Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 11-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Canīt run or uninstall Pro Tools

Hi. Iīm trying to run Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE on Windows 10 Pro. The problem is that when I try to run the program, I get a blue screen error that says "INVALID KERNEL HANDLE". I figure the problem might resolve itself if I reinstall, but each time I try to uninstall, I get a blue screen with the same message. When I try to uninstall through the programs list in control panel, the blue screen happens almost right away. When I tried to uninstall through the option in the DVD menu, it got through some of the uninstallation process then the blue screen happened. In any case, the program is still visible on my system.

So how do I at least uninstall Pro Tools? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system:
Casing: Cougar MX500
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 5
CPU: Intel core i5 6600, 3.3 ghz
RAM: Kingston DDR4, 8 gb
Video card: EVGA Geforce GTX950, 2 gb
Hard drive: Western Digital 7200 rpm, 1 tb
Screen Resolution: 1440x900
Avid MBox 3 audio interface
Old 11-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Canīt run or uninstall Pro Tools

This is not going to work. You can find compatibility information under the Additional Resources link up the top of DUC web pages.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:54 AM

Ok, but thereīs a least got to be a way to get it off my computer, even if I manually delete all the files, right?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Well the Uninstaller is not compatible with Windows 10 either. You have to check this stuff before trying to instal museumware on a brand new OS.

There is no quick fix that I've heard of to get the uninstaller to work. Sure in principle you can manually delete all the files, drivers, hidden files, DLLs, registry entries, .... etc. But folks are unlikely to waste their time going though and testing and documenting all this.

Why do you need to uninstall it?

To just try reinstalling it? That is a total waste of time.

To save space... just delete the application and plugin folders, that will get most of the space back.

If you want to install other (actually supported) versions of Pro Tools etc. and you want to know the system is fully OK then roll back to the backup you made before trying to install Pro Tools. If you have no backup then do a full clean reinstall of Windows 10. And start doing backups properly.

If you want to run Pro Tools 8 LE you should install an an older actually known to be compatible/supported version of Windows.

And you need to worry about compatibility of both Pro Tools and your interface driver.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:24 PM

I installed PT8 a long time ago and initially it worked fine; maybe it stopped working properly due to a windows update. I donīt think I have a restore point nor backup of before I installed PT8. If I install the latest version of Pro Tools on my comp, will it properly overwrite every file, registry entry, dll, etc of Pro tools 8 or will I have to reinstall Windows 10 no matter what if I want to put the latest version of Pro Tools on my comp?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist91 View Post
I installed PT8 a long time ago and initially it worked fine; maybe it stopped working properly due to a windows update. I donīt think I have a restore point nor backup of before I installed PT8. If I install the latest version of Pro Tools on my comp, will it properly overwrite every file, registry entry, dll, etc of Pro tools 8 or will I have to reinstall Windows 10 no matter what if I want to put the latest version of Pro Tools on my comp?
Tough to say. One trick that sometimes works with older software is installing using Compatibility mode and setting for Windows XP or Vista(not saying this WILL work, just that it might). Another option, delete everything you can find by searching your C: drive(Program Files, Program files9x86, Common files, anything Avid or Digidesign). Then downloading CCleaner and using that to clean out the Windows Registry(run that function repeatedly until it reports "no issues found").

This is a reminder of how handy "Drive Imaging" can be. If you had saved a drive image before installing PT, you would be able to recover from that image and be right back where you were before. If you are not hip to drive imaging and drive cloning, you NEED to be It will save your bacon(its saved mine too many times to count). Windows users: Paragon Backup&Recovery, Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect and AOMEI Backupper Pro are all decent options. Mac users, Carbon Copy Cloner gets lots of recommendation(not a Mac user so can't offer other options, but I'm sure there are some)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist91 View Post
If I install the latest version of Pro Tools on my comp, will it properly overwrite every file, registry entry, dll, etc of Pro tools 8 or will I have to reinstall Windows 10 no matter what if I want to put the latest version of Pro Tools on my comp?

No. And even if it appears to work to work you will never know if the system is messed up and will have problems later on. The only way to be sure it is as good as can be is to do a full Windows install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk