Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Will Avid ever add folders and why keep BS'ing about fixes that aren't there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
They've got so many of the HDX user base convinced that DSP is required for stability at low latency and many of them believe they are getting .7ms RTL in full sessions where each plugin has 8 samples here and 10 samples there and additional busses also add to RTL. That said, it seems that someone on HDX might be able to pull off ~2ms of RTL in real world project, where 32 sample buffer in a real world session is more likely ~3ms.

One quick question, I've seen your threads around and I'm getting much better VI performance in S1 than you seem to be. No problems recording even Diva in large sessions with 6 fx busses fully routed and in use at the 32 sample buffer. On my machines (haven't done a lot of formal testing) it seems to work better with VST plugins than AU. Curious if you gave that a shot.

I do wish S1 had full breakpoint automation on the clip gain, multi-ch support and something like automation preview. Also I think a double or even quad buffer option for VI's would be a great setting. Audio tracks incur 2x buffers latency and VI's only 1x...It would be great to have host buffer at 32 and VI's at 64 or even 16/32 or 16/64.

https://answers.presonus.com/45985/d...w=45985#q45985

To me it seems like the only part of Avid's audio division that's consistently doing anything is the eucontrol/euphonix folks.

I'd have no problem paying yearly for PT update plans (for 2, soon to be 4 PT|U licenses) if they were engaged and improving things.
What are your mac specs? I can do that in S1 on my imac Pro also..
But in Logic I can do more than double.. my posts just mean that S1 performance is behind other DAWs..
In my posts at gearslutz I am getting 130 notes of polyphony out of sylenth playing all at once, on a 5 year old laptop, in S1 on mac. But in Logic I get 280 notes.. that's the difference.
If you have a powerful mac, that will make all the difference again.. I can't compare without knowing what sort of mac you are talking about... and that doesn't mean it's good performance.. what you are describing, I can do in Logic on my old macbook, I just tested it right now before making the reply. What fx are on the fx busses? I mean sorry but your post doesn't really tell me anything.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Will Avid ever add folders and why keep BS'ing about fixes that aren't there?

This thread was moved to general Discussion because it is a general Discussion and not 2019 specific and we try to move unrelated threads but as 99% use the new posts button no threads are ”hidden” away, just moved to General as this is a broad topic with talks and comparing with other DAW’s and VI testing etc

Not everything is a conspiracy.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-08-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
This thread was moved to general Discussion because it is a general Discussion and not 2019 specific and we try to move unrelated threads but as 99% use the new posts button no threads are ”hidden” away, just moved to General as this is a broad topic with talks and comparing with other DAW’s and VI testing etc

Not everything is a conspiracy.
I don't see it as a conspiracy, just an error in judgement, and I find it strange that SO many topics complaining about lack of reinstatement and sub prices stay in 2019 when they are *exactly* what should be in the "general" and have nothing to do with PT 2019. This topic started specifically about 2019 and was not meant to compare performance to other DAWs.. That's like saying when someone says "I am going to S1, it's much cheaper and just one upgrade price per release" in the "PT new pricing" topics, that it's talking about other DAWs. Yet they remain specifically in the 2019 subforum where they get traction and discussion. So I'm allowed to be a little peeved as this was supposed to be a serious topic about the features Avid promised us and will now be relegated to another has been no one will see.

Last edited by TNM; 12-08-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
That's correct.. The only work around is to put the MAIN ruler as samples, and the project *must* load with this ruler already set that way, and then it works. If you use bars and beats or any other as main rulers, it snaps to the wrong value.. on windows it doesn't do this and works perfectly. It's an acknowledged bug. Can you imagine when I knew the exact amount of latency I had to move something to get it phase perfect, and I was going nuts as I KNEW i had moved it the right amount and was still out of phase? LOL! I then finally tracked it down to realising it wasn't putting it where I asked.. It's a known bug with no timeline to fix.

Re performance, I have been expanding my performance testing and I know what's wrong.. PT used to allow me to use about 85+% real cpu on playback (for example I could get it to almost 700% of maximum 800% of an 8 thread machine.. which was amazing..and this was consistent up to PT 2019), when no tracks were record armed.. It would spread it so perfectly and be ridiculously efficient. With 2019, it's gone to about 65% max and it still might burp and stutter and overload.. This is why performance is much lower than Logic now where as before, as long as you had a 128 buffer or higher, it was actually in the lead. On the flip side, Logic is now able to use 85% of your total real cpu/cores where as prior it was about 70%. So, Logic's performance has been continually improved, and Pro Tools has gone backwards..

Of course I want to talk to support about it but they obviously have no clue what they are doing when it comes to the engine.. its like.. someone programmed it and now they have gone, and some trainees are maintaining it and making it worse.. That's the only thing I can think of. I really can not understand when I had months worth of emails with support about performance, and they said they knew all about it and could reproduce it, and they were fixing it (it was supposed to be fixed December last year latest), it's gotten a lot worse.
I have real projects, not benchmark tests, that really taxed the mac with PT 12.. and they can not even get close to playing back on the same mac now.
I have had to move those projects to the iMac Pro, where they will play back cause of the massive extra overhead vs the quad core laptop.

At this stage I am just not sure what to do.. I know that come December 2020 I will need 340 AUD to continue, or maybe even more if our dollar keeps dropping.. So part of me wants to go and buy literally 4 more years worth of those discounted renewals at Thomann as they still have them in stock, but the other part of me think that we might be exactly where we are now in 4 years, I'll be 50 and still whinging about PT lol.
MAYBE if support listen to me and understand what I am saying, that it stops playback with a much lower load than it did before.. maybe they will fix it...
Who knows.

I do remember that there was a 12.x point release with a performance issue like this, and they fixed it in the next release.. so maybe?? I am truly stuck. It's all money, and I am tired of giving it to ungrateful people.

Does anyone ever get the feeling that Avid board members sit back and literally hysterically laugh at us for continuing to give them money? I promise you that's how I feel sometimes, like I am their fool.. and it's a real uneasy feeling. Then other times I get a glimmer of hope and defend them (folders).. But that was a LIE!
They don't even say.. "sorry about that, there's a delay, it's coming soon".. or.. something! They just expect us to be good little sheep and comply.

One thing I truly DO wish is that every single person on the planet that uses Pro Tools, suddenly stopped renewing it, whether sub or perpetual.. so they'd actually be forced to sell, or would come to us, the users, to get a list of things that they HAVE to get done. I know it's a dream to think that but I really wish it could happen.
Hard to disagree with this.

I have been using Auto-Align for too long it seems.... Gonna have to give the nudge thing a try! Damn...

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com