Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Default iLok.com isn't smart enough to verify account existence?

One of my engineers was registering some AVID software. We had been looking up accounts across a number of vendors (had to re-register with AVID because some Digi account stuff wasn't linked --I SWEAR I'D GONE THROUGH SOME SORT OF "LINKING" EXERCISE SOME TIME AGO. Lots of account names, usernames & passwords floating around.

Anyway, cutting to the chase....

The engineer entered a password instead of a user name into the field that asks for the iLok account name to which a license is to be deposited.

That whooshing sound is an iLok license flying off into the ether..... into a virtual limbo......

Turns out that a license can be sent to a NON-EXISTENT iLok account name and THERE IS NO POINT IN THE PROCESS BETWEEN THE VENDOR AND ILOK AT WHICH THERE'S A CHECK TO SEE IF THE ILOK ACCOUNT EXISTS.

REALLY ? ? ?

I haven't had to call tech support at AVID nee Digi for years. Of course it cost me $79.95 to get the license dropped into the proper iLok account.

I'm not as angry about the $80 as I am about a system that doesn't make a basic verification of an account's existence and kick back an error (email or otherwise) about the mis-match.

REALLY ? ? ?

AVID tech support said typos and entering the serial number of the iLok instead of the iLok account name are common mistakes.

Computers are only as smart as we program to be. Come on iLok, how about some basic error checking?

j mcd
Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM

Default Re: iLok.com isn't smart enough to verify account existence?

They charged you $80 for this?
A typo in an account field and YOU have to pay them to fix their programming error?

Imagine if a bank or paypal had this "feature" -- I want to send money or pay a bill to someone -- and I type in their name. But I type a name that doesn't exist.

Hello, paypal, I typed in a nonexistent name in the pay-to field, can you fix this please?
Uh, sorry, your money has vaporized. Pay us $80 and we'll see if we can fix this.

Stinky....
Old 12-15-2010, 04:26 PM

There is nothing even remotely acceptable about this. You shouldn't ever be able to send a license to a non-existent account. At the very least iLok ought to pay the 80 bucks it cost you.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDaniel View Post
One of my engineers was registering some AVID software. We had been looking up accounts across a number of vendors (had to re-register with AVID because some Digi account stuff wasn't linked --I SWEAR I'D GONE THROUGH SOME SORT OF "LINKING" EXERCISE SOME TIME AGO. Lots of account names, usernames & passwords floating around.

Anyway, cutting to the chase....

The engineer entered a password instead of a user name into the field that asks for the iLok account name to which a license is to be deposited.

That whooshing sound is an iLok license flying off into the ether..... into a virtual limbo......

Turns out that a license can be sent to a NON-EXISTENT iLok account name and THERE IS NO POINT IN THE PROCESS BETWEEN THE VENDOR AND ILOK AT WHICH THERE'S A CHECK TO SEE IF THE ILOK ACCOUNT EXISTS.

REALLY ? ? ?

I haven't had to call tech support at AVID nee Digi for years. Of course it cost me $79.95 to get the license dropped into the proper iLok account.

I'm not as angry about the $80 as I am about a system that doesn't make a basic verification of an account's existence and kick back an error (email or otherwise) about the mis-match.

REALLY ? ? ?

AVID tech support said typos and entering the serial number of the iLok instead of the iLok account name are common mistakes.

Computers are only as smart as we program to be. Come on iLok, how about some basic error checking?

j mcd
Ridiculous, but not surprising. Add it to the long list of ethically dubious policies and actions of ilok. I recently paid them, what, $40-50 b/c their software crashed in the midst of a license exchange and the process couldn't be resumed. Their claim: there is a problem with my ilok and it would need to be replaced. Hmmm. My ilok has worked fine for the last 6 years, then while their software was syncing, the ilok mysteriously "breaks" and it's my problem and my dime. Uh-huh. . . .
So long as the software vendors are willing to put their customers at the mercy of ilok, I think we're screwed.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 AM

And to top it off, you can't call them, even though they pretty much have a MONOPOLY on licenses and we don't have much of a choice. Reminds me of the DMV.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:02 AM

I like the idea of copy protection.

But if a company opts to use a certain kind of 3rd pty copy protection they should be VERY sure that it works - flawlessly.

iLok - does NOT work flawlessly. AT ALL. It sucks

I could name a million BUGS with iLok

1) Would be - Protools Freezing without the ability of saving your session, if you sync your ilok while a session is open

I find it highly frustrating that I as a paying customer have more trouble running the software I pay for than people who use the cracks.

here's a thought...

1) Purchase the protected software.
2) Download the crack in order for it work smoothly !!!

What IS this world coming to.....
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

1) Would be - Protools Freezing without the ability of saving your session, if you sync your ilok while a session is open
You ever tried to check a fanbelt on your car while it is running?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I could name a million BUGS with iLok

Wow... that is certainly quite a list approaching the 1 million mark.

Plus... why would you try to sync an iLok while Pro Tools is running? That's just asking for trouble... and it's probably written down somewhere that you shouldn't do that.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
You ever tried to check a fanbelt on your car while it is running?
http://www.carpeperdiem.us/duc/bloody-hand.JPG
Old 12-16-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Plus... why would you try to sync an iLok while Pro Tools is running?
It is called multi-tasking, I believe. And I heard chicks are better at it than dudes. Perhaps I'm a fruitcake....

I like saving time. And downloading to the iLok takes AGES !!!