Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-09-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Re: New Mac Pro (7.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
SIP can protect you from lots of hidden things...

remember a while back that a (bad) background web browser (Chrome?) update disabled tons of AVID editing products and Hollywood froze up for a day or two?
because a lot were on 2012 Cheese Graters, but they had fancy video cards, that needed SIP to be off..... if i recall correctly.....

IIRC it was SIP being OFF on those rigs that enabled the web browser update to screw things up.

I would always keep SIP ON for day to day use.... disable only temporarily if you need it....

Thanks fo the reminder. I'll turn it back on. That said, myself and my engineer are the only users and this computer is dedicated to PT. No email, no iffy websites, etc. So, probably not an issue to leave it off.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Forgive me gentlemen if this has been posted already but is there a little 1 x usb x 3 breakout adapter avail in the states for my ilok3's that fits happily on the 7.1 internal usb jack?
Thanks in advance and thank you for this helpful thread.
[my 7.1 16 core,192gb ram comes next week..going to use my pt hdx]
Old 06-09-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbadge View Post
Forgive me gentlemen if this has been posted already but is there a little 1 x usb x 3 breakout adapter avail in the states for my ilok3's that fits happily on the 7.1 internal usb jack?
Thanks in advance and thank you for this helpful thread.
[my 7.1 16 core,192gb ram comes next week..going to use my pt hdx]
Yes there is!

I’ve been using one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it would be a bit in the way if you have the Promise Pegasus J2i storage expansion but if not it works great.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Yes there is!

I’ve been using one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it would be a bit in the way if you have the Promise Pegasus J2i storage expansion but if not it works great.
Nice!
thanks.
will that fit with a pegasus J2i sata drive bay installed in there as well?
Old 06-10-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbadge View Post
Nice!
thanks.
will that fit with a pegasus J2i sata drive bay installed in there as well?
Pretty sure it wouldn’t work with the Pegasus. The Sabrent hub can be rotated but it’s blocked by either the the CPU or the the Apple I/O PCIe card in two directions. The other ways round either the Pegasus would be in the way or it would block the SATA connectors the Pegasus needs.

Last edited by Marsdy; 06-10-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:51 PM

Ok, I have a couple Q's and forgive me, I'm trying to catch up in this thread...

I might be able to swing a new Mac Pro and I'm wondering is anyone able to just migrate their current system over to the new computer? Or are you needing to do a fresh install?

Regarding the stock 580X video card - I am currently using two DVI outputs to my computer monitors. (I have a separate computer for my main video.) I think the 580X only has 1 DVI output? I'm not finding clear pics on that yet. If so, would it be ok to run an HDMI to DVI adapter to my 2nd computer monitor?

I'm thinking of the 2TB OWC 4M2 and a couple of 1TB Samsung 850/860 Pro for my sessions. Maybe moving my External FX library to an internal drive as well. That sound good?
Old 06-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
Ok, I have a couple Q's and forgive me, I'm trying to catch up in this thread...

I might be able to swing a new Mac Pro and I'm wondering is anyone able to just migrate their current system over to the new computer? Or are you needing to do a fresh install?

Regarding the stock 580X video card - I am currently using two DVI outputs to my computer monitors. (I have a separate computer for my main video.) I think the 580X only has 1 DVI output? I'm not finding clear pics on that yet. If so, would it be ok to run an HDMI to DVI adapter to my 2nd computer monitor?

I'm thinking of the 2TB OWC 4M2 and a couple of 1TB Samsung 850/860 Pro for my sessions. Maybe moving my External FX library to an internal drive as well. That sound good?
Sure you can probably migrate your current system over... if it's running on Catalina.

But even if you did not have to, getting a new computer is a great time to do nice careful full clean installs, backups and get everyting set up perfect... while you keep running on your current system.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post

The 580X has two HDMI ports, but since its an MPX module, it also lets you use thunderbolt ports for connecting monitors. You can get thunderbolt to DVI adapters for relatively cheap. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210319

If you can afford an extra $600, the W5700X is a huge boost in performance. But be aware that it takes up 2 PCI slots instead of one. It has a single HDMI port, but adds 4 more Thunderbolt 3 ports.

You likely won't need a separate computer to run your video anymore.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 06-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
The 580X has two HDMI ports, but since its an MPX module, it also lets you use thunderbolt ports for connecting monitors. You can get thunderbolt to DVI adapters for relatively cheap. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210319

If you can afford an extra $600, the W5700X is a huge boost in performance. But be aware that it takes up 2 PCI slots instead of one. It has a single HDMI port, but adds 4 more Thunderbolt 3 ports.

You likely won't need a separate computer to run your video anymore.
Interesting. I hadn't considered that on the video. I'm running an AJA Kona 3G card on my old Mac 4,1 running Video Slave. I was planning on making my suped up 2012 Mac which currently runs my PT rig my new video slave computer. Hmm. Food for thought...
Old 06-10-2020, 02:45 PM

I’m running the Kona LHi inside the 2019 MP. I always convert video to DNxHD. Video is running great. Super fast scrubbing.

Everything is fast. I can zoom in and out of the edit window without screen stuttering. I’ve never seen PT zoom a waveform this smooth.

Unless you need the PCI slot for something else, I don’t see a good reason not to put your Kona card inside your main system.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment