Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 09:37 AM

Default Re: New Mac Studios AND an AS Mac Pro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
If you need ... PCI slots, I suppose the MP is your thing.
I do but having had a bit of time to think about it... I'm going to wait for the M3 (assuming that is what it will be called).

The new Studio and Mac Pro are a performance increase over the M1 Studio but not enough of one to make upgrading from that machine right now either, esp given I can't max that machine out in terms of processor/memory, my only issue with it is due to TB3 limitations but that are fairly minimal in how they impact my working day anyway.

Apple's move to 3nm (or N3E) will likely be a big performance increase and holding out for now is the most sensible thing to do.

I will happily accept one as a gift, if anyone feels generous though.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting

Last edited by uptheoctave; 06-09-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
But the unqualified statement "It's a $3,000 PCI expansion chassis!" kinda sounds a lot like click bait nonsense
I'm not sure that his statement was so far off. It may be nonsense, but not because of how he termed it, rather because it's a heavy premium to pay for what does largely boil down to the ability to use PCI cards. The cost itself is what's perceived as nonsense to a lot of people.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm not sure that his statement was so far off. It may be nonsense, but not because of how he termed it, rather because it's a heavy premium to pay for what does largely boil down to the ability to use PCI cards. The cost itself is what's perceived as nonsense to a lot of people.
Yes it was very off and the problem was exactly in how he "termed it" which was the nonsense .

He did not say it was a $3k cost for the ability to use PCIe cards (which is a valid observation ).

He stated it was a $3k "expansion chassis " which it most definitely is not. An expansion chassis is external . The MP has 7 internally connected PCIe slots --- For which the advantages over an external expansion chassis, have been well detailed in this thread.

But when he later later qualified then yes I agree and it is not off at all -- I suppose perhaps I may have been overly critical of his initial post , but IMO vague, ambiguous, or inaccurate quips (rant based exaggeration or otherwise) do nothing to contribute to a productive discussion forum. YMMV

And while people are certainly entitled to their perspectives. That does not automatically make them valid, or based in objectivity. When people look only at the price and not the all particulars the perspective can often be skewed

I think I have made my position clear no need to further rehash ,so I will simply again post this video comparison of the new Studio and new Mac Pro. https://youtu.be/uZAcJoL0rpA

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-08-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:43 AM

Well I love my Mac Studio Ultra. I would certainly buy a Mac Pro if I had any problems with the MS Ultra. The problems I DO have are more about it not going to sleep and USB being temperamental. I'm not sure that will be solved w the Mac Pro etc because I haven't seen any mention of it.
It's just a small nuisance compared to the gridlock of my old 2012 cheesegrater.
I haven't run into any brick walls yet, but I'm not scoring films with hundreds of tracks etc.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 06-11-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Yes it was very off and the problem was exactly in how he "termed it" which was the nonsense .
]
Basically any you say comes from the purest of heart and thought, as though kissed by baby deer and blessed by Vulcans for it's logic, while any one who doesn't see it your way is a lying devil..

You have made your self very clear. Not clear that you're correct but clear that you have issues. Eric knew what I meant immediately yet you seam to not follow it and rather attack.

You must be super happy with your god like self.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:50 PM

I saw a YouTube video a couple of days ago that the new Mac Pro only has 300 watts of available auxiliary power. Anyone know if this is true? If so that ain’t a whole lot.

Also there is an HDX card on Reverb that has no fan or shroud and no auxiliary power socket either???
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 06-11-2023, 01:56 PM

It may just be a different point of view. The new MP isn't *literally* a $3K PCI chassis, of course, so you were just being rhetorical. This is how I read the comment.

However, I think for anyone considering an MP, that term isn't very flattering, BUT that doesn't make it untrue. For many people, they will drop the extra $$ purely for the PCI slots, therefore making your statement accurate for those people, even if, technically, they didn't spend $3K for an expansion chassis.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Basically any you say comes from the purest of heart and thought, as though kissed by baby deer and blessed by Vulcans for it's logic, while any one who doesn't see it your way is a lying devil..

You have made your self very clear. Not clear that you're correct but clear that you have issues. Eric knew what I meant immediately yet you seam to not follow it and rather attack.

You must be super happy with your god like self.

C
Wow , so now resorting to sophomoric sarcasm, ad hominem attack, and straw man misrepresentation ( my stating it is "definitely not a $3k expansion chassis " and "Yes it was very off and the problem was exactly in how he "termed it" which was the nonsense") is a long way from labeling you as a "lying devil" juss sayin'

Sorry I hurt your feelings. But I no I did not "get" what you meant.
Guess that makes me the bad guy...(yep a bit of sophomoric sarcasm )

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-12-2023 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:50 PM

What's stopping anyone from picking up an external PCI-E enclosure?
Old 06-11-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
What's stopping anyone from picking up an external PCI-E enclosure?
For what?

You mean a Thunderbolt 3 to PCIe enclosure? After I and others have pointed out in this very thread the huge increase in PCIe performance of this Mac Pro over Thunderbolt enclosures. And yes let me restate the bleeding obvious before others do, that only matters if you need the performance which for Audio you might not, others might especially for lots of fast local NVMe storage, or for folks at the bleeding edge to keep up with 100Gbit Ethernet etc.

And then there is the noise of external chassis and ending up with lots of chassis cables everywhere etc. The stuff already discussed in this thread...