Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM

Default Need recommendations - setup control room width or length wise

Hi All...

I have a small room 6ft X 9ft. I am trying to decide the best way to setup my monitoring position.

I can setup so that I am facing the short wall (6 feet) this will leave the exit door on my right along the longer 9 foot wall. It's approximately in the center of the wall. Or I could setup my desk in the wider position giving me a wider work area but less room to move about in my chair.

Either way the walls are concrete on two sides and the opposite two sides are drywall. I will need to buy some owens corning to place in strategic positions, such as my right side/left side and possibly above my head angled slightly downward as it gets closer to the speakers/control surface.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't know much about room design but would love to learn more.

Thanks!
java
Old 08-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Need recommendations - setup control room width or length wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Hi All...

I have a small room 6ft X 9ft. I am trying to decide the best way to setup my monitoring position.

I can setup so that I am facing the short wall (6 feet) this will leave the exit door on my right along the longer 9 foot wall. It's approximately in the center of the wall. Or I could setup my desk in the wider position giving me a wider work area but less room to move about in my chair.

Either way the walls are concrete on two sides and the opposite two sides are drywall. I will need to buy some owens corning to place in strategic positions, such as my right side/left side and possibly above my head angled slightly downward as it gets closer to the speakers/control surface.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't know much about room design but would love to learn more.

Thanks!
java
Quick guess would be face the long wall. Lots of absorption on the wall behind and the 2 side walls.

That is so small that the fundamentals are going to be quite high in freq. You're not gonna wanna monitor very loud in that space.

Do some web searching.. there is a good bit of info out there.

Here's a forum you could browse:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...ion-acoustics/
Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Need recommendations - setup control room width or length wise

everything you will ever need is on this guys site:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/

and if you cant find it in the threads, start your own and someone will help you.

cheers
Digi 003 Rack
Music Production Tool Kit