Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2002, 04:44 PM

Default Windows XP Professional

Hello,
Ihad been dual booting my system with ME and XP so that I could run PT. I finally got the download for the XP compatible version. I have 2 questions 1) I know that it is only technically compatible with XP home but is there a real big difference between pro and home such that it shouldn't work properly on pro?

2) Ever since I upgraded my operating system from Windows ME to Win XP pro, my computer has not had 1 crash (over 3 months), when I was using ME it would crash at least once a week. After installing Pro Tools on my XP it crashed as soon as I tried to run the software. I uninstalled it and removed the hardware, restarted the computer verified that the hardware was not there, then powered it off and started over (reinstalled hardware and software) as soon as I tried to run Pro tools my computer crashed again (I did let the install restart my computer like it asked). Prior to Pro tools the computer was perfectly stable and had NEVER crashed.

Thanx for any help!

-Kevin
Old 09-12-2002, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Windows XP Professional

Here we go again Stone (is this time # 32 or 33? I've lost track again! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Windows XP Home is "officially" supported by Digidesign. XP Pro will work (on a single CPU system ONLY), but isn't "officially" supported yet.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:01 PM

Phil, you kill me sometimes...

The questions / thoughts I have are:

- The installation of the 001/PT was done in the exactly prescribed order...

-If the installation needed to reboot, then let it reboot. It needs to do that. So heh, DO [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] IT...

-If you just moved PT from the Me partition over to the XP partition without getting rid of your Me partition, this may be a source of some troubles. (?)

Any other thoughts, folks???
Old 09-12-2002, 11:21 PM

Stone Knife,

1) I believe I did the installation in the correct order. I installed the hardware and then installed the software. (although it never started the found new hardware wizard, I did wait like 5 minutes, but the hardware was listed in the XP Device manager as unsupported media or something like that).

2) I did let it reboot when it asked me to.

3)I did not bring it up in ME and unsitall the previous version of PT, but I didn't think that would hurt anything because that is located on a different drive? (if you really think it is a problem I can completely uninstall windows ME, the only reason I have it is so I can run the old PT.

Thanx for any further ideas or comments,

-Kevin
posted September 12, 2002 07:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phil, you kill me sometimes...

The questions / thoughts I have are:

- The installation of the 001/PT was done in the exactly prescribed order...

-If the installation needed to reboot, then let it reboot. It needs to do that. So heh, DO IT...

-If you just moved PT from the Me partition over to the XP partition without getting rid of your Me partition, this may be a source of some troubles. (?)