Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: ProTools 7 on Mac intel?

Quote:
I think this very much matters. Given Digi's timing on the last major Mac transition (I seem to remember that the first version of ProTools that ran on OS X was released at least two years after OS X was first released), I'm very much concerned that Digi might drag their feet and the fact that we hear nothig from them yet makes me nervous. I'm writing this on a three-year-old Powebook that is literally falling apart (hinge) and I hate to think that I'm going to have to buy a G4 Powerbook in order to still be able to run ProTools.

I, frankly, have little hope, even, that ProTools 7 has been developed in parallel on an Intel developer machine. I just wish Digi would give us a timeframe for expectig ProTools for Macintel. Somehow I have a feeling that Protools LE is not going to run under Rosetta...
Cubase says "We will release further information about mac x86", apple doensn't has to worry to much with Logic, so the last one with no information 'till now is ProTools, I thought ProTools 7 will be a binary sofware but it isn't so if somebody can tell us their roadmap with x86 transition, it will be appreciated.

Digidesign recommends a PC over a Mac so maybe this transition changes that.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Avid

Quote:
Digidesign does not recommend one platform or the other as both are well suited to running Pro Tools.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Digidesign does not recommend one platform or the other as both are well suited to running Pro Tools.
OK, but what about your plans for OS X x86? Are you going to start issuing universal binaries of Pro Tools as soon as possible, or will there be delays until machines like the PowerMac are ready? I don't know about most users, but as a portable user, I would appreciate the power of the new Intel Macs with Pro Tools, the G4 is starting to show its age. If possible, at least let us know if you have any roadmaps or what your plans are for releasing an OS X for Intel version of Pro Tools. Thanks, and I hope you all at Digidesign realize the importance of getting this Intel port out to consumers who need the extra power of the Intel platform in a laptop ASAP.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:37 PM

I'm sure Digi got the Developers Rig and they're testing on them.

Remember that the last Macs showed the PCIe (instead of X) which seems to be the direction (Intel anyone?) that Apple is going...

So PTx86 (OS X...) is on the go but very early.
usually digi getting smashed by Apple releasing some new update or release that cause issues with their product. with betas it's even worse as Apple can change anything as they like. so they can break something digi used = not efficient to work much when product isn't close to release time / final revision.

The issues with x86 & Rosetta
* For PT to work with x86 drivers are required. those must be written in x86 as they're written in very low code utilizing x86 exclusives.

* Rosetta is capable of full AltiVec PowerPC emulation however it cannot be used to "mix" x86 with PPC. so it seems there will be no x86<->PPC Plug-Ins bridge.

And ofcourse...
so far until we won't SEE any news from Apple we're all in the dark of what will be & when....
Old 01-07-2006, 07:43 AM

You can bet your bottom dollar there are some uber geeks over at Digiland burning the midnight oil to get PT happening on OSX for i86 ASAP!

[edit] Here's a challenge, if those new machines will boot Windows, OS X and Linux, are Digi gonna start releasing for Linux ?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:56 PM

I just ordered a MacBook Pro, so I hope Digi gets their stuff together....it's gonna be one smokin' machine! Lots of soft. developers already have universal binaries, so in my mind, digi is already slacking on this issue...
Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Lots of soft. developers already have universal binaries
Which developers have universal binaries out there right now? Not Digi, not Ableton, not NI, not Spectrasonics...even Logic won't have a universal binary until March.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 PM

I meant lots of non-audio apps are universal already, specially small ones. Do you think digi will be univseral in March to match the logic release? Why not?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:06 AM

Oh OK, fair enough. I agree that Digi may well have a universal binary for PT out by March, but even if they do you will only be able to run universal plugins under it. I'm looking forward to using Intel Macs, but I'd wait until the software's ready and we have some benchmark numbers before jumping...
Old 01-16-2006, 02:26 PM

So any word yet from digi about their timetable for OSX on intel hardware?