Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Insufficient access privileges - Protools 6.4 LE

Folks,

A friend gave me a protools file. He's asked me to add some woodwind sound to it. I'm trying to record directly onto a new track in the file that he provided, but I get the message:

"You do not have necessary access privileges (-5000) while creating "roots" while creating "audio files". How can I fix that? How do I get sufficient privileges?

Thanks,

Bond
Old 11-28-2004, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Insufficient access privileges - Protools 6.4

Quote:
Folks,

A friend gave me a protools file. He's asked me to add some woodwind sound to it. I'm trying to record directly onto a new track in the file that he provided, but I get the message:

"You do not have necessary access privileges (-5000) while creating "roots" while creating "audio files". How can I fix that? How do I get sufficient privileges?

Thanks,

Bond
Bond

With PT closed, navigate to the folder that contains the audio and fade folders and the PT session file. Select the folder or the PT sesh file and audio and fade folders and hold down apple and hit i (get info command) make sure under ownership and permissons that you have read and write selected also unlock the folders by clicking the padlock icon. next make sure that under 'details' ALL options are set to read and write, then hit apply to enclosed items. this should solve your problem. let us know how you get on.

regards
Pro Tools 6.4 cs9
HD 1 & 96 i/o
Waves Gold
867 Powerbook
Pro Tools 6.4 & MBox 10.3.4
Old 11-28-2004, 01:40 PM

Hello Senor Fader Invader!

Thanks for the tip. I was hopeful for a moment, but I did as you suggested. When I checked privileges, I have read write access to the folder, and to all files within the folder. Still, when I attempt to record a track to the Session file, I get the "-5000" error, insufficent access privileges. Any more clues? Thanks,

Bond
Old 11-29-2004, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Hello Senor Fader Invader!

Thanks for the tip. I was hopeful for a moment, but I did as you suggested. When I checked privileges, I have read write access to the folder, and to all files within the folder. Still, when I attempt to record a track to the Session file, I get the "-5000" error, insufficent access privileges. Any more clues? Thanks,

Bond
Bond

Hmmmm, this is odd. I have put the -5000 error into Answerbase and it really does seem to be a permission related problem. Are you 100% that the PT session was created mac/pc compatible? It might be worth following my last tip even if the get info command initially tells you permissions are read & write. Make sute you set this to enclosed items too!!

Also try trashing the authorization preferences folder in the Users>current user>library>preferences>authorization preferences folder.

If this still dosent work, as a last resort try using the import session data command and re-import the original material tracks/plugs/audio/tempo etc into a new session.

BTW this isnt coming from an external FW disk is it? If so verify permissions are set up correctly on the drive, using the apple i command.

Again, let us know how you get on.

Reagrds
Pro Tools 6.4 cs9
HD 1 & 96 i/o
Waves Gold
867 Powerbook
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 PM

Hello, more on the -5000 saga. I've followed all of your suggestions. I've checked every folder and file in the directory. Permissions are set to read and write. All files are unlocked. When I go to details the lock icon is unlocked, and the lock checkbox is unlocked.

I did notice that the files that came along with the session file are SoundDesigner II files. I'm not at all familiar with these. In the Get Info window, they are set to open with ProTools LE 6.4 (default).

I was able to create a couple of Audio Files using ProTools 6.4. They are separate audio files, and not part of the original session file. these are also Sound Designer II files.

As for the media, I got these from a CD. After I copied the files over to my harddrive, I returned the CD. It never occurred to me to check the media itself for permissions. Is that something that I should do? I'll check with my buddy and see how he recorded it.

Hey, thanks for the all the help. You can communicate off list if you'd like -- [email protected].

Bond
Old 11-30-2004, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Hello, more on the -5000 saga. I've followed all of your suggestions. I've checked every folder and file in the directory. Permissions are set to read and write. All files are unlocked. When I go to details the lock icon is unlocked, and the lock checkbox is unlocked.

I did notice that the files that came along with the session file are SoundDesigner II files. I'm not at all familiar with these. In the Get Info window, they are set to open with ProTools LE 6.4 (default).

I was able to create a couple of Audio Files using ProTools 6.4. They are separate audio files, and not part of the original session file. these are also Sound Designer II files.

As for the media, I got these from a CD. After I copied the files over to my harddrive, I returned the CD. It never occurred to me to check the media itself for permissions. Is that something that I should do? I'll check with my buddy and see how he recorded it.

Hey, thanks for the all the help. You can communicate off list if you'd like -- [email protected].

Bond
Hi Bond

Lets keep it on the list for a while longer, someone else may benefit at a later date.....

Ok. SD2 files are ok, they are a PT file type
files from cdr shouldnt be any problem at all.

Try using the import session data command. this allows you to copy audio, inserts, automation, bussing etc from other sessions. I think that this may be your best bet. So, create an empty new session e.g."Mix1" then goto the file menu and select import session data, navigate to your original problematic session, then select the 'elemenst' you need. presumably this will be everything. after you have imported the necessary 'elements' save the new session i.e mix1. hopefully this will resolve the problem, you should be good to get mixing!!!!

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Pro Tools 6.4 cs9
HD 1 & 96 i/o
Waves Gold
867 Powerbook
Old 11-30-2004, 09:55 PM

Whozahhhh! It works. I used the Import Session Data as you suggested, and I am now able to add my track to the session. This is such a satisfying moment that I may even use an ecstatic Graemlin as witness to the pleasure I will take in recording my first ProTools music! Thanks so much for all your help.

Bond
Old 09-16-2006, 11:07 PM

Just wanted to take a minute to thank you for the advice, Fader. I just searched the DUC with this issue and after several threads I finally found the answer.

BTW...resetting the permissions of the folder worked for me...the issue occured after uploading some sessions from someone elses computer.