Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 11:49 AM

Default How much should I get paid?

I'll start by saying I have been an avid reader in this forum for a few years. Thanks for all the tips and information guys and gals. And for the Window placer software. This has been a great resource for me.

I interviewed with a midwestern post-production studio this week. This place does TV and radio commercials for some major regional brands. As this would be my first FT job in audio I don't know what to expect for salary. I admit I am in a bit over my head, but am confident I can do the level of work. Any ideas of salary expectations?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: How much should I get paid?

What exactly are the job duties and hours? What about benefits?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:11 PM

i work at a well respected commercial studio and when i started employment i was an unpaid intern for a few months and than i started to get paid at a rate of $10/hr than after a few more months it went to $15/hr. we charge $60/hr and i get $15 from it. i didnt go to a recording school or anything. that is the reason for the unpaid internship. have you completed any type of schooling? if so that may (or may not) get you more money.
it turned out that the school didnt even matter for me cause the other guys i work with did go to school and they make the same $15/hr that i do. i would think how much you will get paid would be based on the studios hourly rate if you are a house engineer. the freelance engineers that come in and do stuff where im at charge their own rate that is sepreate from ours.
check us out at www.tempermillstudios.com
Old 02-09-2004, 02:04 PM

Hi. Just a bit of advice. Generally speaking - if you are working for a firm- a bonafide company, your salary would be consist of a dollar amount before taxes, vacation and holidays, insurance benefits, a 401K match maybe, possibly a pension but not usually, an expectation of 40/hours per week gaurantee, and maybe other fringe benefits. Generally fringe for a typical US service company runs around 30 to 35%- so if you got 10.00/hour; you would get another $3 to $3.50 in benefits. If you were a contractor or working on a casual basis, you would expect to get the $10.00 plus enough to cover your own expenses (fringe benefits) 3.50, plus an additional premium say 30% to cover down time if you were say 70% utilized. That would translate to 10.00 + 3.50 + 3.00= $16.50/hour.

If you are asked "what are your salary expectations?"; my advice would be not to answer but consider turning the tables around. For example you could ask them about thier benefits, if it is a full-time job, etc. You could also tell them that salary would include other benefits. Show your interest. Tell then you would entertain any reasonable offer. When you get the offer (hopefully in writing and describing benefits); you can then respond in writing - and even consider asking for a bit more. If you feel you absolutely have to give them a figure before any offer- know the benefit scenario and then give them a range. If you want 10.00/hour, then tell them, "given the responsibilities of the position, I would think I am worth $15 to 20/hour and would consider an offer." Reinforce that you would be very interested in working with them and keep them interested. If they asked you how much you made on your last job, tell them you don't see how that would have anything to do with this job because it was a different job with different responsibilities- and again reinforce your interest in them and your willingness to consider an offer.

Don't sell yourself short. Maybe they would pay $30/hour- you never know. One other thing about service industries- If they can keep you busy, they will pay more. As a staff level (near entry)- expect a base salary (not counting fringe) at around 25 to 30% (aka 3X multiplier)) of what they bill you out for- more if you are a pro with more experience. So if it is your first job and they bill you out at $50.00/hour, then it is reasonable to get around $15 to 16.50 + benefits.

So I hope that helps you.

Good luck.

Mike

July

MP3's
Old 02-09-2004, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the advide and the numbers, especialy the billing formula. It seems to make sense to pay a person a percent of what that person can bill a client. I'll keep that in mind when I see him again.

The duties would include recording V/O talent, editing music beds, adding SFX, etc. We have only spoken about "creativity" and my interest in the work, so I don't even know what benefits are offered.

He did mention doing a "test project" what whould you guys think of that? a blow-off?

Old 02-09-2004, 02:54 PM

A test project is a great way to get started. Talk to him about the test and find out what he's looking for. Tell him you will work on the project up to x hours for x $/hour. Write him a short letter stating the terms with a space at the bottom for him to sign. Get his signature. Tell him you'll do the test project for $30.00/ hour and see if he bites. If so, you have your signed letter (a contract ) and get started. Worst case is you will have started a consulting gig- and you will have set the basis for future work. If he likes you, he'll offer you a job then you can decide where to go from there. The test job is a good way to go. Just make him pay you for your time- he'll respect you for that. If he doesn't want to pay, then he's probably not that interested, but you could offer to give him a one hour test- no more. Stand on your principal that you are worth your money. And after all, he'll be the one who is actually being tested!

July

MP3's
Old 02-09-2004, 03:27 PM

Have you done this type of work before? IOf so, give them a sampling of that. It should more than be sufficient for a demo of your working ability.

Find out their customer billing rates, as well as benefits offered. You should be getting 1/3 the billing rate minumum plus benefits.

Don't sell yourself short, or you'll end bu always coming out short with this company IMHO.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:40 PM

Its not audio-engineering, but when i started at where i work now (video-editor in a large postproductionhouse) i had to proove what i said (that i was experienced). They didnt care for any papers.... Just placed me in an editsuite and let me work on some different projects. They peeked in a bit to see me at work, and watched what i did. I was scared the result wasnt good because of ly lack of knowledge of the equipment, but i tell you...if you know your business, and you are tested like this by someone that knows his/her business, they'll know in literally seconds where you are. Some stuff just isnt "fake-able".

Giving demo's if you have them, and you are happy with them. Go ahead. Doing the $30/h thing....go ahead. It's not only a test for him, but also for you. If he pays he'll like you...

Bastiaan
Old 02-09-2004, 05:01 PM

another great benifet that i have is...FREE STUDIO TIME!!

Old 02-09-2004, 05:05 PM

That is great!

July

MP3's