Preference and Database Helper to trash preferences and databases automatically, as well as providing a few other useful tools. (This application is provided by a 3rd party and is not tested or supported by Digidesign)

ok ok :)
but hey!we have a big problem here, can anybody running 10.5.8 with protools le 8.0.4 tell if the s/pdif input works on their digi 002r.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:

If you don't see input, try repacing the SPDIF cable, trashing prefs and restarting, then test again.
I did those two tests, but still it is not working. S/PDIF OUTPUT=OK. S/PDIF INPUT=NO SOUND.

Thanks

Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D / 3 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM / Mac OS X 10.5.8 / Digi 002Rack Rev A / Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 / FW400 / Tc Electronics M300 S/PDIF @ 48 Hz
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM

...no response....

So I must assume nobody use the S/PDIF input of the DIGI 002R with pro tools 8.0.4...