Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Folder Tracks (videos & blogs)

to the people who use other DAWs and have been clamoring for "folder tracks" I suspect this makes more sense

for those of us from an actual analogue recording background, it's just headache inducing.

to me part of the appeal of Pro Tools was that its model started from that more real world place not a software place
Old 04-03-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
to the people who use other DAWs and have been clamoring for "folder tracks" I suspect this makes more sense

for those of us from an actual analogue recording background, it's just headache inducing.

to me part of the appeal of Pro Tools was that its model started from that more real world place not a software place
+1 exactly it’s what drew me to PT....... if they really want to learn recording from the bottom up.... give them a Tascam Porto studio 4 track and a blank cassette

The other thing I find most old analog tech’s is they didn’t whinge about things not working they just worked out another way to do it.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 04-04-2020, 01:06 AM

I spent decades in the analog world. I love folder tracks. If you never use more than a few tracks folders are no big deal. Otherwise, in a short while you'll love them too.

Quote:

Old 04-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Maybe.
I’d probably be more on board if I could collapse tracks into folders in the Edit window while maintaining all the faders visible in the Mix window.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Maybe.
I’d probably be more on board if I could collapse tracks into folders in the Edit window while maintaining all the faders visible in the Mix window.
You nailed it. Huge oversight or it just isn't possible with the current mixer engine. Otherwise I am sure they would have given us the ability to hide aux tracks in the edit window while showing them in the mix window....

Hopefully this will get addressed!

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:39 PM

Jesus.. people are never happy..
Old 04-06-2020, 09:37 PM

so glad you're just here in the DUC to express your happiness.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:50 AM

Yeah, that seems like an obvious oversight. Kind of surprising, and I agree, not as useful. I'm not sure about other DAWs, but in Reaper they are separate. In addition to being able to collapse or expand the folder in the Mix window, you have three folder views in the Edit Window. Fully open is one. A second view is the folder track full size but with contained tracks smaller but visible as a mini-view so you can see Items and waves. And there is a third view that the folder remains full size but the contained tracks collapse down to a "line" (hard to explain, but visually helpful) for each contained track. The folder track has a visual indicator which state the contained tracks are being viewed.

Quote:
Maybe.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Maybe.
Humm, interesting since I have so few tracks (relatively speaking) usually between 8-10 on sparse productions and 15-20 on the more complex ones ,I can still see the usefulness, especially in big productions BUT I am curious (not challenging) I am trying to envision as to what condition or specific work flow task where you would want the mix open and edit collapsed ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-07-2020, 08:17 AM

Maybe it's just me but I find the sight of a "faderless" fader [basic folder] in the mix window really disconcerting. Gives me the heebee jeebees.

In theory you could have a mix window with no faders at all. "A non-mix" window.