Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 11-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Default PC tower + HFS+ firewire drive + 003 = errors

So I've got a PC with only 1 firewire port. I daisy chained a mac HFS+ Avastore HDX firewire drive and 003 factory in the following configuration: tower-drive-003 and am having all kinds of issues. (Mac drive support is on there). Basically when I tried to start a new session on the drive pro-tools wouldn't load and froze so I had to restart the computer. Now I'm getting dialogues that say the mac volume "may be damaged" followed by "the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable". So I was wondering:

a) whats the best way to repair the drive? (it's new and I don't have to worry about losing the few files on there).
b) which startup items/services need to be running for mac drive support?
c) what can I do to make this work...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
RAM: 4 gigs kingston DDRII
drives: 2 dedicated 500GB Seagate SATAII (7200RPM) and 160GB seagate SATAII (system)
Windows XP professional
Pro-Tools 7.4cs5
003 Factory
Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Re: PC tower + HFS+ firewire drive + 003 = errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibault View Post
a) whats the best way to repair the drive? (it's new and I don't have to worry about losing the few files on there).
When this happens you're supposed to plug the drive into a mac and run the disk utility.

Quote:
c) what can I do to make this work...?
Don't use Macdrive for running the PT session on a pc. You're not the first person to have this problem. There is no known solution. The work-around is to drag the sessions off the HFS+ drive onto an NTFS drive while working on a pc and drag it back to the HFS+ drive when you want to transfer back to the mac.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Default Re: PC tower + HFS+ firewire drive + 003 = errors

Here is the solution I am using.
You connect the hard drive to a mac use tech tool pro to fix the hard drive and than reconnect it back to your PC. You are golden.