Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 04:39 AM

Default Real-Time Analyzer

How would I use one of these to check my room. I need to know where and is the "true" sweet spot. To get my room as flat as possible.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Real-Time Analyzer

Using one of the RTA units like the Raine or the new dbx Driverack Studio this process is easy. You should put the RTA in the audio chain as the last thing before the power amplifiers. Most of these units are 1/3 octave eq's with a pink noise generator. Hook the RTA pink noise output to a system input before the unit. You want to make the first measurement 3 to 4 feet from the monitors and on axis. Use the EQ on the RTA to get a flat response i.e, if one of the LED's is peaking reduce that frequency band so it lines up with the others.

Now take a second measurement from your standard listening distance or your "sweet spot." Usually 6 to 10 feet. You will notice a Hi-freq rolloff and some peaks or dips will show up in the low end. Don't just boost the Highs to compensate because it will sound very shrill. It's a natural phenomenon for Hi's to roll off with increased distance. You should adjust the hi end while playing material you are familliar with (as always it helps to close your eyes when you adjust EQ, listen don't look, your ears can't see those hash marks.)

While playing the pink noise you should now move around the room and compare the dips/peaks in the low end from different positions and roll them out the best you can. Now listen to some more recordings and make small adjustments to suit your ear.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Real-Time Analyzer

I found a really cool plugin that is free. It is a spectrum analyzer that could help you do this in a flash. And it's free!! Check it out here: http://www.elementalaudio.com/produc...tor/index.html