How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Default wireless receivers > FOH Rack TRS inputs

Hey everyone,
I have a situation where I may need to run a set of wireless receivers into the TRS inputs of our FOH Rack. The wireless is Sennheiser ew300g3. I'm curious if anyone has ever done this before, and if it was a problem for you for any reason. I can't find the output impedance of the receivers anywhere, but I'm assuming it's a typical line level output impedance. Sennheiser lists the maximum output level of the receivers as +18dBu.
It's just weird to me not running these through a mic pre, and it isn't something I've ever tried before, but I figured someone else has in the past. Anyone want to shed some light on your experiences with this?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Re: wireless receivers > FOH Rack TRS inputs

transmitting mic or line level?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlepore View Post
Hey everyone,
I have a situation where I may need to run a set of wireless receivers into the TRS inputs of our FOH Rack. The wireless is Sennheiser ew300g3. I'm curious if anyone has ever done this before, and if it was a problem for you for any reason. I can't find the output impedance of the receivers anywhere, but I'm assuming it's a typical line level output impedance. Sennheiser lists the maximum output level of the receivers as +18dBu.
It's just weird to me not running these through a mic pre, and it isn't something I've ever tried before, but I figured someone else has in the past. Anyone want to shed some light on your experiences with this?

Thanks!
I'm not following what the problem/issue is here. You hooked it up to a mixer line input and it does not work? It sounds like you already know about the setup menu that adjusts the output level. What exactly is not working? You need to describe exactly how and to what everything is connected.

The bodypack/receiver combo *is* your mic-preamp. You can adjust the output levels as you know and you can toggle between mic/instrument level inputs on the body packs.

If you are going in TRS I think you may want tp use a XLR to TRS adapter cable, not use the unbalanced TS jack on the back of the receiver. Yep seems a stupid design to me as well (WTF put a 1/4" TS jack there and not a TRS balanced jack?)

Darryl
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. The wireless transmitters are a combination of 835 dynamic cardioid handhelds, 865 condenser handhelds and DPA headsets into bodypack transmitters. I do plan on using an XLR to TRS snake from 8 channels of receivers into 8 inputs of the FOH Rack.

I have not actually tried this yet, so I don't have anything to tell you "this is or isn't working." I was just looking for someone to say "yeah I do this all the time, no issues" or "I've tried it and I prefer a preamp"

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM

I do this all the time, if you need more level into the FOH rack go to the AF out on the Sennheiser receiver and turn them up to whatever you need.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 PM

I do it all the time as well. It a non-issue. I've even done it using the 1/4" jacks out of the Sennheiser receiver and that works fine too, it's just 6dB less output. If you're not running long lines, unbalanced lines are not a problem either.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry