Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Default Managing I/O settings from session to session.

hey Folks,

I'm just wondering how people manage I/O Setup/files....

PT doesn't seem to save this info with the session and reload when I open the session at a later point, usually after creating new sessions. Do you guys running studios with high workload save seperate I/O files along with the session? is there a way to do this automatically? or maybe it is just the way I'm approaching I/O management that causes a few issues. I try to keep consistency in naming busses and with I/O's tabs I just keep the default naming unless I really need to name something.

I have a I/O template setup that matches session template which also matches a scene setup on my TF5. This all works really well. I have a session template which I use to start a standard session. But with and during the process of recording...etc....etc.... the I/O setup is modified, mostly adding internal busses....etc...etc...yadda...yadda... which can vary from session to session.

Whats happens sometimes if a load a previous session I get miss-matches in the I/O setup having been changed/modified in the previous session. I then have to go back through and rename (actually mostly I just create new busses so if I jump back a session nothing has changed) modify the I/O setup.

I'm not sure why these I/O profiles aren't saved to the session and reloaded when the session is reloaded. Which leads me to believe I am probably doing something wrong with either house keeping or maybe there is a switch/option that I haven't set. I know I can select an I/O profile when creating a new session but there doesn't appear to be an option when you reload a session.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 02-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Managing I/O settings from session to session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
hey Folks,

I'm just wondering how people manage I/O Setup/files....

PT doesn't seem to save this info with the session and reload when I open the session at a later point, usually after creating new sessions. Do you guys running studios with high workload save seperate I/O files along with the session? is there a way to do this automatically? or maybe it is just the way I'm approaching I/O management that causes a few issues. I try to keep consistency in naming busses and with I/O's tabs I just keep the default naming unless I really need to name something.

I have a I/O template setup that matches session template which also matches a scene setup on my TF5. This all works really well. I have a session template which I use to start a standard session. But with and during the process of recording...etc....etc.... the I/O setup is modified, mostly adding internal busses....etc...etc...yadda...yadda... which can vary from session to session.

Whats happens sometimes if a load a previous session I get miss-matches in the I/O setup having been changed/modified in the previous session. I then have to go back through and rename (actually mostly I just create new busses so if I jump back a session nothing has changed) modify the I/O setup.

I'm not sure why these I/O profiles aren't saved to the session and reloaded when the session is reloaded. Which leads me to believe I am probably doing something wrong with either house keeping or maybe there is a switch/option that I haven't set. I know I can select an I/O profile when creating a new session but there doesn't appear to be an option when you reload a session.
Have you tried the "Restore from Session" button at the bottom of either the Input tab or Output tab ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Are you talking about saving an IO setup for different interfaces after you name everything? You can do that in the IO. Just save the files, and if a session is wrong, import the file (you will probably want to choose apply to all tabs) and BAM, you're all set and ready to go.

I cover that here towards the end.

Pro Tools - Name Inputs and Outputs
https://youtu.be/NkcvEjA5FOw

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Have you tried the "Restore from Session" button at the bottom of either the Input tab or Output tab ?
Ah-Ha I knew it was me...... thanks my friend as usual the answer was right in front of me. Funny thing is I use the Import and Export button on the dialog all the time..... plus check "Apply to all tabs" and never noticed that button sitting between......
Old 02-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Are you talking about saving an IO setup for different interfaces after you name everything? You can do that in the IO. Just save the files, and if a session is wrong, import the file (you will probably want to choose apply to all tabs) and BAM, you're all set and ready to go.

I cover that here towards the end.

Pro Tools - Name Inputs and Outputs
https://youtu.be/NkcvEjA5FOw
Yup thats what I have kinda been doing. But as your session progresses ie add more track and busses and such the sessions I/O profile is no longer the same as the original I/O template. I thought that I/O profile some how gets lost and wasn't being save to the session. But the previous poster has pointed out how to reload it.

which leads me to this question. Do you need clear all the Tab's of the I/O setup dialog before you "import from session", do it before you load the session or does the "restore from session" feature clean all this up for you? if you do it after loading a session does it append to whatever is already there (which in some instances might be pretty useful)

thanks for your input folks always appreciated.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Yup thats what I have kinda been doing. But as your session progresses ie add more track and busses and such the sessions I/O profile is no longer the same as the original I/O template. I thought that I/O profile some how gets lost and wasn't being save to the session. But the previous poster has pointed out how to reload it.

which leads me to this question. Do you need clear all the Tab's of the I/O setup dialog before you "import from session", do it before you load the session or does the "restore from session" feature clean all this up for you? if you do it after loading a session does it append to whatever is already there (which in some instances might be pretty useful)

thanks for your input folks always appreciated.
Is there not a preference somewhere like "always import IO settings from session" . . ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~