How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Default PT9, Eleven Rack and Apogee Duet

Hi everyone,

I have been using Logic with an Apogee Duet for the last couple of years, but have a Eleven Rack inbound which, I believe, comes bundled with PT8.

After searching and scanning the Duc, my question is if I upgrade to PT9, can I use my Duet as my interface, and record the 11R using USB?

I believe I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the low latency monitoring with the 11R (Duet as interface), and if I have to mute the tracks to track without latency, how will I hear myself?

Also, the Apogee website says the Duet cannot be used as part of an aggregate device.

Also, does ADC work with the Duet?

Thanks,
Vince
Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Default Re: PT9, Eleven Rack and Apogee Duet

I don't have an 11 rack, but do have a Duet & PT9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceh View Post
After searching and scanning the Duc, my question is if I upgrade to PT9, can I use my Duet as my interface, and record the 11R using USB?
I don't understand your question. If the Duet is the interface, then the 11R won't be sending over USB. To record the 11R, it has to be the interface. Or I guess you could patch the 11R's outputs into the line ins on the Duet, and record that way, but that seems silly; why not just use the 11R as the interface when you're recording it? You can switch interfaces anytime you like, within the same session.

Quote:
I believe I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the low latency monitoring with the 11R (Duet as interface), and if I have to mute the tracks to track without latency, how will I hear myself?
You can hear your direct signal through the Duet's mixer. If you need to punch in, hearing what came before until record starts, it's difficult to do. I've found it easiest to just record to a new track and comp it together afterwards.

Quote:
Also, the Apogee website says the Duet cannot be used as part of an aggregate device.
I've had some success using it in an aggregate (with my old Mbox 2 Pro), but never pushed it that hard, not trusting it because of that warning.

Quote:
Also, does ADC work with the Duet?
Yes. ADC should work with any interface, and I confirm that it works with Duet.

~peter in oakland
Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Re: PT9, Eleven Rack and Apogee Duet

Thanks Peter.

I will wait for the 11 Rack and do some testing.

Vince