Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Cool Sync Audio - Editor Used Camera Track Only -Waveform Sync?

Hi All,

I've never encountered this situation before, so I really appreciate any advice.

I'm about to mix a documentary where the audio that was recorded to an external recorder was never used by the Avid editor while he was cutting - rather only camera audio. My question is: what is the best way to go about syncing it things from the external recorder? Which software/program/feature? It WAS recorded using the same timecode, but can I use that timecode info now that the cut is finished (lots of b-roll video placed over audio) - so do I need an audio EDL? Can avid do that?

So stressful!

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!!!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Sync Audio - Editor Used Camera Track Only -Waveform Sync?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304928

and

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=297420

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Thanks Craig. Both other posts were downers, however. Anybody have any luck w/ Synchro Arts Titan?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Yes an Audio EDL will definitely help you. An avid will produce this.

Titan is the beast for this sort of task. It will only do as good a job as the EDL you provide it and settings you make. Be prepared to run a series of test conforms to establish the best settings to utilize.

Always happy to help if you wanted to drop me an email.

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks Ceri. Aware of any rental or 'cheap' or 'trial' version of the software. At about $2000 - it's really quite steep to 'try it out'. I may even be willing to pay, but if it doesn't work...

Anyone else have any good ideas?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM

It has a 14 day trial. Straight from Synchro Arts.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosziv View Post
Hi All,

I've never encountered this situation before, so I really appreciate any advice.

I'm about to mix a documentary where the audio that was recorded to an external recorder was never used by the Avid editor while he was cutting - rather only camera audio. My question is: what is the best way to go about syncing it things from the external recorder? Which software/program/feature? It WAS recorded using the same timecode, but can I use that timecode info now that the cut is finished (lots of b-roll video placed over audio) - so do I need an audio EDL? Can avid do that?

So stressful!

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!!!!!
since there is TC you can you can try the expand to track feature first before spending money. it works well in PT10. no need for titan.

frank.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
since there is TC you can you can try the expand to track feature first before spending money. it works well in PT10. no need for titan.

frank.
I will echo franks idea here, recently I had a 2 hour awards show that was edited using the line cut and instead of using titan etc. we loaded the multi track into the session and expanded to new tracks, this also helped since we could pick and choose which mic we needed, there were 6 live mics on stage and it would suck to have 6 channels of audio for every single announcer even though they were using only one of the mics. in PT 10 i believe you can now do this without loading all the multitrack audio into the session so you can keep things tidy, you can point it to a folder with all the audio.

MKD Creative