Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM

Default Digi 003 as hardware control surface for Ableton Live?

Hi,
Is it possible to use the Digi 003 as a control surface for Ableton Live 6? Basically, I want to put ProTools host software aside, and use the 003 as an audio i/o and control surface, but I'm not sure what settings I'd choosing in Live's midi preferences. (There certainly isn't any selection for "003" among its long list of 3rd party control surfaces, so does 003 emulate MackieControl?)
And would I use the 003's "ProTools Mode" which apparently works with ReWire devices (does protools have to be running as the ReWire host?) or one of the other MIDI maps.

I've read the MIDI Mode Guide PDF and looked through the support archives and DUC, but there can't find any info that clarifies this.
Can anyone tell me how to set up Live to allow it to be controlled by the 003 (e.g. faders, etc.)

I'm using a Macbook Pro running 10.4.x and Live 6.0.7.
thanks,
Ben
Old 04-12-2008, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Digi 003 as hardware control surface for Ableton Live?

Okay, I heard back from Ableton's support in a few hours (wow, *they* know how to take care of their customers). They suggested two routes to explore.

A.) I can manually map, in Live, using its MIDI learn function, all of the 003s outgoing MIDI. Tedious sounding. Has anyone already done this and feel like sharing this map? Or at least tell me any tips or pointers, encouragement or discouragement?

B.) I can make a custom preset on the 003. It could perhaps mimic the Mackie Control automap in Live, or maybe something else. Again, has anyone made a MIDI map preset, this time on the 003 side?

Looking at the "Midi Mode Guide", I don't really understand – of the presets Digi provides for the 003 – if there is a good one to start with, to create a map for Live. The "003 Map" is for "ReWire clients such as Reason". What if I were using Reason (or Live) as host rather than as a client?

It would be nice if Digidesign made an editor/librarian that you could create, edit, and store presets on your computer, rather than have to do so on the 003 itself (sometime in the 90's, I stopped having time to scroll through tables of characters and numbers using dials, to name things and choose MSB/LSB values). Many (most?) manufacturers provide this for their customers, to add value; Novation has a really nice one for the Remote SL.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
A.) I can manually map, in Live, using its MIDI learn function, all of the 003s outgoing MIDI. Tedious sounding. Has anyone already done this and feel like sharing this map? Or at least tell me any tips or pointers, encouragement or discouragement?
I did this with an earlier version of Live and early in the life of the 003. I was not satisfied with it.

Quote:
It would be nice if Digidesign made an editor/librarian that you could create, edit, and store presets on your computer, rather than have to do so on the 003 itself (sometime in the 90's, I stopped having time to scroll through tables of characters and numbers using dials, to name things and choose MSB/LSB values).
Yes, that would be really cool.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I did this with an earlier version of Live and early in the life of the 003. I was not satisfied with it.
Yeah, I guess I'll use the Novation Remote SL I have, but I thought since i got a 003 (for tracking, and in the hopes of finding more post work; traded up from a 001), I might as well use the interface with its flying faders and scrub wheel, for Live, which has become my sequencer of choice. But the 003 seems to be an expensive paperweight when outside of Protools. I kinda wish I'd gotten a Mackie Control, and would recommend that to anyone weighing options.

I'm still open to finding a way to use the 003 for apps like Live, but Digi could commit a few worker-hours to create a few 3rd party software maps for their customers. They don't seem to even have customer support staff on this (aptly named) User Conference. It would certainly help everyone if they supplied definitive answers to questions like these.
Quote:
It would be nice if Digidesign made an editor/librarian that you could create, edit, and store presets on your computer, rather than have to do so on the 003 itself (sometime in the 90's, I stopped having time to scroll through tables of characters and numbers using dials, to name things and choose MSB/LSB values).
Again, Digi could show their loyalty and appreciation for their users, but they seem to only feel this way about their HD users, which actually doesn't make me want to step up to that system.

sorry for the negativity and pessimism, and thanks to anyone taking the time to read this, especially for any responses.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Just a little bounce for this thread... Did anyone ever come up with a way of integrating the 003 with ableton?

I've got mine working as an audio interface and MIDI flowing through it to control external devices fine.

Would be really nice if I could get the automated faders and maybe the transport section to function with it though!

Anyone got any smart ideas...?