Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2023, 11:30 PM

Default Roland Cloud Instruments CPU Spikes Mac Studio M1

HI,
Mac Studio M1 Max 32G/Ventura 13.6.1/ Pro Tools 2023.9
There are an number of Roland Instruments that are not usable because of CPU spikes.
In the Video example link below. When I open the SRX Dance Module the CPU is quite high and continues even though Im not playing any notes, When I play a SINGLE note ,You can see level meters on SRX Dance Gui.
PT CPU goes to 100% and Audio cuts out.
A few other synths are acting similar, some I can only play a few notes, then CPU spike.
I tried PT in Native Silicon and Rosetta Modes.
Can anyone test and confirm?
I sent info to Roland as well
thanks!

Video Link of CPU Issues
https://studiopolisinc.box.com/s/gs8...0lhibccf9s979f
Old 12-12-2023, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Roland Cloud Instruments CPU Spikes Mac Studio M1

Please tell me that Roland Cloud does not actually mean running libraries from the cloud, but instead traditional local install... even having iCloud taking care of your Desktop and Documents causes problems.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuddy3 View Post
HI,
There are an number of Roland Instruments that are not usable because of CPU spikes.
In the Video example link below. When I open the SRX Dance Module the CPU is quite high and continues even though Im not playing any notes, When I play a SINGLE note ,You can see level meters on SRX Dance Gui.
A few other synths are acting similar, some I can only play a few notes, then CPU spike.
thanks!

Video Link of CPU Issues
What is the HW buffer size and sample rate? What happens if you set HW buffer to the largest size .

Is ignore errors checked? uncheck it and leave it unchecked... do you get a AAE CPU error?

It is hard to make out too much going on in the video. Are you playing MIDI live into the synth?

You might not have much more going on here than a slightly glitchy plugin(s). Is this a sample based synth? Are the samples streaming or cached? Any settings that control that? what drive make/model/spec are they on?

What other plugins give starting problems?

But you should be doublechecking the system is optimized and maybe running through the standard troubleshooting steps under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:36 PM

HI ,
thx for the reply.

I tried to convey, that there are No notes being played when the plug is opened. I then Play and hold a single note (Vu Meters on SRX then has Activity)
Not Sampled based to the best of my knowledge, unlike like Structure which is

Sample rate is 48K. PB Buffer is 128, I'll try higher buffer, but anything more then 128 isn't acceptable for Playing parts, feels laggy.

Roland Cloud is the Portal Program to Download the AAX Synths, same as Artutia, Toontrack,,etc

Ignore errors is checked, there are no PT Error warning windows that pop up.
PT System window max out to 100%, then usage falls when I stop hiloding the single note

It is possible the Synth is buggy, I'm waiting to hear from Roland.

I would imagine there are other PT users using Roland Synths -asking to see if they experience similar Issues with M1/M2 Mac Studios

Ill go through more Roland Plugs.
Everything -OSX, Plugs are a clean new install.
This is a Mac Studio M1 I recently purchased from an authorized reseller, that has be initialized to Factory clean.

I am familiar with the Sys Optimization,

thx
Best!
Old 12-13-2023, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Ignore errors is checked, there are no PT Error warning windows that pop up.
Uncheck ignore errors, and leave it unchecked. You want AAE errors to happen if there are problems.

Try with a large buffer, you are just tying to debug what is wrong here, not use it.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:25 PM

HI,
Increasing PB Buffer did help with CPU Spikes, still hitting 60-80 of PT CPU and a few 100%
I unchecked ignore errors, no PT error appeared,
Im going to assume at this point it's the Software instrument and or in combination with my Mac Studio CPU M1 max.
Still, if anyone has a similar system to compare notes would be cool

Best

M
Old 12-18-2023, 10:37 PM

This is all ringing a bell for me, and I cannot recall exactly what it was on DUC but if you Google for Roland plugs CPU dropout etc. there are lots of posts from folks about these problems, explanations from Roland about their plugins being so CPU intensive since they are doing electronic component level modeling etc. Even YouTube videos of problems with the plugins on Logic Pro: https://youtu.be/Kz5CWt036Ts?feature=shared

I have no idea how Rolands different software development efforts are organized but seeing the awful quality of some of their Audio interface drivers in the past would not inspire me with confidence.

And just in case you don't know about it I want to make sure you are aware of one known insidious bug when working with VIs in Pro Tools, And that is VIs can just lose their MIDI input assignment at times. In your mix and/or edit windows make sure you show the Instrument panel and if the VI stops playing then check that the MIDI is arriving at that track (ie the Instrument MIDI meter moves) and that the assignments shown there look correct/try resetting them. I am assuming your dropouts are the fault of the plugin, but want you to check that incase the plugin somehow triggers this other bug... in which case oh boy that would be interesting.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-18-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
HI,
thanks!

Video Link of CPU Issues

I just tested it and I have been using the Roland Cloud Synths since they became AAX Apple silicon ready. I have had absolutely no problems with them at all. I find them very stable in Pro Tools 2023.9 and even better in 2023.12. See my links attached below. I have eight of them loaded and the CPU is steady as a rock. My buffer was set at 128. They are all zero latency and the system delay is 59 samples. The earlier Mac Intel versions were CPU heavy but not the latest ones. Hope this helps. I forgot to mention, I too am on a Mac Studio. See my specs below. I would also like to add you definitely want to run them in ARM not Rosetta

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MJH...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pr_...ew?usp=sharing
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | Studio One Pro 6.6 | Logic Pro 10.8.1 | Dolby Atmos Render 5.2 & Album Assembler 1.3 | RME BabyFace Pro FS | UA Native Plugins & Sphere LX | SSL UC1 | 2023 Mac Studio M2 Max 12 Core CPU 38 Core GPU | MacOs 13.5.0 | Genelec 8020D & Yamaha MSP10 | Korg Kronos LS | Sonarworks Sound ID | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | DT 880 PRO | DT 770 Pro | etc.

Last edited by ZoeMusic; 12-19-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:21 PM

Just to be clear when comparing VI CPU use and H/W buffers behavior were these VI tracks record armed so they are using the H/W buffer? Without that they are using the 1024 or 2048 sample (depending on sample rate) disk playback buffer.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Just to be clear when comparing VI CPU use and H/W buffers behavior were these VI tracks record armed so they are using the H/W buffer? Without that they are using the 1024 or 2048 sample (depending on sample rate) disk playback buffer.
I will load the Armed video shortly in the same post. It takes about ten minutes to process on the google drive but yes they are armed.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | Studio One Pro 6.6 | Logic Pro 10.8.1 | Dolby Atmos Render 5.2 & Album Assembler 1.3 | RME BabyFace Pro FS | UA Native Plugins & Sphere LX | SSL UC1 | 2023 Mac Studio M2 Max 12 Core CPU 38 Core GPU | MacOs 13.5.0 | Genelec 8020D & Yamaha MSP10 | Korg Kronos LS | Sonarworks Sound ID | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | DT 880 PRO | DT 770 Pro | etc.