Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-25-2021, 01:31 PM

Default Disk allocation problem, need guidance

Hi, I understand the premise of disk allocation and I have read the PT manual, but I ran into a problem yesterday and need your help to understand how I can avoid it in the future.

Yesterday I opened a session I finished earlier this year- multiple songs for a rock project. Well I opened one yesterday and the main vocals and main vocal double were both missing. All other sessions were fine except for this one song. Checking the disk allocation revealed an odd problem. For some reason this specific session was referencing my backup drive. For context- I have several drives including my O/S drive, a separate record drive, and a backup drive (all 3 are internal- 2 SATA SSDs and 1 is M2. The sessions live on the record drive. I can’t figure out why Pro Tools saved only these 2 tracks onto my backuo drive.

I determined that after the project was over and I cleared unused files to reduce HD space, I then saved (not realizing those 2 track’s audio resided on the backup folder, then copied the folder from my main drive to the folder on the backup drive- overwriting those files.

The big question is- what did I do to cause the allocation to change? I certainly didn’t go into that menu and change it. What could I have done to cause it in this session, but not the others? I have a vague memory of doing an import session data to bring a vocal playlist in from the backup drive, so I’m thinking that must be it. Is PT supposed to change the allocation in that situation? Project is over and completed successfully, but I’d love to understand this better so I can avoid it happening again. I did end up recovering a consolidated untuned copy of the vocal track by loading a session file backup, so it wasn’t a total loss but the vocals I lost had been tuned and edited.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Disk allocation problem, need guidance

Prefs ---> Import Selection ---> Automatically Copy Files on Import

Caution:
For me, Automatically Copy Files on Import doesn't always work as expected.

Since I've gotten stung by this a couple of times, now after I import, I always check the clip list. Show full path name, and make sure the imported files are where their supposed to be. Sometimes I have to manually copy/paste into session's Audio Files, and then import into session. (Win 10 Pro Tools 2020.5.)
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-25-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Prefs ---> Import Selection ---> Automatically Copy Files on Import
Aaaaah it was unchecked.

I've got it checked now. Going forward I'll definitely check the full paths on the file list before clearing. Thank you for reading all of that and thanks for pointing me to that setting. In case anyone else needs it, here is the full recipe-

Prefs-> Processing -> Import -> Automatically Copy Files on Import
Old 01-26-2021, 08:44 AM

Even when checked, for me it doesn't always work. Caution.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-26-2021, 10:06 AM

Any time you have a chance to and need to copy the audio, use it. The setting you just referenced and in the Import dialogue.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-26-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Any time you have a chance to and need to copy the audio, use it. The setting you just referenced and in the Import dialogue.
Got it! This is likely another place where I got it wrong. Thank you both for your help!