Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-04-2021, 02:40 PM

Default Major Delay Compensation issues with Dolby Atmos Production Suite

Working mostly in Music world...

I'm not really a candidate for using the "Dolby Bridge" playback engine because I sometimes have hardware inserts, and the workflow buzzkill of constantly changing playback engines when flipping between sessions of various sample rates and IO needs is arduous.

I'm all set up using the Send/Receive Plugin method, all of my Bed and Object routing is working as expected, and return paths to monitoring system and other paths (headphone/binaural, etc.) all working.

Using mono Master Faders with "Send" plugins to get to the renderer, and mono Aux returns to come back. All working and passing signal as expected.

Problem is: I'm getting massive, and noticeable errors in the Delay Compensation on tracks.

If I monitor all of my outgoing audio locally from auxes with Downmixer and deactivate the Sends to the renderer, everything is fine.

My working theory is that the only way this will work properly is if I put the Dolby Atmos Renderer on a separate computer and route everything via Dante (so that the audio has a clearly defined 'exit point'), that it's the only way I'll be able to be confident that ProTools won't do this.

Anybody have any suggestions here?
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Major Delay Compensation issues with Dolby Atmos Production Suite

Master fader tracks aren’t delay compensated, but aux tracks are. What happens if you bypass the delay compensation on all of the return aux tracks?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-05-2021, 02:34 AM

The delay compensation is calculated for the physical output. The old Dolby send/return plugin works with plugin inserts that are not physical outputs, but only acts like it. This is the reason delay compensation does not work. This is also the reason the Dolby Bridge playback engine came into life. You are correct, using the RMU on a separate computer will solve this, but you will need a few HDX cards and interfaces to be able to transfer 128 channel to that RMU (32 channels per digiport).
Old 03-05-2021, 02:44 AM

YeH, I definitely think this is the reason the Dolby audio bridge exists. I routinely use HDX and route 64 channels out via Dante, through Atmos mastering suite running on a separate computer with DVS. Works great, and not a lick of latency as far as I can tell.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
YeH, I definitely think this is the reason the Dolby audio bridge exists. I routinely use HDX and route 64 channels out via Dante, through Atmos mastering suite running on a separate computer with DVS. Works great, and not a lick of latency as far as I can tell.

Hi LDS,

I'm trying to setup the same Atmos HE Suite as yours. Could you care to explain (or point your source of info) on how all is connected and configured. Are you using DAMS? Can you get it without all the hardware RMU system? Where you get it?

Really appreciate for all your help.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokir View Post
Hi LDS,

I'm trying to setup the same Atmos HE Suite as yours. Could you care to explain (or point your source of info) on how all is connected and configured. Are you using DAMS? Can you get it without all the hardware RMU system? Where you get it?

Really appreciate for all your help.
I just sent you a PM.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.