Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Question PT10 more stable PT9? ... or about the same?

Hi there,

I'm a PT 9.0.3 (tried 9.0.6 but it the MIDI thing sucked big time) user on Windows 7 64-bit. Personal experience is that I feel PT is the most unstable thing I could have possibly installed on my PC, and even when I treat it with the greatest of cares it still freezes the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] out of my PC.

Put simple -- I don't care about the new features, I just want to bring some stability to this crap that feels like chatting with a Windows 95 box during the "ping of death" golden age; and since I already have an Avid interface (Mbox 3 Pro) I'm debating myself to either downgrade to Pro Tools 8 (which came bundled with my hardware) or pay the upgrade to 10... but now, if I pay two upgrades in a row (which I don't think it's fun for anybody) and this thing's still behaving like this I'll think I'll go and blast the Avid office where in Buenos Aires (blast as in a loud, sudden sound)

So, any feedback you PT 10 on Windows 7 users have about stability?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Default Re: PT10 more stable PT9? ... or about the same?

I have had endless issues after installing PT10 with an Mbox pro 2 on win 7 64.

The software stalling in play back, error messages stating the buffer settings need to be set higher...

I have followed all the the avid suggestions / tweaks etc but still none stop trouble. There is a new PT10 update but its not helping much.
I have also swapped out my motherboard , ram and CPU but same [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

They have some issues that need resolving and to be honest PT8 worked really well.

I will test some more if i get better results i will post.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Hi digi003, thanks for the feedback. Just saw your post PT10 help please , does PT10 really work on win 7 (digi support please) and see what you mean. I wonder if PT8 is as stable on Win7 64 as it is on XP, maybe that's the way to go.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 AM

Hi, i have never had any issues with PT8 other than the time Avid
released the 8.4 updated and everyone who used a digi003 / 003 rack got
endless errors.

I have run 8 on win 7 64 without any issues.

My view is that Avid release their updates / versions 2 early without thoroughly
testing.

And support seems to be getting worse, any problem the answer is you dont have a texas instruments firewire card.....but I have.
There is always an excuse aimed at the PC user, I can't understand why i have a fully fuctioning system with PT8 and I install PT10 and all the issues are now down to my hardware????

The thing is Ableton, Cubase , Sonar users etc all seem to get on without any
of these issues, whilst we pay through the nose and get problems.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM

PT10 on Win7 64 here.

Stable as a rock with no issues at all.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 AM

PT8 was very stable on my HP xw8400 under XP Pro, PT10 on Win7Pro 64 has proven to be just as reliable. Took some head scratching to get it installed and working, but now it's very solid.

@timothyday_musicandsound
Timothy Day
Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Good, some positive feedback also works. Thanks guys!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 PM

I have to say my PT10HD is pretty stable on my Gateway PC with an M-Audio Audiophile 192 locked to an Apogee Mini-Me via SPDIF or without the Apogee.
I have problems with graphic freezes where the PT screen freezes like a crash but the audio plays on like normal then the graphics catche up to where it should be after about 5 seconds. Important not to start clicking around or at least remember where you clicked while this happens. The GUI commands still seem to be active even though the screen is dead. This could be a serious problem as you could imagine. There are several threads about this but I saw only one inquiry about the person's setup from Avid but no solutions yet. This is a specific PT10 issue. I'm not sure if it's on the mac as well.
I like the real time clip fades and the original file usage. You do have to make sure Interleaved File support is ticked off in the Sessions page.
It's a little embarrassing when a client is watching you edit while your screen freezes. They hear me count to 5 until it unfreezes
I'd say go to 10 if you use a PC for the clip levels and the reduced file list. Another important thing is the 32 bit file support as well as the plug-in compensation.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM

Hi soybalm, I'm trying myself now a trial version of PT10, and so far so good. Still experiencing the annoying "audio device buffer underflowed" specially while fooling around with the zoom during playback no matter what H/W Buffer Size I set (and I can hardly see how the zoom can affect the audio buffer on the hand, but anyway) which I believe you don't experience on HD because of the cache to memory feature that non-HD version lack (such a shame); other than that I didn't experience freezes, nor this 5-second thing you mention even though I exhausted the voices capabilities of my board ('cause been working on 192 kHz sample rate sessions).

I haven't thoroughly tested it against plug-ins other than amp modulators, but as I mentioned it didn't freeze my PC not once so far and MIDI works just fine, which is a lot compared to PT9 (not to mention clip gain's great!). I will very likely upgrade to 10 if it keeps working well during the 30-day trial.

Regards!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 AM

Let us know what you decide,,, My PT's 9.05 has been pretty good, and don't want to rock the boat for the amt. of money they want??!!
By the way, anyone know if you need a version of PT's on the PC you use the trial,,, or can you put the trial on a fresh install with the ilok plugged in??
Thanks ,,, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |