Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2024, 05:29 PM

Default Logic Pro with Avid HDX

I've tried my best to search for an answer to this but can't seem to find one.
I am using Pro Tools Ultimate with the HDX system and it's working perfectly. I also use Logic in my studio as certain clients want to use it, I can select the HDX system to use with Logic as the Audio interface and it will work fine except for one major issue, that is when I go to record into Logic and select record enable, there is no monitoring, I guess Avid will not allow it?
I can use software monitoring in Logic, but thats a pain with even the lowest latency settings. Thanks for any help
Old 03-13-2024, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro with Avid HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Byrnes View Post
I've tried my best to search for an answer to this but can't seem to find one.
I am using Pro Tools Ultimate with the HDX system and it's working perfectly. I also use Logic in my studio as certain clients want to use it, I can select the HDX system to use with Logic as the Audio interface and it will work fine except for one major issue, that is when I go to record into Logic and select record enable, there is no monitoring, I guess Avid will not allow it?
I can use software monitoring in Logic, but thats a pain with even the lowest latency settings. Thanks for any help
Humm so IF I am understanding you and the actual technical definition of the slang phrase "but thats a pain with even the lowest latency settings." actually means there is still audible latency even with low setting in Logic ? . Perhaps this post from a thread about Logic and HDX may help

https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2660570&postcount=7

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-13-2024 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:19 PM

Hi K Roche, thank you for responding. What I'm trying to say is I don't want to use software monitoring in Logic at all, even after setting the buffers right down on both Logic and Pro Tools I can still here latency whilst playing drums. When I record in PT the monitoring is done direct through the HDX, no need to get any assistance through computer. I want this to happen in Logic, but somehow this function is not available, it's as though either Logic or Avid have switched that function off. I have 3 other Audio workstations I've accumulated over the years and they will work with Logic fine, meaning I monitor through those devices without latency. But I need the HDX to work as it has the right amount of ins and outs I need.
To work around it I am using PT in the background and monitoring through it and sending the outputs to Logic via Audio Bridge, that works but would rather not have to do that.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:37 PM

What you want to do and what will work are two different things.

Logic does not have access to the HDX DSP mix engine, it can't possibly do what you want. Nobody has "switched anything off". Avid and Apple would have to gut the mixer out of Logic and replace it with all the stuff to talk to HDX. That's all Avid proprietary and neither Avid or any third party DAW vendor is going to ever want to do this. I _think_ limitations like this are called out in the documentation, maybe not clearly enough.

It also has no separate hardware monitoring/hardware mixer support (unless you have a DAD/MTRX interface).

So your choices are software monitoring, or find an external hardware monitoring solution, or maybe find a different interface with lower CoreAudio latency (and possibly it's own hardware monitoring).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-14-2024 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Byrnes View Post
...it's as though either Logic or Avid have switched that function off.....

*Many* years ago Logic had the ability to use the HDX (or it might've even been TDM at that time) engine, so could do low-latency throughput monitoring with Avid hardware - at some point Apple stopped supporting that and it seems certain it's not coming back.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-15-2024, 08:24 AM

That was TDM only. And that whole history, tiny adoption, and abandonment (IIRC more by Avid than Apple) is part of why no third party would likely ever be interested in supporting something similar with HDX. Not that anybody would given the decreasingly smaller relative market share that HDX hardware has today.