Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Midi instrument problems

Hello. I am having problems with my Midi instruments which has only just appeared in the last 2 weeks but it is rendering Pro Tools useless!

If i have a midi track and an instrument selected (e.g xpand2) I can play the keyboard and the sound comes out, however as soon as the session is playing back or recording the midi track is playing however no sound comes from the plugin. What is stranger is while the track is playing, if i drag the instrument to a seperate insert it suddenly starts working as if its just been woken up! However the next time i play it, the same thing happens again until i move it to another insert!

This seems to affect a handful of my vsts, but not all. Ezdrummer is not affected by this and neither is the organ (dbb or whatever its called).

I have attempted a full reinstallation of PT9 however this has made no difference to it, I have not changed any settings on my imac that i am aware of, and I have no CPU issues when tracking audio instruments or using other plugins such as delays and EQs, its just the midi instruments, and like i said while the track is playing, if i move the instrument to a different insert it suddenly kicks into life.

I am using PT 9.0.6 on an imac running 10.6.8 with an mbox2

Thanks

Stu
Old 03-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Midi instrument problems

Welcome to one of the many bugs in Pro Tools. I have that too. Have you tried to actually play a keyboard part into the DAW and record the MIDI yet?

oh you're in for such fun. And by "fun" I mean "you will want to put your fist through the monitor."

System 1: Retina MBP 512SSD/16RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
System 2: Mac Mini - 512SSD/8RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10 HD
Pro Tools 11 HD
SYNC HD
Old 03-22-2014, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Midi instrument problems

Out of curiosity, does it make a difference if you start playback from the middle of the song, as opposed to from zero on the timeline? I ask because, for me, MiniGrand will often refuse to play if I start in the middle of a song(for several seconds, then it comes back with a big slamming first note/chord). If I start at 00:00:000, it plays perfect every time. My solution is to bus to an audio track and record the piano to audio, then make the instrument track inactive(I can always go back to it if I need to edit).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave