Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Profire 2626 and M-Powered 8

I just got the profire 2626. I hooked everything up and installed the most current drivers last night. I have my MPC2000 going into inputs 1and2, my Motix XS6 going into 3and4, and a mic going into 5.

The problem is when I press record on a track in protools it is picking up a signal in the meter, but I can;t adjust the input levels with the profire 2626. The master volume knob adjust the overall volume coming out of the speakers, but does not effect the input levels.

In other words when I turn down the volume knobs for inputs 1 and 2 it would not effect the input signal. Why would this be. Is there something to adjust in the M-Audio control panel? I messed around yesterday for a while and could not figure it out.

I am running a Macbook White 2.0 4GB. OSX 10.5.6

Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Profire 2626 and M-Powered 8

I have that identical setup. If you're using XLR conection on the combo jacks then the gain switch is active, if you're going in with TRS or TS through the combo jacks you bypass the gain knob and gain is controlled from whatever is plugged in since it's a line level signal.

Hope that helps
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM

With line level, you control volume from the source (MPC/Motif)
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=audiogeekzine;1363261]With line level, you control volume from the source (MPC/Motif)[/QUOTE

thanks! I appreciate the help. I have everything hooked up with trs so that explains it. I'm going to switch to XLR. i prefer using the interface for input levels. Thanks again!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo.posthumus View Post
I have that identical setup. If you're using XLR conection on the combo jacks then the gain switch is active, if you're going in with TRS or TS through the combo jacks you bypass the gain knob and gain is controlled from whatever is plugged in since it's a line level signal.

Hope that helps

What can I do in the case that I can barely hear the Motif. I have the volume cranked all the way up, and I can barely hear it, and there is a weak sifnal going into Pro Tools. It peak at around -20 depending on the sound. How can I bring this up? I have everything line level. if I get XLR's would this help in this case? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 PM

to be honest, you might find simply normalizing the printed tracks to give you better sound than running through the 2626 preamps via XLR jacks.

Most likely the keyboard makes more noise than the converters do at line level, so you won't be sacrificing dynamic range while recording at 24 bit.

But if you want to monitor louder etc. then yes XLR cables is the way to do it. To save money, they did the XLR vs. TRS way of switching preamp bypass rather than a separate switch with combo jacks (better) or using a DSub connector for the line ins (the professional approach).
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Avid

You shouldn't go direct from the Motif into the XLR inputs on the 2626 unless the motif has low impedance XLR outputs.

What you should use are direct boxes between the Motif and the 2626 - 1/4" out of the Motif to the 1/4" inputs on the direct box, then XLR out of the box to the XLR inputs on the 2626. This will give you the proper impedance at all inputs/outputs.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
You shouldn't go direct from the Motif into the XLR inputs on the 2626 unless the motif has low impedance XLR outputs.

What you should use are direct boxes between the Motif and the 2626 - 1/4" out of the Motif to the 1/4" inputs on the direct box, then XLR out of the box to the XLR inputs on the 2626. This will give you the proper impedance at all inputs/outputs.
If you want to use DI inputs, use the ones on the front of the 2626.

Probably the impedances are AOK going ts to XLR as well...you can see for yourself what works best.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
I just got the profire 2626. I hooked everything up and installed the most current drivers last night. I have my MPC2000 going into inputs 1and2, my Motix XS6 going into 3and4, and a mic going into 5.

The problem is when I press record on a track in protools it is picking up a signal in the meter, but I can;t adjust the input levels with the profire 2626. The master volume knob adjust the overall volume coming out of the speakers, but does not effect the input levels.

In other words when I turn down the volume knobs for inputs 1 and 2 it would not effect the input signal. Why would this be. Is there something to adjust in the M-Audio control panel? I messed around yesterday for a while and could not figure it out.

I am running a Macbook White 2.0 4GB. OSX 10.5.6

Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!
the PF2626 disables the gain knob on the individual channels when
using the LINE input. This is why your only option for gain is the Motif
on-board volume. I had the same issue with a drum pad set i was recording. maxxed out volume only gave me -20db to -15db signal input.

I used the fader on those channels in PT to increase the volume
there are other methods as described above... alternatively use another
gain stage.. i was thinking of inputting into a mixer, add some gain and
then input into the PF2626, but i have not tried this yet.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarbc1 View Post
the PF2626 disables the gain knob on the individual channels when
using the LINE input. This is why your only option for gain is the Motif
on-board volume. I had the same issue with a drum pad set i was recording. maxxed out volume only gave me -20db to -15db signal input.

I used the fader on those channels in PT to increase the volume
there are other methods as described above... alternatively use another
gain stage.. i was thinking of inputting into a mixer, add some gain and
then input into the PF2626, but i have not tried this yet.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
or just buy a d/i. The profire bypass the pre's and gain knob (which has its flaw) but it lets you hit the converters directly. If you have all 8 out on your mpc then run those to the 2626 and for $150 you can get the ada8000 wordclock it the profire and hook up the rest of your units to that which also has gain knobs which I utterly will say its a good sounding piece regarding what you hear.