Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Zoom in to the sample waveform doesn\'t work

After 10 years of using PT, I'm having a problem.

I try to zoom in the region to the maximum to use the pencil tool. It zooms in but stops zooming before I can see the waveform (samples) which I can change, draw with pencil tool.

This session has been opened from OMF (Avid) in WAVE format 48/16. I tried to copy the region, Save session copy in with All audio files checked, importing to other session (session data) as a track. Nothing helps.
What is interesting that if I create a new session and make a new track than create a region (Signal generator), it zoom in just fine. If I import from problematic session, session data as new track with copying audio files selected, the problem returns. I cannot zoom enough even tone created with Signal Generator. If I delete just imported (problematic track) problem persists and I still cannot zoom enough.
Again all other sessions zooming just normal. Including OMF opened and created with same version of PT, on my system.
The only way I can zoom in, is to create a new session and import a file from the Audio Files of the problematic session. But that doesn't help with a movie of 45 min...

Anyone experiences this problem? May be I just something missing or forgot?
I need help, cause I see no way around.

Here is the configuration:
G5 10.4.9
RAM 2 GB
PT HD2 Accel 192 i/o
PT HD 7.4 cs5

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Zoom in to the sample waveform doesn\'t work

sounds like a file permissions problem I've encountered
try making a 0 gain change copy w/ Audio Suite and see if you can get into the sample level on that file

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks for reply.
But no, it doesn't solve the problem.
Either processing with audio suite or copying (Shift+Option +3).

How did you solve it when you had it?

Thanks.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM

This is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

I deleted all the tracks, all the regions, everything but the markers. I created a new track, made a file with a Signal Generator....and STILL !!!! ZOOM IS NOT WORKING to EXTREME!!!!!!
Digi, I can email you this empty session, create or import a file in it and try to zoom in. You won't be able to do so!
It's insane!!!! I am afraid it's a bug.

BTW I found the way to solve this problem - I exported all the tracks as OMF and than reopened it. Everything went well. I am just missing my markers though. And of course I am lucky that I had no editing and plugins or automations (OMF would not translate it)!!!

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Anyone willing to try experience this or solve it please email me:
mgoorevich at yahoo dot com

I will email you in attachment, an absolutely empty session (even without markers) for you to test.

Create an audio track import or use AS plugin a region and try extreme zoom in on it.
You will not be able.
Digi, would you like to try?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi,
Try starting with a new session. You have automation, audio, midi, or markers too far out in the timeline. I'm not sure how far is too far, but try deleting everything after 2 hours into the session. I think even 3 hours and you can zoom to the sample. I think it's when you get samples like 10 hours out from the start of the session you will not beable to zoom into the sample. Hope this helps.
Best,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Do you possibly have automation breakpoints, markers, etc. further down the timeline, long past the end of the last region? This has, at least in the past, prevented the possibility to zoom in to sample level.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Guys!
I have deleted all. So it's absolutely empty session. No tracks, no automations, no markers, no fades.
It looks just like you create a new session.
And still is corrupted. Because if you create a new track and try to zoom, you will not be able to do so.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Old 06-20-2008, 12:53 AM

I had a similar issue to this a while ago, and it turned out to be the "window default length" time in preferences.
If you have this window length set to a specific length (such as 12:00:00:00 or whatever) then it limits how far you can zoom in. whereas if you have the window length be 00:00:00:00 you can zoom in much deeper to the sample.
I'm not in front of Pro Tools right now, so it might even by the other way around, but try tinkering with that. it will hopefully help?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 AM

No, it doesn't help either. I am aware of this issue and this was the first thing I checked.
Changing default edit window length time code to any value (incl. 00:00:00:00) doesn't affect this.
BTW, it was originally 00:00:00:00. But again, NO tracks at all!
More thoughts?
Digi, this can happen to anyone. I spent 3 hours trying to figure out how I can overcome this issue.
I created an OMF and than back opened an OMF. This is the only thing that helped. But we are not supposed to work this way. Aren't we?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com