Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Default What if new 11R does not come with ERXP?

I appologize if this question has been asked and answered before, but I didn't find it through searching the DUC or looking at AVID.com. I am looking at purchasing a new Eleven Rack from an authorized dealer. And the dealer couldn't tell me if the expansion pack was included in their 11R, but they were sure that it included Pro Tools 9 LE.

My question is this - since the new purchases of Eleven Rack are supposed to include the expansion pack, if it doesn't have it already installed - will I get a free code to download & upgrade it...or will I be charged the $99?

Thanks for any information on this...hope to get an 11R soon!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Re: What if new 11R does not come with ERXP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dperreten View Post
I appologize if this question has been asked and answered before, but I didn't find it through searching the DUC or looking at AVID.com. I am looking at purchasing a new Eleven Rack from an authorized dealer. And the dealer couldn't tell me if the expansion pack was included in their 11R, but they were sure that it included Pro Tools 9 LE.

My question is this - since the new purchases of Eleven Rack are supposed to include the expansion pack, if it doesn't have it already installed - will I get a free code to download & upgrade it...or will I be charged the $99?

Normally Avid would send you a code and a download link once the product was registered. While I don't know that to be the case in this particular instance I assume that they would do it that way. Your dealer really should be able to answer that question or be able to find the answer out for you.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dperreten View Post

1.)there is no "Pro Tools 9 LE"

it is Pro Tools 9, Pro Tools 9 HD, and there is a Pro Tools 9 MP which is a limited version.

2.) As far as I know, Pro Tools 9 has never been sold with the Eleven Rack - UNTIL a week or so ago when Avid made the announcement that the Eleven Rack now includes PT9 and the Expansion Pack.

So if it is the new bundle with PT9 included, then it will have the Expansion Pack.

UNLESS

This is a manufactures bundle where they roll the price of the PT9 crossgrade into the price of the 11R. So you need to check that out.

If you buy an Eleven Rack and it does not have the ERXP pre-installed or a code for a free download (im not sure how they are handling the inclusion of the ERXP), then more than likely you will have to pay for the ERXP. I have not seen any mention of Avid giving away the ERXP to purchasers of the old 11R bundle.

If you are purchasing an old Eleven Rack bundle, then (in theory) it should be cheaper than the new bundle that includes PT9 and the ERXP - so it may be a wash in the end anyway.

You should do more investigating before making the purchase if you must have the ERXP included.

Check out the description of the 11R on the retailers site, how many amps are included? What effects?

Is a new v.2 iLok included (to auth PT9) ?

Make sure there is a no-cost return period, just in case it is not what you expected.

An authorized dealer should know exactly what comes with the product, and if they dont, they should have someone open up a box and check for you.

What retailer are you looking to purchase from?

I just checked Sweetwater, and their site says it includes the ERXP, so that is an option if the dealer you are looking at now does not have a clear description.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

An authorized dealer should know exactly what comes with the product, and if they dont, they should have someone open up a box and check for you.

I just checked Sweetwater, and their site says it includes the ERXP, so that is an option if the dealer you are looking at now does not have a clear description.
Interesting that Sweetwater doesn't say which version of PT comes with the 11R. They used to say it was 8LE not they just say 'full version of PT'. So no more buy 11R, pay the $250 upgrade and get PT9? All rolled into one now?

QAPLA!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:29 AM

Sweetwater's description now includes the EXP, and mentions Protools without the LE next to it. But it's still not totally clear.

The big question is whether people who buy the old version will be getting an automatic upgrade. Similar to what they've done in the past with LE interfaces, where if you bought one that had an older version in the box, after a new one had come out, you got a free upgrade.

Maybe with tonight's announcements, they will clarify this.

Or Chris or Chimp could tell us.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Interesting that Sweetwater doesn't say which version of PT comes with the 11R. They used to say it was 8LE not they just say 'full version of PT'. So no more buy 11R, pay the $250 upgrade and get PT9? All rolled into one now?
Their catalog says PT9 and has the expansion pack rolled in. Their web site still has the old stuff.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 AM

I checked the website last night and it was part way there.

By the way, this brings up an even bigger question. Only a week ago they announce the 11R shipping with PT9.

But tonight, all indications are that they're announcing Protools 10.

So how's that gonna work?!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
But tonight, all indications are that they're announcing Protools 10.

So how's that gonna work?!
Just a guess. Avid may be shipping the units with the old version of PT (PT9) for and then you use the hardware serial to qualify for a paid upgrade. Or they may have an free amnesty upgrade as in days of yore.

Be interesting to se how it works out.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
1.)there is no "Pro Tools 9 LE"

it is Pro Tools 9, Pro Tools 9 HD, and there is a Pro Tools 9 MP which is a limited version.
Understood, but this is what the dealer told me:

"It should be shipping with PT9 LE -- sorry for the confusion!"

Quote:
uniquesquared.com

Quote:
Normally Avid would send you a code and a download link once the product was registered. While I don't know that to be the case in this particular instance I assume that they would do it that way. Your dealer really should be able to answer that question or be able to find the answer out for you.
I had asked them already, their reply to me -> "We also can't confirm if the expansion pack is installed in this unit as they had not let us know one way or another. Sorry!"
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Their catalog says PT9 and has the expansion pack rolled in. Their web site still has the old stuff.
The Winter 2012 catalog I got yesterday, on pages 90 & 91 where the 11R is says nothing about PT9 coming with it, just a 'full version' of PT.

QAPLA!