Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 AM

Default Mac: internal Mic and Speakers I/O problem

I'm a Pro Tools rookie trying make a recording on my MacBook Air to learn a few of the ropes. My input should be my MacBook Mic, and my output should be my external headphones. However they're not acknowledged. Initially when I set to record, I got feedback, since the output was the laptop's headphones. I jimmied with the playback engine, and now I have either "no input" or the McBkArSpk is greyed out. The external headphones are not registering as an output and I have no input. What's going on here?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 8.23.47 AM.png (49.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Mac: internal Mic and Speakers I/O problem

Hi friend what interface you have under playback settings ?

If in Mojave be shure to check your mic privacy settings too .
Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 AM

Hi Jeam25,

Thanks for your reply. In the Playback Engine menu, I've tried the pro tools aggregate I/0, I've trie MacBook Air Microphone, MacBook Air Speakers, External Headphone and none have given me the desired I/O combo: Input Mic, Output External Headphones. Toggling between them, the Input menu is either blank (no input) or reads MacBook Mic, but is greyed out.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 AM

Mic privacy settings checked ?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 AM

Yep, all good there. When I opened PT for the first time, I got horrendous feedback. So initially, the mic was the Input, the speakers the output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 9.05.33 AM.jpg (29.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Ok check you IO setting in Protools and deafult all of them including the buss tab .

Also verify the Audio/Midi settings where the pt aggregate settings are .
Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 AM

So I went to Audio Midi Set up on my Mac, and now the mic is the working input, and the built-in speakers are the working output, meaning I have lots of feedback. I'm trying now to get my headphones to be the working output, which I've added to the Aggregate I/O on Audio Midi set up, but protools is not recognizing, even after restarting the software. How can I get my headphones to be the output?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexasDave View Post
So I went to Audio Midi Set up on my Mac, and now the mic is the working input, and the built-in speakers are the working output, meaning I have lots of feedback. I'm trying now to get my headphones to be the working output, which I've added to the Aggregate I/O on Audio Midi set up, but protools is not recognizing, even after restarting the software. How can I get my headphones to be the output?
This is not making sense, and I have a feeling you are not describing what very well what you are trying to set up.

What exactly do you mean by "external headphones". You mean bluetooth headphones or wired headphones? What *exact* make/model?

For conventional analog wired headphones: On a MacBook Air I believe the speakers and headphone socket are the same main out device. If you plug headphones into the the Mac headphone jack it should mute the speakers (and the icon in Audio MIDI setup audio page will change from speaker to headphones).

Do the headphones work with other applications with that laptop?

Attach a screen shot here of the Pro Tools Aggregate I/O page in Audio/Midi Setup showing all the details.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-20-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Ok please check in PT IO settings and look in the output section . If possible make a default of everything ( in , out and busses ) there .
Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 PM

If you made an aggregate device, your speakers are probably the default output in it, so Pro Tools is choosing them automatically. In the mixer page just above the pan is the i/o drop down menu. Can you click on there and choose your headphones as the track output?

You likely need to set up the headphone output as the default output in the i/o page part of setup menu. You could post a screenshot of your output page in the i/o setup and we could have a look..