Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 AM

Thumbs up Asus P6T6 WS Revolution*All PCIe!!!*

Though this would be good for an Windows-based HD DAW. This uses the new Nehalem chips (Socket 1366), and includes Six PCIe slots. More than enough for a GPU and three or four HD|Accel Cards. There is no Firewire though, but that can be solved with a PCIe expansion card. Digi should test and certify this board. As far as the layout goes, this is the best one yet! Now where is those new Dual-Socket Nehalm Server chips at....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131358

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by M-ManLA; 03-11-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelled "Nehalem" Wrong
Old 02-27-2009, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution*All PCIe!!!*

I already suggested this board to Digi a several months back for those exact reasons. HD4 or 5 PCIe on modern Quad power with Hyperthreading....All of the i7 stuff uses the same chipset (X58) so they could qualify the chipset for LE at the same time.

I actually have the Revolution board sitting here with the approved ADS PYRO PCIe FW card.

We're already testing this stuff on the LE side of things. Its a RTAS monster

I have pretty much determined that the PCIe HD cards will fit with no interference. I could really use a tracing out line of a actual HD card to verify this though. If anybody had a spare HD PCIe card they could trace and scan or email me or preferably snailmail.

Since I don't have HD PCIe I would be real interested to find some body that did and was willing to to spend a couple hours installing a card or two to see if this board would work. I would be willing to travel within say a 250 mile radius of Cleveland to attempt this. Any takers?

These boards are running fine with LE and Windows 32bit.

This is the DIY PCIe solution that everybody has been waiting for.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Here is one with a pci slot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131352

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsound Recording View Post
I think the whole idea here is to ditch PCI/PCI-X.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Yea, But sometimes folks need the PCI slot for a UAD1 card or somthing

I am going to build a Dual quade core soon. Not sure what board yet.

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM

[quote=sunburst79;1359628]

I actually have the Revolution board sitting here with the approved ADS PYRO PCIe FW card.

Hey Sunburst! What is the model number of this FW card, and where can I buy it. I need to get one so I can put my UAD 1 card back in my PC, (wouldn't run on an nvidia chipset with a pci FW card.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:52 PM

[quote=SaxMan2150;1359907]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post

Hey Sunburst! What is the model number of this FW card, and where can I buy it. I need to get one so I can put my UAD 1 card back in my PC, (wouldn't run on an nvidia chipset with a pci FW card.
Nvidias actually been quite problematic with both the 6 and 7 series chipsets with PT.

I beleive the FW card is on the Digi approved list also. It's the ADS PYRO 1394 PCIEXPRESS model APS-316. I got mine at MicroCenter.

I need to point out one thing. The higher end ASUS boards like this that have the full complement of 6 DIMM slots have a issue while launching PT LE with firewire interfaces while running XP Pro x64 (you need to pull a stick of RAM in order to get PT to launch). I suspect that this will take a BIOS fix by ASUS. The USB interfaces work just fine with XP Pro x64. I would like to point out that this is not a factor using the Digi approved 32 bit operating systems. I will be trying to talk to ASUS tech support about this Monday and make them aware of the issue.

The Gigabyte X58 UD3R works just fine with PT, Firewire and XP Pro x64 along with the ASUS P5K Deluxe, the Intel IDG45IG and the ASUS P5Q SE2. So the issue mentioned above seems limited to the 6 DIMM slot ASUS boards like the P6T and the Revo.

So far the i7 stuff seems to working pretty well on the LE side. And the RTAS numbers at the lowest buffer settings are just stupid.

I'm assume that it would run HD PCIe just fine but have no way of testing it.

This board has lot going for it. Built in SAS for streaming video. The ability to run HD5 PCIe Accel. Room for multiple high end video cards if your work involved using programs that could offload rendering to the GPU's. You could even run a PCIe UAD card.

With the exception I mentioned above I am stoked about this board.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yea, But sometimes folks need the PCI slot for a UAD1 card or somthing

I am going to build a Dual quade core soon. Not sure what board yet.

I would wait until Mac issues the new i7 based Mac Pros and Digi has approved them and then look for a board that is as close as possible.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 02-28-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I already suggested this board to Digi a several months back for those exact reasons. HD4 or 5 PCIe on modern Quad power with Hyperthreading....All of the i7 stuff uses the same chipset (X58) so they could qualify the chipset for LE at the same time.

We're already testing this stuff on the LE side of things. Its a RTAS monster

I have pretty much determined that the PCIe HD cards will fit with no interference. I could really use a tracing out line of a actual HD card to verify this though. If anybody had a spare HD PCIe card they could trace and scan or email me or preferably snailmail.

Since I don't have HD PCIe I would be real interested to find some body that did and was willing to to spend a couple hours installing a card or two to see if this board would work. I would be willing to travel within say a 250 mile radius of Cleveland to attempt this. Any takers?

These boards are running fine with LE and Windows 32bit.

This is the DIY PCIe solution that everybody has been waiting for.
Yes I am going to get this board next. I use to get Abit, but the board I have kind of let me down a little in the performance area (IX38 Quad GT). It is also very difficult to upgrade the firmware on the board. I would now switch to Asus since they have this area on lock, and Abit is no longer making motherboards anymore.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
That will defeat the purpose though of owning a PCIe HD system with the board layout. I would rather have a board with no PCI/PCI-X. Also three of the PCIe runs at x16 the whole way! Something that is very important if you are building this system for strictly video.