Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Wav driver: little sound blip at begining of play

I'm using the WAV driver for playback within SoundForge 6.0.

I've got the MBox set to the defaul playback in XP, so I've assigned the Microsoft Sound Mapper in SoundForge.

When I playback a file, there's a little blip of sound before the real sound begins. This happens even if there is digital silence, so I'm guessing this is an issue with the WAV driver or some combination of the driver and XP.

The wierd thing is, it doesn't seem to always happen. But maybe 75 percent of the time or more.

Anyone else dealing with this or have a solution? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Wav driver: little sound blip at begining of play

Bixby do you have some sort of effect inserted when this happens?It doesn't happen to me in SoundForge but with Acid it will happen, if I have a softsynth active.Also check the box, "interpolate for inaccurate devices" in SoundForge..
But what do I know I'm still recording with my Wavedriver

Old 03-30-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Wav driver: little sound blip at begining of play

Guys,
I might be totally off on this one, but me thinking...anything to do w/default vs actual sample rates?
Like wavedriver wants to see 44.1 Khz and the file is @ 48K... Or something like that. The "pop" is and indication of reclocking...just an idea.
It was so easy and clean before we had to use computers...

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 03-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Wav driver: little sound blip at begining of p

I've got the interpolate checked, and I'm not using any effects.

The reclocking theory sounds plausable, maybe. Shouldn't the Microsoft Sound Mapper take care of this (setting the clock, when I open up a .WAV), since I've got it set to default? Would there be a way around this, if it is the problem?

It's not a huge problem, but this is in a radio station, where we're still dubbing things off to minidisc for some things, and that's when it becomes a minor issue.

Thanks everybody-
Old 03-30-2004, 04:58 PM

Hey Bixby ,

Using PT LE ( you are using the Mbox..correct ?) feed the program to the minidisc rec, SPDIF in..
I don't quite get it...Doesn't the station's minidisc player have a SPDIF input ?
Ok, go analog.
And why , or more importantly..what are you using SF for ?
Of course if you have to, get a simple solid audiocard and set it up in a separate hardware profile
from PT LE.
What kind of a station is this anyway ??

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 03-30-2004, 08:20 PM

Our MDs have AES/EBU, but they're not set up to use them, they're hooked up to the board via analog.

We're using Soundforge for quick and dirty things - news voicers, etc., where a session in PT is just overkill - nothing really needs to be produced, just edited. I've attempted getting people to use Wavelab, but our news people are about as anti-technical as you can get. It took me nearly two hours to walk through one of the news people through the FIRST PTLE tutorial. Some of them don't even know what ALT-TAB does. So in the long run, it's probably better that we stay with what we know in that instance.

I'll likely end up just using a separate card for i/o for soundforge. We've got a CardDeluxe in one machine already, and it works great.

Oh, and we're a public radio station - in Wichita, Kansas. KMUW.

I can't wait for the day the Minidiscs and DATs go away, but it looks like it'll be at least two years before we get an automation/distribution system up and running. So until then...