Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Will Aspera stop DD central site after Dec.2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad525 View Post
This is a quote from Aspera Tech Support reply on my email:

Although we will no longer offer support, the Central Site will stay up,
so your transfers and server-relay will still work.

Alleluia

I contacted Aspera about their trade-in program. No response in a weeks.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
Guys,
Try this:
http://www.getgobbler.com/

It works great. Good support.
Here is my link:
http://www.getgobbler.com/i/ybZG2

After you try it post your results.

PS,
I only put this up because of Aspera's lack of support and those of us in Post
needing something else to use.

Thanks for the info, it looked interesting, so we tried it.

As always, people can have totally different experiences.
And I'm sorry to say, it was a total disappointment for us.

It seems Gobbler is still in beta - but why make it public if it doesn't work at all? - which is our experience.

We were two guys trying this out.
The guy uploading a session never knew there was a problem (!), except that it all happened very slow. But on the recieving end I saw that the uploads were cancelled, they were "done" but then deleted, they started but halted etc.

All this after I had got the mail saying there was a file sent to me... so the upload was still in progress when the mail was sent.

Only one file (a 103 MB file out of a whole session) was, finally accepted by the system as uploaded. But the sender never knew there even was a problem in the first place. All looked just fine, so he believed the whole session had been uploaded succesfully.
There was no indication of a problem at his end.

My attempt to download this 103 MB file NEVER succeeded; it started slow as molasses and finally reached 100% status (after a couple of hours), but right away the download started all over again from 0%, and again, and again. All night.

But no file was ever delivered to me.

So presumably there was no file, no session, no nothing to even be downloaded, or was there?

This was not a great first impression.
Might have been a bad day.

But we're not very intrigued by the prospect of uploading copyrighted material, to an unknown server somewhere, either. Are you?
What about the owner or the producer of the material?

Summary: they say we could use this as a backup system for our sessions.
Not with this reliability, nor with this speed.

This might of course develope into a very usefull system. Who knows.

Just my experience, of course. YMMV

- - -

On the other hand, the other day we also tried one of the Aspera "software only" DigiDelivery alternatives, and we were blown away by the speed.

The broadband connection I used at that moment was 10Mbits down and 1Mbits up, and the speed at which the files moved was 9,6Mbits down and 960Kbits up!

That's saturating the line.

The next step is to try it with a much faster broadband connection.

We're still a little bit confused how this software only solution can replace a DigiDelivery system, but we have to dig into it.

Another question is: is there really a point-to-point transfer taking place, or are the files buffered on an Aspera server somewhere?

Anyone of you guys tried the Aspera software solutions?
Does AVID have anything to say regarding the current status of DigiDelivery?

Seems that the trend is to not use dedicated hardware for any "delivery" anymore?

-matts
Old 12-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Anyone of you guys tried the Aspera software solutions?
Does AVID have anything to say regarding the current status of DigiDelivery?

Seems that the trend is to not use dedicated hardware for any "delivery" anymore?

-matts
Hi Matts,

how did you try the apsera software solutions? I´ve contacted aspera sales about a possible cross-grade that is mentioned on their site and never got a response. For their web-site it´s very difficult to find out which one of their products could actually be a good alternative for DD.

Frank.

P.S.: I´ve tried Gobbler too and found similar things as you did. Also to download something the recipient has to sign up for Gobbler. Not that great. Also uploading confidential footage to "the cloud" is not compatible with some of the contracts and NDAs I´m tied in.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Gobbler

Smile Re: Will Aspera stop DD central site after Dec.2011?

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself. I am the CEO of Gobbler. I noticed that some of you have tried the service and have some bad results. I'd love to help get to the bottom of them.

We just posted an update to Gobbler which should address the file sharing issues mentioned in the post. If you wouldn't mind trying it again to see if you have a better experience we would most appreciate it.

WRT to speed, privacy and safety. Our entire system is built on Amazon EC2, S3. It provides extreme redundancy and security. All files are encrypted before leaving your computer. From end to end we are focused on maintaining the privacy of your work and its security. Our bandwidth is as fast as Amazon's. Our previous build had a networking bug that has been addressed. So you should be able to max out your bandwidth on the up and downloads.

I completely understand concerns about privacy and security and that trust has to be earned. In the coming months as we move out of beta we will be announcing partnerships and artists relationships which I hope will help assure our users that we are a credible company whose mission is to create tools for this community which are useful and reliable.

My other company Frank The Plumber (www.franktheplumber.com) has been fortunate to work with some of the biggest artists on the planet. Integrity and trust are a cornerstone ideology of both companies. In the case of Gobbler we are being entrusted with some of the most important assets in an artists life. Any break in that trust would be the worst possible outcome for a company like ours. With all that, trust still has to be earned and we hope that over time the community will see that we are here for the long haul and will continue to innovate and listen.

I invite you to reach out to me directly if you have any questions and thank you for giving us a look.

all the best,

Chris
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Hi Frank
we started to use Aspera Faspex transfers and i can say it's pretty fast-takes about 7 min to download/upload approx 500 mb file-pretty fast. We don't have our own Aspera server but use client servers for both download and upload. it is s a possible replacement for digidelivery if you feel you need to replace it. I personally don't see a reason to do it as far as digidelivery works for me
L
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hi Matts,

how did you try the apsera software solutions? I´ve contacted aspera sales about a possible cross-grade that is mentioned on their site and never got a response. For their web-site it´s very difficult to find out which one of their products could actually be a good alternative for DD.

Frank.

P.S.: I´ve tried Gobbler too and found similar things as you did. Also to download something the recipient has to sign up for Gobbler. Not that great. Also uploading confidential footage to "the cloud" is not compatible with some of the contracts and NDAs I´m tied in.
Hi Frank,

Sorry for the late reply.

I found this page: http://demo.asperasoft.com/ where I used this link "Login to the test page".

For evaluation purposes you can here download demofiles (of different size, up to 10GB!) from the Aspera site, and upload your own files to check speed etc.

Aspera has a myriad of different products, and I have no idea how this all works - and which of them would fit my/our needs.

There are servers (software servers?) as well as client software, as well as browser plugins (like the Aspera Connect).
Some work with Linux, Windows as well as Mac OS X. But some don't work with Linux nor Mac OS X.

To be able to evaluate any of the other products you have to request an evaluation.

I haven't been in touch with Aspera myself, but my reseller has, and I got pricing info on a trade-in from our current DigiDelivery/LT (?) to a new "solution". (I haven't had the time to really look in to that yet, and to tell the truth: I don't even know if they _have_ a solution that would be right for us.)

If you check out Aspera's solutions - or any other manufacturer's! - and find a solution for you, please keep us informed.

-matts
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskantrowitz View Post
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself. I am the CEO of Gobbler. I noticed that some of you have tried the service and have some bad results. I'd love to help get to the bottom of them.

We just posted an update to Gobbler which should address the file sharing issues mentioned in the post. If you wouldn't mind trying it again to see if you have a better experience we would most appreciate it.

WRT to speed, privacy and safety. Our entire system is built on Amazon EC2, S3. It provides extreme redundancy and security. All files are encrypted before leaving your computer. From end to end we are focused on maintaining the privacy of your work and its security. Our bandwidth is as fast as Amazon's. Our previous build had a networking bug that has been addressed. So you should be able to max out your bandwidth on the up and downloads.

I completely understand concerns about privacy and security and that trust has to be earned. In the coming months as we move out of beta we will be announcing partnerships and artists relationships which I hope will help assure our users that we are a credible company whose mission is to create tools for this community which are useful and reliable.

My other company Frank The Plumber (www.franktheplumber.com) has been fortunate to work with some of the biggest artists on the planet. Integrity and trust are a cornerstone ideology of both companies. In the case of Gobbler we are being entrusted with some of the most important assets in an artists life. Any break in that trust would be the worst possible outcome for a company like ours. With all that, trust still has to be earned and we hope that over time the community will see that we are here for the long haul and will continue to innovate and listen.

I invite you to reach out to me directly if you have any questions and thank you for giving us a look.

all the best,

Chris
OK, good to know, I have to check it out.

-matts