Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM

Default The input path "S/PDIF L-R" was made inactive because its stem is missing.

Here's the situation:

Installed MBox/PT 9.0, worked fine.

Upgraded to PT 11.02, now can't get SPDIF audio thru MBox to record, though I can get previously recorded PT session audio to play back via SPDIF.

Basic routing: Mic to mixer, mixer out to MBox via SPDIF.
Mbox to mixer via SPDIF

I was getting these messages previously, which prevented tracks from being record-enabled:

"Missing Stems
The input path "S/PDIF L" was made inactive because its stem is missing.
The input path "S/PDIF L-R" was made inactive because its stem is missing."

I would remap the i/o to be SPDIF on 3 and 4 manually, and be able to arm and record, but no audio from mic would pass through.

Checked and reset the Playback engine and made sure paths were correct and refreshed, but no good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg input.jpg (36.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg output.jpg (35.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mbox panel.jpg (46.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 AM

Default Re: The input path "S/PDIF L-R" was made inactive because its stem is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampnerd View Post
Here's the situation:

Installed MBox/PT 9.0, worked fine.

Upgraded to PT 11.02, now can't get SPDIF audio thru MBox to record, though I can get previously recorded PT session audio to play back via SPDIF.

Basic routing: Mic to mixer, mixer out to MBox via SPDIF.
Mbox to mixer via SPDIF

I was getting these messages previously, which prevented tracks from being record-enabled:

"Missing Stems
The input path "S/PDIF L" was made inactive because its stem is missing.
The input path "S/PDIF L-R" was made inactive because its stem is missing."

I would remap the i/o to be SPDIF on 3 and 4 manually, and be able to arm and record, but no audio from mic would pass through.

Checked and reset the Playback engine and made sure paths were correct and refreshed, but no good.
I would try deleting all the paths in your I/O Setup and then hit Default.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Default Re: The input path "S/PDIF L-R" was made inactive because its stem is missing.

Hi,
I have recently experienced the same problems you describe above. I have figured out at least some of the problem and solution.

Part of the problem is that the "Setup/IO" screen in ProTools is a GLOBAL setting, not just for the session you are working on. So, if you screw something up in that screen, all of your sessions will be affected. I'm sure there are reasons to be in there, but unless you know for sure what you're doing, I suggest you leave the "Setup/IO" screen alone with default paths. That means not renaming paths too!. I would like to experiment, but it's too painful to correct mistakes (unless there are ways that I haven't yet discovered)!

Now, the solution is fairly simple and yet tricky. If you get the "input path "S/PDIF L-R" was made inactive because its stem is missing" error, then you have one or more tracks with "S/PDIF L-R" as the input path. If you are looking at the mix window, it will be about 1/3 of the way down where it says I/O. The path will be darkly grayed out indicating it's not a legitimate path. Click on the button, choose interface, and select one of the inputs shown that are legit. On my setup it's either Input 1 or Input 2. Do that for every track that is darkly grayed out. The two tricky parts, to me anyway, are that this also applies to "hidden" tracks, if you have them, and the fact that you can't select "No Input" as a valid selection on the first pass at correcting the error(s). You can check to see if you have hidden tracks by clicking on the |-> (bar right arrow icon) in the lower left hand side of the edit window (or select View-Other Displays-Track List). (Oh, and be sure you do this from the edit window and not the mix window or you'll be stuck with the track list showing every time you open your session. There's a fix for that too, but it also is painful.) Once you click on that icon, the track window appears. All the tracks that are showing in your edit window will have a dark gray dot next to it. Tracks with a light gray dot are not showing, so you have to check those tracks and correctly select an I/O path for those as well. Once you have checked all the tracks, and have entered in a correct I/O path, then save and close the session. When you reopen the session, you should not longer received that error (if you do, you missed a track). Once you reopen the session, you can also set any tracks to "No Input", save and close the session, and it will now be retained.

Hope this helps,
TweedyBird
Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Hi TweedyBird, Many thanks for your reply! There's some great info in there, it helped a lot, thanks

Sean