Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

M-Audio = keep. Digidesign = drop.

SAYS IT ALL. AAAHAHAHA! NO SOUP FOR YOU, YOU COME BACK, ONE YEAR (when you finally release paid upgrades for your terminally incompatible software).
Old 04-04-2010, 01:25 PM

I am bumping this thread to show that once again Avid has created another Tony Karate. They invite us here to ask questions And Then Never Answer.

And of course they are keeping the DUC. It is their only customer support and they don't have to pay the staff!

Antelope Zen
Creation Station
Old 04-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
ProTools is Reaper. :P
HAHAHAHA LOL! Touché

This is my favorite statement so far.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Makes perfect business sense I can see how integrating all the brands into a centralized model will streamline administration for the company and free up capitol. Hopefully, that money will earmarked for innovative people & R&D.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Seems like a lot of unnecessary changes really. Companies like Nike are taking the opposite approach. Nike's current belief is that the swoosh is overexposed and losing it's "cool" factor. As a result they are buying smaller companies like Calloway and Converse and expanding under different company names while most people don't have any idea that it's all Nike.

I don't have any problems or complaints with the current website at all in fact I think it's quite user friendly and I like a lot of the video demos introducing new products.

In my opinion this appears to be a method to market the AVID name which is probably struggling against Final Cut Pro. Had Avid somehow merged with Apple before they bought logic and ramped FCP then this conglomerate would have been a total monopoly. Now there is an interesting dynamic between the 2 companies that are competitors and dependent on each other at the same time. The imbalance is that Apple is the less dependent of the two.

If Avid Pro Tools were someday to become Windows only as a result of this competition, then for sure without a doubt that would force me to have to switch to Logic as I would never do Audio or Video on a Windows box (yuck). Sorry no offense, but I can barely tolerate Windows for 15 minutes which is odd being that they are both essentially the same thing on the inside.

Ultimately I don't think the company name really makes any difference, people buy one product at a time. As long as they come out with great products at great prices, I don't see what difference the logo on the outside of the box makes. If Avid is losing too much ground to FCPro then I don't see how sticking the Avid name in Audio peoples faces is going to improve sales of Avid video products. I do agree with some of the other posters that Avid should merge and simplify the LE and M-Powered stuff. Also the LE Toolkits and upgrading them is also a bit messy and should be simpler.

I believe there is too much whining about 64bit and other features Pro Tools doesn't have. Ultimately it's still all about the music. Do you really think Prince, Miles Davis, and Jimi Hendrix would be unable to create music in Pro Tools unless it was 64bit? All the whiners should post links to their music online, I would guess that the bit rate is the least of their problems.

Last edited by HipHopWong; 04-04-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparks100 View Post
The proof is in the product. You have 15 minutes between crashes..... most songs are about 3 minutes long, your right you can record about 5 takes before something goes wrong. If you bounce your VI's and turn off all your effects while you record it works great.

I have tested two other DAWs and they have yet to crash using the exact same plug-ins (Reaper for $60 and Nuendo for $1,700) without have to bounce anything. Get real... I know at least 20 other home studios running LE having the same issues and are looking at moving to Reaper. Pro Tools LE is a mess. I've only invested about $10,000 in hardware and software. Pro Tools LE is the weakest link in the studio and takes up most of that budget.

Good luck with Avid you will need it.
I really don't think this is what everybody deals with. I can't say PT is crash free or with out so many bugs, but I spent all week recording a new song on my own. I did 45 takes on 3 different bass parts (I play guitar and am not a true bass player) and have not had one crash all week. I will use PT to practice new improv lead lines and will record 60 or 70 takes in a row without a problem. I do have my problems but that's not one problem I have had really at all. I'm sure there are others using PTMP or LE that have good stability in their systems.
I'm just stating a fact, not that it's a blanket statement, but I think I'm entitled to stand up for the software I love to use, as well as your opinions are equally entitled.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 PM

the best time to change your name would have been about a year or so after buying digidesign or after buying m-audio. waiting this long to do so raises some questions over the stability of your product lines over a long period of time. it seems that you're changing the company names from a position of weakness, not from a position of strength.

i just replaced my g5 with a new mac mini and for some dang reason my ilok has disappeared. i have no idea where it is. replacing it and the thousands of dollars of plugins i owned is going to be extremely costly and painful, so i'm not exactly working from a position of strength either.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Well, it is really sad that you have so many negative things about the support and the product, but I beg to differ in many ways.
Pro tools le is quite a well working thing, actually besides hd, multiple le systems working here 24/7, almost flawless.
I changed from other daw many-many years ago, and I really feel that digi/avid is the only company who gave me real support.
This.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Question Re: Digidesign Transformation

Interesting times.

So I guess all the people who spent big money obtaining Digi training certificates now need Avid ones instead to still be "industry standard".....

To be honest,IMO the next few years will be extremely challenging for "high end" Digi/Avid products.The market for the $10k "starter rig" is getting smaller and smaller.
Native computer hardware is now finally delivering on its attempts at making HD look like an antique.
The days of having to spend a small fortune to assure yourself of getting 48 tracks are over.
Native plugs are catching up in quality.....

In terms of LE/M-powered,I keep it up to date for compatability sakes.
In comparison to Cubase/Reaper/Logic,it's miles behind as a writing tool.
The fact that you have to calculate plug in delays and keep your eye on track counts and spend extra money to de-cripple it in 2010 is simply ridiculous.

I also wonder how wise this "re branding" exercise is.
Pro-Tools has kept it's place due to it being the first system to reliably deliver as tape started to look "old hat."
It's still seen as the "only choice" by a lot of people in the industry-they just don't always know any reasons why other than "everyone uses it...."

Surely you don't confuse the very people that put you where you are in the first place....??
Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmonsta View Post
Interesting times.

So I guess all the people who spent big money obtaining Digi training certificates now need Avid ones instead to still be "industry standard".....

To be honest,IMO the next few years will be extremely challenging for "high end" Digi/Avid products.The market for the $10k "starter rig" is getting smaller and smaller.
Native computer hardware is now finally delivering on its attempts at making HD look like an antique.
The days of having to spend a small fortune to assure yourself of getting 48 tracks are over.
Native plugs are catching up in quality.....

In terms of LE/M-powered,I keep it up to date for compatability sakes.
In comparison to Cubase/Reaper/Logic,it's miles behind as a writing tool.
The fact that you have to calculate plug in delays and keep your eye on track counts and spend extra money to de-cripple it in 2010 is simply ridiculous.

I also wonder how wise this "re branding" exercise is.
Pro-Tools has kept it's place due to it being the first system to reliably deliver as tape started to look "old hat."
It's still seen as the "only choice" by a lot of people in the industry-they just don't always know any reasons why other than "everyone uses it...."

Surely you don't confuse the very people that put you where you are in the first place....??
It is an interesting parallel that Pro Tools killed tape, using a computer as it's vehicle and now Pro Tools is being killed by the computer itself. It's really a very normal thing in this industry though, survival of the fittest. I remember a salesman defending ADAT's a few years ago, saying that there were over 100,000 of them in studios. The key word is "were." Nothing lasts forever.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?