Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 05:06 AM

Default begining to sound for film

Hi
I have a question about studio set up... I'm begining to make my own studio. but I dosen't have much idae about film sound. hope you guys don't mine to give me a suggestion. here is my question..

If I want to start to do sound for film. What do I need to get for my studio? Do I need Pro Tools HD system? If I want to start with smallest set of Pro Tools. What I suppose to have first? Audio Interface? Sync I/O? how many cardcore do I need?
IF you think I don't need Pro Tools. What do I need to use instead?

please educate me, thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: begining to sound for film

You don't need a TDM to get started.

Here's what I have now, and it works well.

Digi 002Rack with DV Tookit
Power Mac Dual 1.25 GHZ with 2 gigs of RAM
A couple of internal hard drives. some external firewire drives....and all the other basic computer stuff. More than enough for what I do. Mainy shorts and the like.

You'll probably start out doing shorts and commercials. $7K is a good amount to get you started, and thats for everything, including a desk and fancy chair.

You could also use Nuendo, which is truly native based, and requires no hardware to run at all besides your computer itself. I've heard really really good things about it, and know a lot of guys here in hollywood changing over to it from pro tools.

-BD